Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What are some of the lowest rates you have paid for a dedicated box?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What are some of the lowest rates you have paid for a dedicated box?

ForwardWebForwardWeb Member, Host Rep

Just out of curiosity, what are some of the lowest monthly (non promo) rates you have paid for a dedicated server and at what cost?

The second part to this question, what were the specs of the server, what was it used for and how reliable was the dedicated box?

Comments

• sinsin Member
    edited December 2016

My Online.net kidechire for €1.99/month and my Online.net 8 core, 8GB RAM, 160GB SSD box for €10.99/month. They both have been very reliable.

-edit- added euro :-)

Thanked by 1netomx
  • @sin said:
    My Online.net kidechire for 1.99/month and my Online.net 8 core, 8GB RAM, 160GB SSD box for 10.99/month. They both have been very reliable.

1,99? what currency?

• @brian777, both are euro

Thanked by 1tukiman
  • €1.99 for Online.net Kidechire

• williewillie Member
    edited December 2016

brian777 said: kidechire for 1.99/month and my Online.net 8 core, 8GB RAM, 160GB SSD box for 10.99/month

Those are both promo I'm pretty sure. Cheapest regular price I know for a dedi (4 core ARM with 50gb ssd) is 2.99 euro/month from scaleway.com. I've had one for a year or so, mostly idle but it works nicely if you don't need a lot of computing power. If you want something more heavy duty, better post what specs you want.

• willie said: Those are both promo I'm pretty sure

Yup, both were promos...I usually miss out on a lot of the good deals that sell really fast (like some of the kimsufis, vortex's atoms, etc) so I was really happy to get in on the Online.net deals (especially the 10.99 euro deal which I love).

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

sin said: 10.99 euro deal which I love

if you love it so much, why not marry it?

Thanked by 2switsys sin
  • @willie said:

brian777 said: kidechire for 1.99/month and my Online.net 8 core, 8GB RAM, 160GB SSD box for 10.99/month

Those are both promo I'm pretty sure. Cheapest regular price I know for a dedi (4 core ARM with 50gb ssd) is 2.99 euro/month from scaleway.com. I've had one for a year or so, mostly idle but it works nicely if you don't need a lot of computing power. If you want something more heavy duty, better post what specs you want.

I wish they will bring that promo again, i just like the dedicated CPU so i wouldn't worry with my usage anymore, anyway the CPU is ARM, is there any GPU like Adreno, Mali, or such?

• agoldenbergagoldenberg Member, Host Rep

My two boxes with @Virmach at $29 USD and $30 USD are probably the cheapest :)

• williewillie Member
    edited December 2016

brian777 said: I wish they will bring that promo again, i just like the dedicated CPU so i wouldn't worry with my usage anymore, anyway the CPU is ARM, is there any GPU like Adreno, Mali, or such?

The kidechires were not exactly available in huge quantity so you would have been lucky to get one. I don't remember what cpu the have but it wasn't terribly fast iirc.

I don't know if the Marvell chip in the Scaleways have a gpu but the Mali etc. have no FOSS support to speak of anyway. If you want to transcode video or something, you may be better off with an x86 box. Note that Scaleway has those 8 core Atom dedis with 16gb ram for 3.6 eurocents/hour if you want one for just a little while. Atoms are slow though.

I agree with you that having a dedi is liberating. I rented one at Hetzner partly because it was the cheapest way to get a lot of storage at the time, but I've also done some large computations on it (>1 week nonstop on all 4 cores) that would have been intolerable on cheap vps's. I'm spending around 30 usd/month on it and as a serious geek I figure it's worth that much just to have a nice fast knockaround box available whenever I want it.

I've seen some other decent dedi deals at 200/year (delimiter) or 239/year (forget where) recently. You can also get a buyvm slice with no cpu limits starting at 3.50 usd/month, but that's fair share i.e. you won't get anything like the speed of a full core much less a dedi.

• @netomx said:

sin said: 10.99 euro deal which I love

if you love it so much, why not marry it?

because it's still a cheap slut

Thanked by 2netomx bugrakoc
  • €0.00

• 2,99 at scaleway. Although one could argue those are not really dedicated...

• williewillie Member
    edited December 2016

dodedodo said:

2,99 at scaleway. Although one could argue those are not really dedicated...

The file system is a network block store in the same rack iirc, so there's no local storage, but it's a dedi in the sense that you have the cpu and memory to yourself. E.g. I'd expect mlock(2) to lock memory pages for real, rather than simulating a lock that could still be paged out by a hypervisor. I could see using that for some security stuff that I wouldn't be willing to run on a VPS. Similarly there's no other users running programs than can mess with cache timing etc.

• @dodedodo said:
    2,99 at scaleway. Although one could argue those are not really dedicated...

How come?

• thistle said: How come?

Because the storage is on a shared device. The cpu and ram are dedicated.

• kidechire - €1.99/month ( Online.net )