Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

how often do you update/upgrade
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

how often do you update/upgrade

How often do you run apt-get update and apt-get upgrade (or your OS equivalent)? Do you run it manually or via cron or something? Best practices?

Comments

• I run it via cron daily.

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider
    edited December 2016

Depends;
    a.) KernelCare
    b.) Run it in cron on servers that aren't extremely important
    c.) Run it manually once in a while, only immediately for security updates

• Daily

• install unattended-upgrades and it will do that automatically for you.

Thanked by 1elgs
  • I do it via cron daily. So I don't forget it.

• Cron - Update & reboot hourly.

• @IHaveADarkPassenger said:
    Cron - Update & reboot hourly.

Don't you guys call that "Task Scheduler"?

• @WSS said:

@IHaveADarkPassenger said:
    Cron - Update & reboot hourly.

Don't you guys call that "Task Scheduler"?

lol, love you too!

• @ATHK said:
    Daily

Means you restart daily?

• @WHT said:

@ATHK said:
    Daily

Means you restart daily?

Daily

• Abdussamad said: unattended-upgrades

There is a bug in ubuntu which results in
    "update-rc.d warning that start and stop actions are no longer supported"

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/unattended-upgrades/+bug/1606600

• You what? You guys do run apt-get upgrade via Cron? Doesn't that break everything you run once in a while?

• @Shigawire said:
    You what? You guys do run apt-get upgrade via Cron? Doesn't that break everything you run once in a while?

It says that on the console only the stable updates are used.

After using this command which installs the "unattended-upgrades" package in the system to auto updates the packages.
    sudo apt-get install unattended-upgrades

Use this to configure "unattended-upgrades" package to instruct.
    sudo dpkg-reconfigure unattended-upgrades

Then it says this implying only the stable updates are installed.

I didn't test to see this works, because I started using my first vps a couple of days ago.

• mfsmfs Banned, Member

The repos' cache is updated daily. If a security advisory hits the cache, then such update is applied immediately and related services are reloaded. Any and all other updates are manually reviewed, I would never let a cron job accept any and all updates (unless you're running debian oldstable; I'm not running debian oldstable)

• CUTACUTA Member
    edited December 2016

As I read now. It's better to install just security patches and leave the packages to manual update, and then use apticron to inform about new updates and changes of the packages after updating. Additionally use /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/50unattended-upgrades to get informed about the packages that need updates and have problems.

• IkoulaIkoula Member, Host Rep

Should be done manualy, every day after the server backup is finished.

• Depends on how often I expect stuff to get broken.

• @CUTA said:

@Shigawire said:
    You what? You guys do run apt-get upgrade via Cron? Doesn't that break everything you run once in a while?

It says that on the console only the stable updates are used.

After using this command which installs the "unattended-upgrades" package in the system to auto updates the packages.
    sudo apt-get install unattended-upgrades

Use this to configure "unattended-upgrades" package to instruct.
    sudo dpkg-reconfigure unattended-upgrades

Then it says this implying only the stable updates are installed.

I didn't test to see this works, because I started using my first vps a couple of days ago.

Thanks for the insights!

• For my Centmin Mod LEMP stack servers

• Do not upgrade from Ubuntu 14 to 16, there are some serious bugs at this time that may lock you out of your vps permanently.

• I want for stability, so only when there is a big vulnerability on the news or if my software/service crashes and I'd need to restart stuff anyway.

• never, if it's not broke, don't fix it

• Mostly manually and everytime I login to a machine that doesn't host any mission critical stuff.
    On productive machines I do it about once a month and look through the updates before upgrading.

• I never apt-get, I always yum update. Well, that's cause I got a box with a centos all over it. But that's what I do when I want to do it, which I did just now.

• That's the thing about kernels, man. Your distribution just keeps getting older, but they stay the same age.

• Once a week unless there is a security vulnerability.

• Weekly, unless there is a burning security issue. And manually, cause I don't trust any auto-update system. I prefer to be there to deal with any issues associated with updates as they occur.

• mailcheapmailcheap Member, Host Rep

Most importantly security updates daily via Unattended-upgrades or equivalent.

• @rokok said:
    never, if it's not broke, don't fix it

OoOoooOoo what's the IP on that poor box? ;)

Thanked by 1rokok
  • raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

CUTA said: There is a bug in ubuntu which results in "update-rc.d warning that start and stop actions are no longer supported"

There's a bug in ubuntu where you have to use a program called "systemctl" to do everything...

leona said: I never apt-get, I always yum update. Well, that's cause I got a box with a centos all over it.

You can clean out that centos crap pretty easily.

Ikoula said: Should be done manualy, every day after the server backup is finished.

I know you're joking, but there's really two answers here:

(1) sysadmins, security dicks: "Every day."

(2) everyone else: "When I need to".

Software doesn't rust, really...it's just that people find new flaws. I watch my Internet-exposed systems a lot more than I do stuff buried behind the firewall. I know, I know...but the only one who might go rogue is me.

Thanked by 1paily