Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VPS with fully routed IPv6 or one which allows NDP proxying for VPN
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

VPS with fully routed IPv6 or one which allows NDP proxying for VPN

mxp13mxp13 Member
edited December 2016 in Requests

Good day, everyone.

I would like to know, are there providers in the LET realm who offer fully routed IPv6 subnet to the VPS or their customers, or who allow NDP proxying for VPN usage (whichever more convenient)? I ask this because I plan to split a block from the subnet I am given to OpenVPN to allow connected clients to have their own public IPv6 address.

To my knowledge and from experience, this is practically not viable with providers who use SolusVM and possibly others, even if they provide native single IPv6 or a subnet for customers to use. So, except using either HE's Tunnel Broker which is very easy and quick to get IPv6 going on OpenVPN, use OpenVPN-AS (though I need to assign individual IPs manually; it is in the official documentation), or IPv6 NAT to one public and native IPv6 address like I am currently using with a provider running SolusVM, I am only left with Vultr (which is as easy as HE's TB) or none.

Since using TB is rather pointless when there is IPv6 on the VPS, OpenVPN-AS has a user limit, and IPv6 NAT is plain undesirable, I am seeking for providers who can fulfill this requirement.

Thank you.

--

Necessary info as per forum guideline:

• VZ Type: Any
  • Number of Cores: Any
  • RAM: Any
  • Disk Space: Any
  • Disk Type: Any
  • Bandwidth: 200 GB ++
  • Port Speed: 100 Mbps ++
  • DDoS Protection: Not required
  • Number of IPs: 1 IPv4 & fully routed IPv6 subnet of /122 or higher, or one that allows NDP proxying
  • Budget: USD 3 p/m or USD 7 p/q
  • Billing period: Monthly or quarterly

--

• Edit #1: Fixed the the formatting of necessary info section as a list.
  • Edit #2: Forgot to add the word "providers" in the "seeking for" part in the last paragraph.
  • Edit #3: Correction of the wrong terminologies to the right ones; and post formatting. See here.

Comments

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

Do either of those do a routed /64?

Francisco

Thanked by 1mxp13
  • If natted ipv4 would do, then you could take a look at i83's offers.

Thanked by 1mxp13
  • mxp13mxp13 Member
    edited December 2016

@Francisco: I am assuming you are referring to either DO or Vultr. I am unsure about DO as they only give out 16 IPv6 addresses, so I think not. But I do know Vultr does since I got the OpenVPN setup going well on my test VPS there by referring to this article on how to split the subnet into smaller ones and dedicate them to services in the server, in my case OpenVPN. How about your service; is it possible to achieve such a setup with your configuration?

@teamacc: I would prefer having a dedicated IPv4 but it I am out of options, I might give them a spin. Thank you for mentioning them.

Earlier, a reputable provider here has PMed me and generously given me a trial server to test a prospective fully routed /64 subnet setup but it seems, after a series of tests, what I am intending to achieve does not work, either due to technicality or my limited knowledge. It was a OpenVZ VPS on a SolusVM panel with, I think, a manually routed /64 to an interface.

That said, I would appreciate it very much indeed if prospective providers out there who can do fully a routed /64 to a VPS in the mould of Vultr, can afford a day or two of trial server for me to test around. If none, I shall resume using Vultr for such cases which has the advantage of hourly billing, since I do not run it quite as often for now (only two to three consecutive weeks). However, if there are providers in the LET realm who have a working configuration as required with comparatively lower pricing and competitive specs as compared to Vultr, I might just let it run on a monthly basis.

--

Edit: Typo: "a day or two or" to "a day or two of"

• I've been able to add IPs rather easily to my new SpeedyKVM VPS through SolusVM, and it's been the least painful of any of my manually-setup IPv6 integrations.

Thanked by 1mxp13
  • rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited December 2016

are there providers in the LET realm who offer fully routed IPv6 subnet to the VPS or their customers, like DO or Vultr?

Whoa whoa hold your horses right there. Neither DO, nor Vultr offer routed subnets.

As for Vultr, they provide a /64, but it's not routed, it's on-link. To route that further into a VPN, you need to run NDP proxying, e.g. with ndppd. But that's mostly just a hack and a workaround, hardly an ideal solution.

As for actual routed ones, Linode can if you ask them. Others that come to mind are Online.net, Vstoike.

Thanked by 2mxp13 howardsl2
  • mxp13mxp13 Member
    edited December 2016

@WSS: That is good. I can confirm that adding both individual IPv6 addresses through SolusVM and on the VPS by using ip -6 addr add do work, together with their usage even though it is kind of limited only to the main network interface (venet0, eth0, ens3, etc.). However, I am looking for solutions which can allow me to use and split a routed subnet to be assigned to another interface such as tun so it can subsequently use the splitted subnet as it pleases, as I can achieve using HE's Tunnel Broker (very quick and easy using this guide which works excellently on OpenVZ especially or just use the straightforward manual by HE and fire up OpenVPN) and the one I mentioned in the previous post in regards to Vultr. I would like to avoid using an IPv6 tunnel if possible while at the same time, looking for alternatives to Vultr.

@rm_: I apologise if I am mistaken in my usage of terms, as my knowledge of these things are very limited at best, but as I stated, using this guide, I was able to set up everything quite well. Tested on a couple of instances on Vultr, with IPv6 enabled.

Edit reply to @rm_ (did not see his edited post): Ah, I see now. You are correct in your explanation. I apologise for my misunderstandings and usage of the wrong terminologies. I have a server with one of the providers you listed, so I might ask them.

• After being corrected by @rm_ in his post, I think it would be better if I rephrase my request in the right manner. I am looking for a routed subnet to a VPS or an on-link configuration which alllows a customer to use NDP proxying by using services like ndppd to route it into a VPN. Even though he mentioned using NDP proxying as being "mostly just a hack and a workaround, hardly an ideal solution", I think it would be very much acceptable for my case.

Thank you.

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider
    edited December 2016

We can route a subnet, but you'd need to up your budget a bit.

See https://lowendtalk.com/discussion/99636/clouvider-special-uk-london-cloud-vps-from-4-50-and-dedicated-servers-from-just-39/p1 for our latest LET offer.

Thanked by 1mxp13
  • I will look into the offer, @Clouvider, and shall message you if I am interested. Thank you.

Thanked by 1Clouvider
  • We can do a /64 IPv6 for you in Netherlands on any of our KVM VPS plans starting from 2.29 EUR (SSD)

Drop me a PM if interested and I can set you up with a free trial first. :-)

Thanked by 1mxp13
  • That sounds good, @Verelox. I shall drop you a line if I wish to try your service. Thank you. :)

Thanked by 1Verelox
  • UrDNUrDN Member
    edited December 2016

I can provide you a /56 that would be routed to the VM. You can subnet it into /64 which you can route through the tun interface. NDP proxying is not required.

The cheapest configuration cost US $6/mo and the /56 is a free option.

Thanked by 1mxp13
  • Thank you, @UrDN, but I have just got my needs sorted out before I got to your post. I took note of your offer and will contact you if I find myself needing such a setup in the future.

To everyone, thank you for your offers and insights. I have chosen to go with @Verelox and got everything working smoothly. Consider my request to be fulfilled, until such a time I need to re-open my request.

Thank you once again. :)

Thanked by 1Verelox