Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Hiring] Developer (Preferably Node or Python) See inside for details
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

[Hiring] Developer (Preferably Node or Python) See inside for details

Hey guys,

I'm looking for a developer who can help me code an agent that will be running on an ubuntu server running nginx. It should interface on a http api server and be able to do the following

• create virtualhost
  • delete virtualhost
  • modify virtualhost (i guess this can basically be the same as deleting then recreating)
  • detect if there is a custom/manually modified virtualhost (filename will be something like site.custom.conf) and return different output if it's custom
  • get information about a virtualhost (particularly its bandwidth usage. perhaps using this module here https://github.com/vozlt/nginx-module-vts or a custom lua script?)
  • set/modify other miscellaneous commands that I will probably need. Basically, all stuff that I would normally do manually but I want automated via an easy api.

I would prefer someone do this in Node or Python which I find easier to read/understand, but am open to developers who feel another language would be easier. I did a little basic research and it looks like there are some decent looking nginx conf generators/parsers such as https://github.com/tmont/nginx-conf for node.

Please respond publicly with any questions so that I can answer them publicly (to lessen future questions) and PM any offers. If you have a portfolio, please include that as well.

Comments

• I think @joepie91 is familiar with these languages.

Thanked by 1Jonchun
  • @Ishaq said:
    I think @joepie91 is familiar with these languages.

Should have mentioned I've already reached out on IRC and am waiting for a response. Still looking for others though just for alternatives.

• A ballpark estimate for your budget?

• @Jonchun you know where to reach us ;)

Thanked by 1Jonchun
  • JonchunJonchun Member
    edited December 2016

@telephone said:
    A ballpark estimate for your budget?

Looking to spend $xxx. Not a huge budget, but hopefully it's enough to get me something. If this is unreasonable given my project scope mentioned above, feel free to let me know why and which parts in particular will warrant the project costing more and I'll see if I can scrounge up some more money to raise the budget. As you can probably tell, I'm looking to code some other parts of my project and just want a simple API to interface with for it instead of dealing with the nitty gritty of configuration handling.

@GCat said:
    @Jonchun you know where to reach us ;)

Heh. I'll shoot you a PM in a bit to see if you guys can do the project.

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

@Jonchun said:

@Ishaq said:
    I think @joepie91 is familiar with these languages.

Should have mentioned I've already reached out on IRC and am waiting for a response. Still looking for others though just for alternatives.

Hmm, I didn't receive anything. Might be because I have +R set right now (PMs from registered users only), due to the PM spam on Freenode lately... if you weren't authenticated with NickServ, you would've gotten an error somewhere in your server tab. (This kind of thing is why I generally prefer contact by e-mail.)

Either way, I'm about to go on holiday until January 9, so I won't be available until then. I don't know how urgent the project is, but if you're still looking by then (or you're willing to wait until I return), I will have a closer look at the requirements when I get back, and draw up a formal quote.

The amount of work is mostly going to depend on what the "miscellaneous commands" entail and how feature-complete the nginx-conf module is going to be. If nginx-conf does everything you need and it does it correctly, and the "miscellaneous commands" aren't too complex to implement, $xxx should be possible.

• NixtrenNixtren Member
    edited December 2016

This might also aid the development:

https://github.com/makenova/nodeginx

I'm using nodeginx-cli to manage nginx virtual hosts (pretty awesome!).

Thanked by 1Jonchun