Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Singapore super cheap MiniPC dedicated servers in a homelab Dynamic IP NAT network? - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Singapore super cheap MiniPC dedicated servers in a homelab Dynamic IP NAT network?

Comments

• trewqtrewq Administrator, Patron Provider

@hzr said:

Bobby_T said: Who are you hosted with???

A bunch of the 8GB Leaseweb SSD VPS.

I wish I had of realised how good that deal was at the time.

• @hzr said:

Bobby_T said: Who are you hosted with???

A bunch of the 8GB Leaseweb SSD VPS.

Just want to say congrats & enjoy your servers :)

• hawchawc Moderator, LIR

Have fun when inevitably the police come and smash down your door.

• At very cheap price... I don't really think so, considering the implications that come with it... alongside the fact that you claim to be good enough for SMEs, it's pretty scary if they trust a one-man show running stuff at home.

• Just want to share with you guys the lowest performance server: http://pastebin.com/SKzDcCeA

[root@localhost ~]# wget freevps.us/downloads/bench.sh -O - -o /dev/null|bash
    Benchmark started on Wed Jan 11 12:53:46 UTC 2017
    Full benchmark log: /root/bench.log

System Info
    -----------
    Processor   : Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU  J1900  @ 1.99GHz
    CPU Cores   : 4
    Frequency   : 1999.837 MHz
    Memory      : 3716 MB
    Swap        : 3855 MB
    Uptime      : 2 min,

OS      : CentOS release 6.8 (Final)
    Arch        : x86_64 (64 Bit)
    Kernel      : 2.6.32-642.el6.x86_64
    Hostname    : localhost

Speedtest (IPv4 only)
    ---------------------
    Your public IPv4 is xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

Location        Provider    Speed
    CDN         Cachefly    104MB/s

Atlanta, GA, US     Coloat      5.56MB/s
    Dallas, TX, US      Softlayer   6.99MB/s
    Seattle, WA, US     Softlayer   8.27MB/s
    San Jose, CA, US    Softlayer   8.73MB/s
    Washington, DC, US  Softlayer   6.90MB/s

Tokyo, Japan        Linode      20.8MB/s
    Singapore       Softlayer   88.9MB/s

Rotterdam, Netherlands  id3.net     3.10MB/s
    Haarlem, Netherlands    Leaseweb    7.32MB/s

Disk Speed
    ----------
    I/O (1st run)   : 140 MB/s
    I/O (2nd run)   : 145 MB/s
    I/O (3rd run)   : 139 MB/s
    Average I/O : 141.333 MB/s

[root@localhost ~]#

• GamerTech24GamerTech24 Member
    edited January 2017

@MichaelBui how much would you charge for that server in the United States Dollar a month?

• This better be for pennies per month considering it's a homelab and dynamic IP NAT...

• Cyph3r said:

This better be for pennies per month considering it's a homelab and dynamic IP NAT...

Why do you say that? It's decent hardware and network speed. Dynamic DNS is no big deal.

• @ethancedrik That server is $19.95/m if no contract, $15.95/m if contract 6mths.

@Cyph3r You can't find that price for a dedicated server with 4GB RAM & 64GB SSD & unlimited shared 1GBbps, especially for a server in Singapore.

@willie Thanks :)

edited January 2017

@MichaelBui This has now turning into an offer thread. While I'm happy to see you've pulled this off please apply for a provider tag if you wish to make an offer to the members here.

Thanked by 1Janevski
  • @trewq said:
    @MichaelBui This has now turning into an offer thread. While I'm happy to see you've pulled this off please apply for a provider tag if you wish to make an offer to the members here.

Don't get me wrong! I'm just comparing the cost with other offers on the market. I'm not considering as a provider because there are lots of things missing to reach that level.

Back to the origin, I'm a software engineer and I'm building a network to study scalable web apps. Then I realized there may be people looking for the same things for me so I share this opportunity with the others.

@MichaelBui said:

@trewq said:

Don't get me wrong! I'm just comparing the cost with other offers on the market. I'm not considering as a provider because there are lots of things missing to reach that level.

Back to the origin, I'm a software engineer and I'm building a network to study scalable web apps. Then I realized there may be people looking for the same things for me so I share this opportunity with the others.

Just a friendly reminder :)

Thanked by 1Janevski
  • edited January 2017

Seriously though, it's not tough to get a company registration done for this business you're trying to run, unless you're underage... prove me wrong!

Pretty sure I can get one of my associates to register a company for me for this in no time, and house the server inside our office, connected to a proper business internet line, which obviously comes with a proper SLA and dedicated IPs.

...and that would be better than what you're trying to run here.

Sounds like a plan, but I won't do it. pfft.

• MichaelBuiMichaelBui Member
    edited January 2017

I got married and have a 2yo daughter so I'm surely not underage :)

And like what I said above, I'm a software engineer & leaning about horizontal scalable architecture. I'm unable to run the business so I don't want to register a company (even I'm eligible to do so)

• @MichaelBui said:
    I got married and have a 2yo daughter so I'm surely not underage :)

And like what I said above, I'm a software engineer & leaning about horizontal scalable architecture. I'm unable to run the business so I don't want to register a company (even I'm eligible to do so)

It's really better to have a company registered, pretty hard to get anyone to trust you without a company backing it... even a local like me :(

Good luck on this, though!

flies off

• This is sounding more and more unfeasible by the day, but I'm interested to know what kind of hardware/setup you're running with this (what's the NAT gateway, what ISP is this on), etc.

Thanked by 1theroyalstudent
  • MichaelBui said: I'm unable to run the business so I don't want to register a company (even I'm eligible to do so)

One more thing - please do remember IRAS, they definitely want a cut regardless.

• MichaelBui said: @ethancedrik That server is $19.95/m if no contract, $15.95/m if contract 6mths.

MichaelBui said: And like what I said above, I'm a software engineer & leaning about horizontal scalable architecture. I'm unable to run the business so I don't want to register a company (even I'm eligible to do so)

Contract?

Would you mind showing us an empty copy of the contract template?

• @Janevski By saying "contract" I mean the commitment from the person.

Thanked by 1Janevski
  • @eLohkCalb Thanks for reminding me :)

@Boltersdriveer I just open certain ports for certain servers inside my LAN. For ISP, I'm running M1 Fibre Broadband @1Gbps.

• MichaelBui said: @Janevski By saying "contract" I mean the commitment from the person.

Alright. image

• MichaelBui said: For ISP, I'm running M1 Fibre Broadband @1Gbps.

From MobileOne's Terms of Service:

Unless we provide our written consent to the contrary, you acknowledge and agree that (a) the Service is provided for personal use at and within the Service Address only; (b) you shall not resell the Service to other persons whether for profit or otherwise and you shall not charge other persons for use of the Service; and (c) you shall not use the Service to operate as an Internet service provider or to operate any server services (in relation to Subscribers to Home Broadband service delivered via fibre technology, this includes without limit HTTP/web, SMTP/mail and FTP/file transfer services).

Thanked by 1theroyalstudent
  • Knew someone sooner or later will try to do something like that with their residential internet plans. As @Bolstersdriveer has pointed out, what you're doing is breaking the ToS you signed with M1.

• Do you allow tor exit nodes?

• @thharris: If you are not abusing and not running any fraud/scam activities then it's fine

@Boltersdriveer All telecom companies has those terms but people does run HTTP/FTP services from there home. I think as long as we are not abusing the network or running any unlawful activities, they don't really care.

• BoltersdriveerBoltersdriveer Member, LIR
    edited January 2017

MichaelBui said: @Boltersdriveer All telecom companies has those terms but people does run HTTP/FTP services from there home. I think as long as we are not abusing the network or running any unlawful activities, they don't really care.

The fact is: You are knowingly selling services off a residential Internet connection - which M1 has disallowed - and yet you decide to continue doing this.

And there you go folks, unless you're looking for 'Singapore home IP server' type services, you're signing up with someone who does not abide by their service provider's AUP. I don't think I need to say more.

• Yes, you are totally right and that's the reason I only recommend these servers for development & study/research purposes

• BoltersdriveerBoltersdriveer Member, LIR
    edited January 2017

MichaelBui said: Yes, you are totally right and that's the reason I only recommend these servers for development & study/research purposes

Boltersdriveer said: (b) you shall not resell the Service to other persons whether for profit or otherwise and you shall not charge other persons for use of the Service

Still not allowed unless you are providing free services off of it.

• @Boltersdriveer According to term (c), even I provide server for free, it's still NOT allowed.

• MichaelBui said: @Boltersdriveer According to term (c), even I provide server for free, it's still NOT allowed.

Correct. However, if you have their Static IP service, private non-commercial use is allowed.