Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What does ipv6 mean to you? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What does ipv6 mean to you?

2»

Comments

• emgemg Veteran

Education: IPv6 is another learning opportunity for me. I have IPv6 on one of my VPSs. It is not supported on the other three VPSs.

I am still having problems getting IPv6 to work on my AT&T DSL connection from home, despite buying the designated "AT&T approved" IPv6-compatible DSL modem (/router/wifi/all-in-one yuck!) and despite AT&T's assertion that IPv6 support is tested and working here. Having a known working IPv6 VPS server on the Internet gives me a way to test various home IPv6 setups until I get it to work. The problem appears to be in AT&T's network, by the way.

• @mpkossen said: Only times that IPv6 ping is higher is when it's tunneled, like with BuyVM in Buffalo. Adds about 80ms to the ping.

For me, IPv6 ping to west coast is lower, even with the tunnel.

• WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran

if your server is setup correctly try to download something from IPv6 enabled websites, like: sourceforge.net and you will see difference.

• Right now:

• IRC vanity hosts
    • Something my ISP does not have any will to support
    • At least I have servers with v6 connectivity

In the future:

• Bigger space (useful for Minecraft servers hosted on one big box)
    • More IRC vanity hosts!
    • Something my ISP will be forced to support.
    • Something China has to support.
  • More work, same pay.

• It means to me, that I cannot remember my favorite VPSes IPs anymore :(

• nobody talks about fees, and extra charges, hello sir how many ipv6 would you like out of the trillions available now ? yes please send $150 USD for 12 ipv6 thank you.

ipv6 suppose to be free or cheaper, but like cloud hosting expensive like hell its like putting a SSD on top of HDD

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited April 2013

IPv6 is free or cheaper on most heck, on all hosts that implement it, I don't know what retarded host did you use that asks to

@kandosan said: send $150 USD for 12 ipv6

• NeoNeo Banned

arwwww, ISP send me a modem which not support IPV6, ridiculous.

• @Neo said: arwwww, ISP send me a modem which not support IPV6, ridiculous.

as always!

and is going to be like that 3-4 years more.

• @chrisp said: It means to me, that I cannot remember my favorite VPSes IPs anymore :(

go hostnames, i dont know even my main ip, but the hostname remember it =D

• @dedicados said: as always!

and is going to be like that 3-4 years more.

I got at /48 on my fiber connection. Have had it for 3-4 years now (I was on ADSL until a year ago, when they put fiber in the ground). So, there are definitely providers doing it. I do use a premium provider, though.