Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Replace shared hosting with VPS's
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Replace shared hosting with VPS's

I currently have a dreamhost account that I have had for..... well over a decade.....dang too long. So I have been thinking about ditching them and spinning up a few VPS and run my own ISPConfig on them and possibly save some money in the process. Basically I have about 6 or so domains of my own that I have on DH now. About half of those have MySQL backends. Only about 2 of them I host the email, the others I let google scan all my emails... lol.

I use very little traffic currently (a VPS with 500GB/month would be more than enough) and about 50GB disk space.

I am thinking of getting a few, say 3 or 4, VPS from two or three providers and split the ISPConfig servers across them to have some kind of redundancy. Should I be able to do this for a reasonable price? I am thinking like $60/year or so for all of them combined. Should I just bite the bullet and keep the DH account, get multiple VPS and move to selfhosting, or do one VPS with ispconfig?

Poll not found

Comments

• SSDBlazeSSDBlaze Member, Host Rep

Switch to VPS if you want to save money, however. Make sure you know enough Linux to where if something breaks you can fix it.

• @SSDBlaze said:
      Switch to VPS if you want to save money, however. Make sure you know enough Linux to where if something breaks you can fix it.

Linux is not an issue for me. Been running it for 18+ years. Not a pro but I can hold my own. :)

Thanked by 1SSDBlaze
    • @kameleon said:

@SSDBlaze said:

Linux is not an issue for me. Been running it for 18+ years. Not a pro but I can hold my own. :)

Can you say the same about WordPress exploits?

• jvnadrjvnadr Member
      edited December 2016

kameleon said: I am thinking of getting a few, say 3 or 4, VPS from two or three providers and split the ISPConfig servers across them to have some kind of redundancy. Should I be able to do this for a reasonable price? I am thinking like $60/year or so for all of them combined.

60 per yeas for 3 vps, is 20 per year for each one. You will not get top quality vps by spending so little money, except if you catch some good offers from reputable companies.
      500GB per month and 50GB disk size, is not low. How many visitors per day do you expect? Are those sites cms or static files? Do you host all of them to a single dreamhost account or you have several? These are critical questions to give you an answer about your vps.
      IMO, you need 1 vps for live sites, 1 vps for live mirroring, 1 (or better, 2) storage vps for daily and weekly backups and a separate server as your mail server. Mirroring can be a small vps, as this will not handle any real traffic and will become an instant parachute if something goes wrong with your main server. The storage vps will be your backup parachute if something break your mirror, too. And your mail server should better be hosted on a separate box.
      You can setup a redundant system with 3 vps, but you have to consider that you will need a lot of time to maintain those boxes.
      Daily checks, frequent backups, mirroring, managing mail server etc. You need admin knowledge and time to do so.
      I am not a dev or tech professional myself, but I host websites, mailservers and projects in my dedis and vps for my endeavors and some for my friends . I learned first how to administrate those boxes and I spend a lot of time daily to check them, mostly because I really like as a hobby this area.
      If you are not capable to manage your own infrastructure, I would say to you, grab a vps first and learn. Setup sites, mailservers, projects and when you are ready and you are sure that you have time, plan your strategy and do it.

• jvnadrjvnadr Member
      edited December 2016

WSS said: Can you say the same about WordPress exploits?

What wordpress exploits? Are you one of those "admins" saying" write your own code to host a site?
      WP is a stable platform, that can be hacked as any other platform or app in the web. Nothing is absolutely bulletproof. It is secure until you full it with poor written plugins and an insecure server. After all, WP is now driving over 25% of the world wide web. 10's of thousand of developers, are writing and developing code and addons for WP. Would those be facts, if this platform was shit?
      An experienced linux admin/user can handle fine WP. Securing WP is an extension on securing his whole infrastructure.

• I prefer shared hosting just so I'm not the one who has to restart the server if something breaks, scour the net for the latest security patches, etc. I run web servers on vps mostly when I have to run special software or the like. This is for personal stuff. For business stuff, once you're at a certain size you need an ops staff on pager duty 24/7. At that point your best deployment strategy will depend on what you're doing.

Dreamhost doesn't sound so great imho. I'm impressed with buyshared.com. I have a small plan with them and though it's low traffic it's been working well, and they're very responsive to tickets etc.

• @jvnadr said:
      What wordpress exploits? Are you one of those "admins" saying" write your own code to host a site?

A bit touchy, eh? I was only inferring that you'd have to manage your own plugins and stay abreast of the most common issues with the platform, rather than which is often automated for you with shared hosting services.

• vimalwarevimalware Member
      edited December 2016

Start off with : Run Sandstorm on min. 2Gb ssd kvm vps. (let sandstorm take care of minimising your attack surface and updating the 'platform')

Your time and attention is probably more valuable elsewhere.

You can always escalate to full micro management if something doesn't work for you.

https://docs.sandstorm.io/en/latest/using/security-non-events/

There's a sweet kvm deal on netcup.de with 2xdedicated cpu threads, 3GB dedicated RAM and reasonably fast SAS raid10 disk for 50Euros/yr currently.
      https://www.netcup.de/bestellen/produkt.php?produkt=1607

Thanked by 1bersy
    • If I'm serving a north american audience, a server in EU seems like an unnecessary potential bottleneck. Not sure what to suggest with comparable resources and price level in NA though.

• Shared

• IkoulaIkoula Member, Host Rep

Hello,

For six domains pickup one VPS and backup websites on another server or take a second VPS to do it, but as told by others manage a VPS will eat time and i am not sure the money saved will worth it moreover considering it is just a few websites.

• Managing your own server(s) is going to cost you more than $60/year in time alone. Regardless, you could still get started with your plan by dropping $15 on a single server and lay the groundwork for the larger switch. You'll find in short order whether or not you're fooling yourself about your budget or your skills.

• VPS is life! Buy multiple, host everything in one, and idle the rest. It's the LET way!

• ForwardWebForwardWeb Member, Host Rep

A couple questions you should ask yourself are..

• How much money will I actually be saving?
      • Is the money I will be saving worth the extra time I will need to invest in server management?

If the answer to the second question is yes, then go for it. If not, then stay in place.