Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2GB XEN > ? How do you make profits?? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

2GB XEN > ? How do you make profits??

2»

Comments

• @darknessends said: First of all you can not sell the whole node. Lets say you kept 10 GB Memory for your node to manage

lol'd, most dom0's are 512, 1024 is big, 2048 is huge

But how most providers do is they use OpenVZ, oversell the node until they make enough to buy another node and then do that, move the people and do it again.

• @Brightbull said: @mpkossen where the heck do you live then? I travel a lot and everywhere in Europe and the US the food was good, except in Australia where my McWrap was cold. Still have napkins here in Europe! :)

Netherlands. Most McDs suck here.

• @darknessends said: But what do you pay for support of those 56 Virtual Machines and your support staff ??

Outsourced staff is pretty cheap

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

@GetKVM_Ash said: all the moaning you have done

I moan because something seems to make OpenVZ hosts think they have a god given right to lie to customers by calling RAM Dedicated, one idiot here even argued with me and said "It is dedicated ram it is just shared dedicated" so I do not see any comparison here I am offering 100% dedicated 2GB Ram on Xen which is pre allocated, while all the OpenVZ hosts in the Ram race are offering 2 - 3 - 4 GB Ram on the same hardware they were offering 512mb for the same price last year as 'New Offers'

Anyway... my blood sugar must be getting low so I am going to eat something before the Incredible moaning hulk comes out to play.

• @mpkossen

I've been there, never had a bad one yet :L I'm bias, because I work for McD.

• McD is to BK what Windows is to Linux.
    You go there for playing games, not for the food.

• @eastonch said: I've been there, never had a bad one yet :L I'm bias, because I work for McD.

Haha, that may explain it. Lets put it this way: only some restaurants stick to the law and toss away stuff after 10 minutes. The rest just lets it cool. It's terrible. One time, my drink was warmer than my burger.

• @hostingwizard_net said: McD is to BK what Windows is to Linux.

You go there for playing games, not for the food.

+1

• AmitzAmitz Member

@AnthonySmith
    I must admit that I simply love your dedication to the 'XEN' topic. So much temper! I swear that one day, I will get one of your NL packages, just because of the attitude. I have a XEN VPS with iperweb that I am VERY happy with, but as soon as the need for a second one arises, you will be my first choice! You would have to do something custom for me though. I do not know whether this is possible...

• IvanIvan Member
    edited April 2013

Sort of an off topic question here (sorry OP, for thread hogging), but I have a couple of questions.
    Let's say someone were to start a LEB VPSs hosting company, how many dedi boxes would one require, for let's say if someone were to only provide VPSs in one DC/location?

Also, what are the specs that should be required for each/at least one dedi box? And last but not least how much (in USD) of total expenses/money required to start said company?

• tommytommy Member

@AnthonySmith said: Doing all your research by asking in forums is stupid.

+1

• @Ivan Shhh.... you're asking for a secret recipe ;)

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

@Amitz said: I simply love your dedication to the 'XEN' topic. So much temper!

Haha, drop me an email I will give you on on the house for a few months :) I am a nice guy I just don't suffer fools gladly and I get grumpy when I am hungry :p

• BK_BK_ Member

@hostingwizard_net said: McD is to BK

...now it's personal.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

• @marcm
    I do tech support for a large quick service restaurant chain similar to McDs, and they have ridiculously high profit margins. I've seen their cost sheets and they have 20-40% profit margins on most of their items on specials.

• Try getting the 1 Terabyte RAM server from online.net

• shovenoseshovenose Member, Host Rep

you can get a node from datashack for $50, SolusVM is about $20, WHMCS is about $20, a domain is a couple bucks a year if you find a good promo. SSL is like $2 at Namecheap...
    You now officially can be a hosting company!!
    But seriously, get a quality server for like $200-300/month, make an LLC, and do everything right the first month. Don't do what I did and start with a $50 DataShack server without RAID... avoid OVH at all costs.

• Colocate. That simple.

• SPSP Member

Don't limit yourself to only selling LEBs.

• @shovenose said: Don't do what I did and start with a $50 DataShack server without RAID... avoid OVH at all costs.

We tried to tell you

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

@doughmanes said: We tried to tell you

Many people tend to look at me and others like to providers jalous that OVH sells dedicated servers at less than double our VPSes.
    But, while it may be ok for an individual to use OVH for torrenting or for a small site, even back-up box, for a provider it is a nightmare as you do not have the ability to check all the time what your customers are doing and, even if you were, if Murphy strikes, someone will run something with a high packet count and you get booted for DDoS, nobody will care to look if it was real or not and even if they see wasnt real, they still dont need trouble and dont have the will to deal with it.
    So, yes, regular users of LEBs, OVH can be great if they sell to you and you dont need to contact them or their automated tools dont freak out or single you out for any reason, it is indeed great, low prices, good connectivity (well, for some regular guy), good speeds, weird traffic computation in your favour, big disks at times, even raid, everything fine and dandy, but a provider, no-no, I think they actively try to find a casus beli to boot them anyway.

• @shovenose said: you can get a node from datashack for $50, SolusVM is about $20, WHMCS is about $20, a domain is a couple bucks a year if you find a good promo. SSL is like $2 at Namecheap...

You now officially can be a hosting company!!

Thanks for sharing your business plan.

• shovenoseshovenose Member, Host Rep

@Patrick: LOL, i was advising the other person NOT to do that :)