Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

vps for unifi
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

vps for unifi

I need a cheap vps for my unifi cloud controller. Here's the specs I believe I need:

1 cpu core
512MB ram
20GB+ disk (ssd/ssd cache not needed but would be cool)
100mb or better link
1 IPv4 static
1TB transfer
US based

Looking to get this in a yearly if possible so I don't have to deal with another monthly bill. Something I can enable FUSE module on would be awesome.

and..... GO!

Comments

• Thanked by 1Ishaq
  • $24/year?

512MB RAM, 30GB HDD, 1TB @ 1Gbps, 1 IPv4.

FUSE can be enabled.

Thanked by 1kameleon
  • gestiondbigestiondbi Member, Patron Provider

Check or DeepNet Solutions offers! We can enable FUSE on request.

Regards, David

Thanked by 1kameleon
  • We can offer the following KVM in Tampa, FL:

• 1 CPU core

• 512MB RAM

• 20GB SSD storage

• 1TB bandwidth

• 1 IPv4, IPv6 available

• $20/year

Let me know if you're interested!

Thanked by 1kameleon
  • @kameleon What's a unifi cloud controller?

• @kameleon your specs are still generous.
    A Unifi cloud controller requires next to nothing resource-wise. You can basically take the minimum required spec for the Linux distro itself.
    That thing will only ever cause a minimum of traffic if you set up a captive portal for a guest wifi and have some guests using it.
    If not, you'll have only some MB of traffic a month.
    Go look at the threads here asking about the cheapest VPS available and it will be enough as long as it runs the linux of your choice.

I had one run in a docker container recently, but that of course is probably not the best way to go for a real production thing.

Good luck.i wish I had more Unifi stuff... The last client insisted on Zyxel. Brrrr. Significantly more expensive, almost as absurdly over-complex as CISCO and bugs present.
    I'd choose Unifi over that any day.

• @dodedodo said:
    @kameleon What's a unifi cloud controller?

it's a mangement platform for these Ubiquiti wifi units;

https://ubnt.com/unifi/unifi-ap/

Thanked by 1kameleon
  • Wait, you're gonna put your network controller on a random lowendbox?

• @Janevski said:
    Wait, you're gonna put your network controller on a random lowendbox?

as long as it's a reputable VPS provider and the host OS is properly locked down then why not ..?

• mik997 said: as long as it's a reputable VPS provider and the host OS is properly locked down then why not ..?

No network infrastructure should depend on third parties. No infrastructure data should be exposed to third parties. Shortly said, if i can't own, have and physically bite the box i won't use it.

Thanked by 1southy
  • lol we're arguing this point on 'third party' infrastructure .. you gotta trust someone or some organisation with your data unless you want to live your life 'off-the-grid' ..

• mik997 said: lol we're arguing this point on 'third party' infrastructure .. you gotta trust someone or some organisation with your data unless you want to live your life 'off-the-grid' ..

There is no such thing as off the grid, everything is connected, but there are more and less dangerous solutions. Cut the middleman, when possible.
    At this point i'll stop poisoning this thread.

• @dodedodo said:
    @kameleon What's a unifi cloud controller?

yup what @mik997 said.

@southy It is not just for my stuff but I am wanting to adopt a few AP's for a couple of friends businesses. Maybe a half dozen total plus my stuff. I'll have separate sites setup so we each can control our own networks. Everywhere I read I'll need the extra memory depending on how many client AP's I adopt. I love the Ubiquiti stuff. It's like the Meraki stuff but without the sticker shock! And no yearly maintenance. I just got the USG, UniFi AP-AC lite, and UniFi 8 port switch in today. Gonna replace my Edgemax-lite and regular old UniFi AP.

@Janevski Yeah, as long as it is a reputable vendor I am ok with it. I just don't want to deal with it on my home network right now. And the controller is only to pull the main config, if the controller vps were to get knocked offline or have an outage it won't affect the running of the networks, only guests couldn't log in if a captive portal was setup or if a new device was trying to provision.

Thanks for all the input yall!

Thanked by 1mik997
  • @Janevski said:
    No network infrastructure should depend on third parties. No infrastructure data should be exposed to third parties. Shortly said, if i can't own, have and physically bite the box i won't use it.

@Janevski while understanding your concern, and while such a policy would indeed be possible with Unifi (ubiquity actually offers that as a standalone appliance, too), I believe one should understand the tradeoff any hosted thing has: You gain features, stability & flexibility, but you loose security. Do you run all your mailboxes on own metal?
    The OP apparently cares for management of small networks which would probably not be properly managed at all and then certainly not more secure if he has no such option.

For a network with a handful of access points, how often do you think someone will check on the events in the security gateway? Or review guest policies? Or understand which switch port with which VLAN the staff should connect their new intelligent toaster to?

Unifi has, with the controller being out-of -bound, a setup that allows this with existing but limited exposure. Yes, config and such stuff is stored in a VPS, but on the other hand someone can take care at all now.

• @kameleon

@southy It is not just for my stuff but I am wanting to adopt a few AP's for a couple of friends businesses. Maybe a half dozen total plus my stuff. I'll have separate sites setup so we each can control our own networks. Everywhere I read I'll need the extra memory depending on how many client AP's I adopt.

I understand. Then you can afford the sizing that you laid out I'll the beginning.
    Don't blame me for trying to size you down- this is LET, after all ;-)

However janevski is correct in pointing out you shouldn't underestimate security - yes, an outage of the controller is not a big thing (apart from captive portal), but you_ do_ have the config of your stuff including probably the wifi keys on a VPS, so take basic hardening steps.

• You may actually be interested in Ubiquiti's hosted solution - Unifi Elite. There's a discussion on their Beta forum with the details at the moment and per-device pricing, though it's scheduled to launch in February 2017 supposedly.

Thanked by 1mik997
  • unifi elite is too expensive, but really if you are not running ciritcal infrastructure getting it on a vps is not really that too bad of an idea.