Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Any idea why my Malwarebytes Premium uses ~400mb RAM?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Any idea why my Malwarebytes Premium uses ~400mb RAM?

YmpkerYmpker Member
edited December 2016 in General

Just running it in Real Time Protection mode, not doing an actual scan and it (MWBP Service) still uses ~ 400mb. Kinda weird. ESET uses waay less and if I remember correctly Malwarebytes also did not always use this much RAM.

Comments

• They rewrote their app. What's your version? Mine is 3.0.4 and is using ~300 MB.

• mailcheapmailcheap Member, Host Rep

Malwarebytes used to be really light on the resources; very similar to Kaspersky which currently uses ~80MB on active protection in background.

• YmpkerYmpker Member
    edited December 2016

@Nixtren said:
    They rewrote their app. What's your version? Mine is 3.0.4 and is using ~300 MB.

2.2.1.1043 for some reason :O

@mailcheap said:
    Malwarebytes used to be really light on the resources; very similar to Kaspersky which currently uses ~80MB on active protection in background.

Exactly the reason why I wonder whats going on^^

@Ympker said:

@Nixtren said:
    They rewrote their app. What's your version? Mine is 3.0.4 and is using ~300 MB.

@mailcheap said:

Might be doing an automatic quick/rootkit scan; otherwise that's too high!

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • That way it only has to free the memory a handful of times to scan your Linux ISOs. Optimization!

• @mailcheap said:

@Ympker said:

@Nixtren said:

@mailcheap said:

Maybe in settings I should disable "Scan for rootkits" ? :P
    Upgraded to v 3.xx now btw^^

@mailcheap said:

Maybe in settings I should disable "Scan for rootkits" ? :P
    Upgraded to v 3.xx now btw^^

I wouldn't recommend that :) One way to know if its doing background scanning is to look at the CPU usage; if its idling, CPU should be 0%, RAM ~80 MB, 1-2 processes. Any active scans should use more CPU, RAM or processes.

• It's using 38mb+100 on mine, so a total of 138mb. I'm using the Lifetime edition Malwarebytes Antimalware on Windows 10 Pro x64.

• varwwwvarwww Member
    edited December 2016

It's using 39MB here. v2.2.1 Running realtime. :o Didn't realise a new version is released.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • deployvmdeployvm Member, Host Rep
    edited December 2016

I'm using Malwarebytes Premium 3.0.4 with default settings (real-time) on Windows 10 64bit and it's using ~218.7MB when idle (which is a lot).

With realtime disabled, it uses 180MB still...

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • @sin said:
    It's using 38mb+100 on mine, so a total of 138mb. I'm using the Lifetime edition Malwarebytes Antimalware on Windows 10 Pro x64.

Im also using the lifetime edition :) Atm I disabled realtime scans with mwb and have just eset security running until I find a proper solution. Ive found that when Im gaming (Clunterstrike) with mwb enabled im laggin and without it smooth as ever. Before Ive used Avira Free and did not have any performance issues. Sad to see a paid software causing me troubles xD

• varwwwvarwww Member
    edited December 2016

Updated mbam to v3.0.5. Running realtime - Using 8.7 MB RAM in the background. Seems like the new update is lighter on resources (dropped from 39 MB)

• YmpkerYmpker Member
    edited December 2016

So I tried a few tweaks and reinstalled mwb and now I get this result in normal runtime mode (Real Time Protection enabled ofc but no actual scan is active). ESET seems to handle RAM quite well and their "Gamermode" reduces its usage even more when I wanna play. MWB does seem a bit better now though. What do you guys think?

On my Gaming RIG
    MWB + ESET uses about a total of 312mb RAM in "normal" mode without active scans.

And On my laptop
    MWB + Bitdefender Free seem to use even more (455mb RAM) in total.

@Ympker Too many processes using CPU & way too much RAM on idle; reminds me of Norton in the old days! Why not a single solution like Norton/Kaspersky?

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • Ympker said: Im also using the lifetime edition :)

The lifetime edition rocks :-) I think I paid $15 or so for it years ago on Newegg and I've been using it ever since.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • @sin said:

Ympker said: Im also using the lifetime edition :)

The lifetime edition rocks :-) I think I paid $15 or so for it years ago on Newegg and I've been using it ever since.

Grabbed some 40ish $ deal someone here on LET posted :) And yeah it rocks if it werent for my recent performance issues^^

@mailcheap Well I could only stick to MWB but then I wouldnt have an Antivirus (aside from BrainEXE)