Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do you care CPU instruction sets?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Do you care CPU instruction sets?

OstCollectorOstCollector Member
edited April 2013 in General

I made a test on kvm boxes from @miTgiB , @Francisco and @prometeus about openssl, and found aes-ni is enabled only on @Francisco.
@Francisco has E3-1230, @prometeus has E5-2620. Not sure but believe @miTgiB has moved to E3/E5s as 'DPPS' doesn't trigger a SIGILL.
Also, @Francisco support "march=corei7-avx" compile flag, and the rest fails to use this.

Personally, I hope to use newer CPU features, how do you deal / think of this?

PS: I am a gentoo user, compiling from local mirror.

Comments

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

I pass a different flag set in our libvirt files than the rest.

I've not confirmed if AES-NI actually works inside a KVM, though.

Francisco

• It's important. For OpenSSL I've found Ivy Bridge (E3 v2) having a better instructions than Sandy Bridge (E3).

Don't quote me but it's not aes-ni. Been a while since I played with nginx and OpenSSL.

• @concerto49 said: For OpenSSL I've found Ivy Bridge (E3 v2) having a better instructions than Sandy Bridge (E3).

Correct me if I am wrong, but I was always under the impression that Sandy and Ivy are the same instruction set, just one has a smaller fabrication process, slightly faster and uses less power.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@MrAndroid said: Correct me if I am wrong, but I was always under the impression that Sandy and Ivy are the same instruction set, just one has a smaller fabrication process, slightly faster and uses less power.

I thought it was the same? AES-NI is what helps openssl, if you compile for it.

You get like a 10x boost in performance.

Francisco

• Be aware that all nodes need the same cpu instruction sets for a migration. If you have older and new cpus in use it must be the smallerst cpu instruction sets. With cpu=host should possible to work with the aes-ni instructions inside the vm.

• @MrAndroid said: Correct me if I am wrong, but I was always under the impression that Sandy and Ivy are the same instruction set, just one has a smaller fabrication process, slightly faster and uses less power.

They sometimes add a few things.

@Francisco said: I thought it was the same? AES-NI is what helps openssl, if you compile for it.

There's an extra function/instruction openssl picks up for the openssl hardware acceleration.

• Here is the result from a buyvm storage box

with aes-ni (openssl speed -evp aes-128-cbc aes-256-cbc)
    type 16 bytes 64 bytes 256 bytes 1024 bytes 8192 bytes
    aes-128 cbc 569156.35k 623129.43k 637170.86k 641118.89k 644206.28k
    aes-256 cbc 66778.53k 68780.41k 68643.75k 175028.31k 176174.42k

without (openssl speed aes-128-cbc aes-256-cbc)
    aes-128 cbc 87262.10k 94820.37k 97292.71k 225481.38k 236124.13k
    aes-256 cbc 63926.48k 68285.27k 68295.08k 167436.33k 168173.57k

I don't know why aes-256 cbc don't boost, but aes-128 cbc has a great boost.

The cpu seems to be Sandy Bridge E3-1230
    model name : Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E31230 @ 3.20GHz
    flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss syscall nx rdtscp lm constant_tsc up arch_perfmon rep_good nopl pni pclmulqdq ssse3 cx16 pcid sse4_1 sse4_2 x2apic popcnt aes xsave avx hypervisor lahf_lm xsaveopt

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited April 2013

Having AES-NI helps Tor performance to a ridiculous degree, easily slashing its CPU usage by 5-10x.

• Nick_ANick_A Member, Top Host, Host Rep

Did you ask Tim to enable passthrough?

• @Nick_A said: Did you ask Tim to enable passthrough?

He is maybe waiting for the next version of SolusVM. I remember I submitted a ticket in late Feb.
    And I don't know how @prometeus will deal with it.

I'm current waiting for a small while.

• @Nick_A said: Did you ask Tim to enable passthrough?

Another SolusVM feature that doesn't really work, or the version of libvirt, but when adding in a custom config cpu=host it never passes through

• It works on Solus, but you have to do it with a 'custom config', and it's EXTREMELY touchy. Usually takes me 3-5 tries to get any config changes to stick.