Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A bit of help with Ubuntu 12.04 and Openvz
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

A bit of help with Ubuntu 12.04 and Openvz

BlueVMBlueVM Member
edited April 2012 in General

Alright to sum up what I've been doing for the last 2.5 hours: I've been battling a DDOS against one of our Kansas nodes (effects roughly 20 clients) and trying to get openvz to boot the 12.04 release of Ubuntu...

Im here asking for help on the second problem: When I go to boot the VPS it gives me the error...

FATAL: kernel too old

Now is that insinuating that the hostnode's kernel is too old or that the template's kernel is too old?

2.6.18-308.el5.028stab099.3 is the servers current kernel... if its the host node, well there isn't much I can do at this moment to change that, if its the template does anyone have a suggestion about tricking it into thinking its "new"?

Comments

• The OpenVZ templates don't have their own kernel. The node's kernel is too old to run Ubuntu 12.04, you would need a 2.6.32 based OVZ kernel for this.

• The kernel is referring to the host node's kernel, because Openvz does not run that on its own.

• @rds100 said: The OpenVZ templates don't have their own kernel. The node's kernel is too old to run Ubuntu 12.04, you would need a 2.6.32 based OVZ kernel for this.

That's what I figured... I guess I'll go finish developing hypervm for REHL 6.

• @BlueVM said: FATAL: kernel too old

You need at least 2.6.24 to run Ubuntu 12.04. As @rds100 said, that generally means upgrading the HN to a 2.6.32-based kernel.

Although @francisco said he'd managed to trick 12.04 Beta 2 in running on his .18 nodes, so you may want to ask him....

• @quirkyquark said: You need at least 2.6.24 to run Ubuntu 12.04. As @rds100 said, that generally means upgrading the HN to a 2.6.32-based kernel.

Although @francisco said he'd managed to trick 12.04 Beta 2 in running on his .18 nodes, so you may want to ask him....

I would, but see he's no more likely to share it with me than Microsoft is to share their code with apple. Interesting that he's figured it out... then again I just got the first request for it a few hours ago, with his massive client base he probably had one 3 weeks ago.

• @BlueVM you have KVM plans, right? It should work fine on KVM.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@BlueVM said: Although @francisco said he'd managed to trick 12.04 Beta 2 in running on his .18 nodes, so you may want to ask him....

I haven't put much time into it yet but it worked during my initial. I'll fiddle with it a bit more in the morning probably.

Francisco

• @rds100 said: @BlueVM you have KVM plans, right? It should work fine on KVM.

Yes we do... but of course telling people hey you have to upgrade to this more expensive service to get some updates is kinda sucky.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

Drop the pretty new Ubuntu and go work on your DDOS!

I kid, I kid. But...it certainly is working beautifully on .32! I'm not recommending anyone do the crazy thing like me and install the new gnome though ;) it works...until it doesn't.

@jarland said: I kid, I kid. But...it certainly is working beautifully on .32!

It works on .32 and I got it at least booting on .18 but the big issue is upstart being a ho'

I'll keep fondling it.

Francisco

• @jarland said: Drop the pretty new Ubuntu and go work on your DDOS!

Ha ha... not much I can do other than instruct the DC how to handle it (at least from here).

• @Francisco said: It works on .32 and I got it at least booting on .18

Your thoughts the .24/.26-pve kernels?

@quirkyquark said: Your thoughts the .24/.26-pve kernels?

They're missing some major features, namely in CPU control, so they're not really viable kernels.

With some of the sites/etc we host i'd hate to see them suddenly get access to 16 cores and we have to hope that the cpuunits holds true.

Francisco

I got it mostly working, just going to clean up the template and see where it stands.

Francisco

edited April 2012

Got it sitting at 7M on a 32bit install.

I can probably slim it/replace syslogd with something else and get it in the 5M range.

root@buster:/var/cache/apt/archives# df -h
    Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
    /dev/simfs 2.0G 383M 1.7G 19% /

root@buster:/var/cache/apt/archives# free -m
    total used free shared buffers cached
    Mem: 256 7 248 0 0 0
    -/+ buffers/cache: 7 248
    Swap: 0 0 0

Francisco

No promises, Anthony is very protective of my work :-)

• Well, given how many people copy your ideas, that's pretty understandable boss :P

Touche :p

ill pack up the 32bit template tonight and put it in the beta category. There's only so much testing i can do on my own.

• I'm also building a set of replacement libc debs which are identical to the stock ones but compiled to run on kernels 2.6.9 or newer, which should get rid of the "too old" message and be safer if any old apps/debs are installed by the user. I'll see about integrating them in the official template and try to post them later tonight.

@quirkyquark

I saw you mention in the CVPS thread that going from 11.10 is easier - why is that? I guess upstart is actually in order?

Francisco

• quirkyquarkquirkyquark Member
    edited April 2012

@Francisco said: that going from 11.10 is easier - why is that? I guess upstart is actually in order?

It appears to be. Once you fix the init with this, upgrading to 12.04 as an end-user has been seamless for me on .32 kernel VPSs. On the other hand, trying to go 10.04 to 12.04 has always led to the dreaded cannot find pty, etc. problem.

10.04->10.10->11.04->11.10->12.04 does work though, if you are hellbent on preserving a 10.04 install.... :D

@quirkyquark

Nope, i got a 11.10 template I based myself so I can roll off that easily enough. I was more concerned with going from a non LTS to an LTS.

Francisco

• @BlueVM said: if its the template does anyone have a suggestion about tricking it into thinking its "new"?

I assumed this meant the osrelease.conf trick didn't work, but it certainly does for me on 2.6.18-6-pve... It does exactly what you want it to do. You may need a newer version of vzctl, but that should be a drop-in replacement. See here: a late 3.0-version is probably best. Add ubuntu-12.04 2.6.32 to /etc/vz/osrelease.conf and you're off.

Of course, the usual warning about kernel fakery applies -- it can could lead to weird behavior in some cases, but it shouldn't matter for most "vps-y" things.

edited April 2012

@quirkyquark said: I assumed this meant the osrelease.conf trick didn't work, but it certainly does for me on 2.6.18-6-pve... It does exactly what you want it to do.

Kinda.

It works fine but if you ever need to manually chroot into a VM (it's a botched install, etc), you can't. The glibc route is the most 'ideal' I feel, I just need to finish compiling it to see if it holds strong.

Francisco

• @BlueVM said: Yes we do... but of course telling people hey you have to upgrade to this more expensive service to get some updates is kinda sucky.

cant find in website kvm plan

• @jcaleb said: cant find in website kvm plan

They're kinda hidden. We're out at the moment, we'll have more soon.

As a final on this:

• It is possible to run this on a 2.6.18 kernel w/o issues
      -- and without needing to forge the kernel version
    • upstart & udev are a pain in the ass but workable
    • The official OVZ 12.04 template is a fatty and not worth trying to slim
    • The official OVZ 12.04 template doesn't play nice on 2.6.18 and I'm fairly sure even on forged 2.6.32, I can't remember my tests off that one fully
    • It isn't all that easy to straight upgrade from a lesser version to 12.04. It's possible i'm sure, just a pain in the ass.

With that being said:

(16:58:40) buster:~ root: ls -alh /root/ubuntu-12.04-x86*
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 88M Apr 29 16:30 /root/ubuntu-12.04-x86_64-minimal.tar.gz
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 90M Apr 29 16:29 /root/ubuntu-12.04-x86-minimal.tar.gz

Francisco

• quirkyquarkquirkyquark Member
    edited April 2012

@Francisco said: and without needing to forge the kernel version

So...did you recompile all the libs/execs in your template against the fixed glibc? And how about telling us your fixes ;)

• @quirkyquark said: And how about telling us your fixes ;)

You must be new here

Thanked by 2Aldryic Mon5t3r

@quirkyquark said: So...did you recompile all the libs/execs in your template against the fixed glibc? And how about telling us your fixes ;)

My work is property of the company, it's up to Aldryic & Anthony if anything goes public :P We included the community in our .32 test runs and will do so again in a month or so.

Francisco