Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

zoho email vs mxroute - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

zoho email vs mxroute

2»

Comments

• OK @jarland FATALITY YOU WIN

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited December 2016

Layer said: Yes, now mostly all shared hosting providers are using mailchannels to prevent outgoing spam and keeping ips clean in blacklists.

They certainly all have great reviews, don't they (they don't)? Using MailChannels is not the only thing that matters. You're still sharing a server with people running vulnerable PHP scripts and if you think that doesn't impact a shared instance of exim/dovecot then you've never been a shared hosting provider. I have, I've seen it all first hand, it's exactly why I made MXroute.

Layer said: But there are tons of providers, they just don't mention that they are using mailchannels

Do any of them mention what they do to focus on email specific features as well, or do they consider the MailChannels code pasted in the exim config to be the end of it, and wipe their hands clean of the feature? Do they do any work on adjusting filters to address trends? Do they monitor their exim instances and make adjustments on the fly to address potential performance issues before they occur? You don't know. I suggest that they don't. I do have a frame of reference in my professional work. I do these things, my frame of reference being myself.

Layer said: Anyone can easily install cpanel even without knowledge in servers as well as setting up mailchannels.

Right, but that doesn't mean that they know how to manage it day to day, or troubleshoot it.

Sure maybe I don't offer something that does your taxes and wipes your ass for you as well, but for $10/year one would think having a mail server admin working on your behalf is maybe worth that less-than-$1-per-month price if email is of any importance to you :P

You won't find someone who does what I do for the price that I offer. That's all I'm saying. If that's not of value to you, that's not an insult toward my product. That means you don't need it, and that's fine. Plenty of people do.

• I'm impressed with what I've seen of mxroute so far. I have some months left on my much more expensive primary email plan, but may migrate it to mxroute when it gets nearer to expiration.

Thanked by 1jar
  • There're great and kind people behind MXroute. The only thing holding me back is the lack of sieve filtering.

• On a tangential: For email-hosting in Europe, what would you guys recommend? MXRoute sadly is not.

• @MagicalTrain said:
    On a tangential: For email-hosting in Europe, what would you guys recommend? MXRoute sadly is not.

Why does the location matter for email hosting?

• @bugrakoc said:

@MagicalTrain said:
    On a tangential: For email-hosting in Europe, what would you guys recommend? MXRoute sadly is not.

Just call it a small act of defiance that ultimately is useless. Still, Id rather have my mail in Europe than US.

• @MagicalTrain said:

@bugrakoc said:

@MagicalTrain said:

Just call it a small act of defiance that ultimately is useless. Still, Id rather have my mail in Europe than US.

I think using MXroute is more defying than hosting your email in Europe, just sayin' :P

• @bugrakoc said:

@MagicalTrain said:

@bugrakoc said:

@MagicalTrain said:

I think using MXroute is more defying than hosting your email in Europe, just sayin' :P

Not sure I follow.

• @MagicalTrain Well, my guess was your motives for not hosting in the US were the US having anti-privacy laws, no? Isn't that what made your choice an act of defiance? So I suggested using MXroute instead, which is one of its kind, and really brought a new point of view to the email hosting business. Hell, I'd call that an act of defiance. Wouldn't you? :)

• @bugrakoc said:
    @MagicalTrain Well, my guess was your motives for not hosting in the US were the US having anti-privacy laws, no? Isn't that what made your choice an act of defiance? So I suggested using MXroute instead, which is one of its kind, and really brought a new point of view to the email hosting business. Hell, I'd call that an act of defiance. Wouldn't you? :)

Correct on first point, but I dont really follow the reasoning on the second point. I havent seen/heard anything bad about MXRoute itself, just that US based hosting isnt something Id want.

• bugrakocbugrakoc Member
    edited December 2016

@MagicalTrain said:

@bugrakoc said:
    @MagicalTrain Well, my guess was your motives for not hosting in the US were the US having anti-privacy laws, no? Isn't that what made your choice an act of defiance? So I suggested using MXroute instead, which is one of its kind, and really brought a new point of view to the email hosting business. Hell, I'd call that an act of defiance. Wouldn't you? :)

Correct on first point, but I dont really follow the reasoning on the second point. I havent seen/heard anything bad about MXRoute itself, just that US based hosting isnt something Id want.

I think this clearly shows us that sometimes jokes cannot be translated. That was just smalltalk I was doing, being a fanboy :) tips fedora Have a nice day sir.

• @bugrakoc said:

@MagicalTrain said:

@bugrakoc said:

I think this clearly shows us that sometimes jokes cannot be translated. That was just smalltalk I was doing, being a fanboy :) tips fedora Have a nice day sir.

Chalk it up to me being German. I just dont have humour.

• @MagicalTrain ah, that explains the search of reason behind my words. Just started learning German last week, interesting language which explains the mindset to some degree :)

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

One may be maintained by an alcoholic where as one definitely is.

Thanked by 2jar Junkless
  • I can fake mastery of German language by roleplaying as an Ork. Lots of intense and guttural groans sound authentic enough.

• bugrakocbugrakoc Member
    edited December 2016

@Yura said:
    I can fake mastery of German language by roleplaying as an Ork. Lots of intense and guttural groans sound authentic enough.

Yeah, that's why I like it. Sounds epic. Couple that with beer dripping from your mustache and you're golden.

• @Francisco said:

I thought that came with the territory in networking/sysadmin roles?

• MagicalTrain said:

Migadu.com (CH) seems interesting to me. HN thread:

https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=13048334

Btw I notice that mailchannels (backend of mxroute) puts "country=CH" into some of its headers, making me wonder if the email is going thru Switzerland.

• willie said: Btw I notice that mailchannels (backend of mxroute) puts "country=CH" into some of its headers, making me wonder if the email is going thru Switzerland.

Some will be probably going via Switzerland based on my limited usage of MailChannel's.

Iv'e seen email coming from 2 locations NovaTrend Services in Switzerland and Gossamer Threads in Vancouver Canada, most email seem to get relayed via the Canada location.

@Francisco said:

I ain't drunk you the drunk one. You can't just decide that I'm drunk. That decision is mine and God's. I didn't make that decision. That is not a decision that was made.

Thanked by 2bugrakoc Francisco
  • what does mxroute use at back-end smtp and imap?

@milo said:
    what does mxroute use at back-end smtp and imap?

Exim and Dovecot.

• @jarland said:

@milo said:
    what does mxroute use at back-end smtp and imap?

Exim and Dovecot.

i see, thanks.

• get a new VPS

• install cPanel
    • configuring mail channels
    • set up a webmail client
    • setting up an smtp relay
    • having no clue what I am doing

... no thanks, I will just pay @jarland a few $$ and use mxroute.

Thanked by 1jar

@AdamM said:
    get a new VPS

• install cPanel

<3

What I offer isn't revolutionary, I know, but it's cheap and effective. I promise to grow on the revolutionary side without significantly growing the cost :)

• @jarland said:

@AdamM said:
    get a new VPS

• install cPanel

<3

What I offer isn't revolutionary, I know, but it's cheap and effective. I promise to grow on the revolutionary side without significantly growing the cost :)

Start offering SMTP relays and I'll give you kiss. :)

Thanked by 1jar
  • Use office365 at the moment as I need the office license, but as soon as I stop needing office then I'll probably switch... That said whatever I switch to HAS to do contacts/calendar sync to the phone