Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

iPad Mini
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

iPad Mini

laaevlaaev Member
edited October 2012 in General

The iPad Mini is being announced tomorrow, and according to rumors the base price will be $329 which is a tad less expensive than the regular iPad's.

I am disappointed to see Apple not competing (in terms of price point) with the Nexus 7 and Amazon Kindle Fire.

What are your thoughts on the iPad Mini?

http://www.technobuffalo.com/companies/apple/ipad/base-ipad-mini-model-to-cost-329-says-report/

Comments

• AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

If it indeed costs 300$ and is not too bad, this might end to be the first apple product I waste money on.

• I am hoping they will offer features that are unmatched and not offered in competing tablets which will allow the iPad Mini to stand out.

Depending on that, I might pick up one for myself too.

@FTN_Kevin said: I am hoping they will offer features that are unmatched and not offered in competing tablets which will allow the iPad Mini to stand out.

Depending on that, I might pick up one for myself too.

Unlikely. I'm not a fan of Apple and never found their products inovative. Don't have big expectations. However if it can match the features of the other tablets in that price range, might get one, just for the sake of it

• Um, why would you downgrade to a smaller prison cell? Both iPad versions should horrible.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited October 2012

I'm keeping an open mind. I don't think I want it. To be truthful, I never wanted a tablet in the first place. They were dumb, bulky, and gimmicky. The iPad came along, and all I saw was "iPhone jumbo." Next thing I know I can't put it down and I don't want a laptop anymore.

So who knows... maybe they'll shock me.

In before/after "Apple hater club" fanboys.

@KMyers said: Um, why would you downgrade to a smaller prison cell? Both iPad versions should horrible.

Original.

@jarland
    You prefer tablet over laptop? Can any reasonable amount of work be done on it?

As I need something more portable than my 15" laptop.. So I am trying to deside if I should get a netbook or tablet... While ont he other side the ultrabooks seem really tempting as well.

@Alex_LiquidHost said: You prefer tablet over laptop? Can any reasonable amount of work be done on it?

I never thought I would, but I do. A bluetooth keyboard and VNC into a VPS handles the leftovers. Honestly I've found that if you're willing to ask the question, there's almost always an app that has the answer.

• @Alex_LiquidHost said: You prefer tablet over laptop? Can any reasonable amount of work be done on it?

As I need something more portable than my 15" laptop.. So I am trying to deside if I should get a netbook or tablet... While ont he other side the ultrabooks seem really tempting as well.

I actually do as well. I use my ASUS Transformer TF700 for almost everything, I rarely have the need to pull out my laptop these days. Due to its Netbook style Dock, I can be very productive on it as well as it has a full keyboard.

• TazTaz Member

Don't we already have iPhone and itouch?

• wdqwdq Member

I don't think I'd ever get an iPad, and the same goes for an iPad Mini.

I currently own a netbook and a Nexus 7 for use when I'm away from home. I kind of wish there was an ASUS Transformer style dock for the Nexus 7 so that I could ditch the netbook.

• @wdq said: I currently own a netbook and a Nexus 7 for use when I'm away from home. I kind of wish there was an ASUS Transformer style dock for the Nexus 7 so that I could ditch the netbook.

As a Transformer and Nexus Owner, I am happy the Nexus 7 does not have a dock. The Nexus 7 is designed to a consumption device while the transformer is designed to be a production device. I highly doubt that anyone can get much "work" done on a 7 inch screen.

@KMyers said: I actually do as well. I use my ASUS Transformer TF700 for almost everything, I rarely have the need to pull out my laptop these days. Due to its Netbook style Dock, I can be very productive on it as well as it has a full keyboard.

That Asus thingie, it had 7 hours of battery life, right?

• @Alex_LiquidHost said: That Asus thingie, it had 7 hours of battery life, right?

It depens on the version. The TF101 had a total of 16 hours (8 tablet/8 dock), the TF201 had 16 (10 Tablet/6 Dock).

@KMyers said: It depens on the version. The TF101 had a total of 16 hours (8 tablet/8 dock), the TF201 had 16 (10 Tablet/6 Dock).

Fuck this, 16 hours, that's awesome. I am for sure buying myself one of those. That's awesome, 16 hours of working without charging. I can safely go away and bring it without carying any chargers and etc. Does it happen to have some 3g module inside?

• @FTN_Kevin said: I am hoping they will offer features that are unmatched and not offered in competing tablets which will allow the iPad Mini to stand out.

Lul. Nexus 7 is $200 with Android.

iOS can't touch Android, in terms of features.

Thanked by 1jar
  • @Alex_LiquidHost said: Fuck this, 16 hours, that's awesome. I am for sure buying myself one of those. That's awesome, 16 hours of working without charging. I can safely go away and bring it without carying any chargers and etc. Does it happen to have some 3g module inside?

I am running the TF700 and I am getting a solid 14 hours on it, this thing has a demanding screen. A few weeks ago I took a 26 hour Train Ride for a BigBrainGlobal meeting and It lasted me most of the way (although I did have an AC power outlet at my seat).

It does not have 3G or 4G, and I like it that way. I carry a 3G/LTE/WiMax TriFi Access Point with me. The dock's USB port kept the Access Point charged the entire train ride.

• @NateN34 said: Lul. Nexus 7 is $200 with Android.

iOS can't touch Android, in terms of features.

I am just wondering how many existing Android Features that Apple will "Invent" tomorrow.

@KMyers said: I am running the TF700 and I am getting a solid 14 hours on it, this thing has a demanding screen. A few weeks ago I took a 26 hour Train Ride for a BigBrainGlobal meeting and It lasted me most of the way (although I did have an AC power outlet at my seat).

It does not have 3G or 4G, and I like it that way. I carry a 3G/LTE/WiMax TriFi Access Point with me. The dock's USB port kept the Access Point charged the entire train ride.

If it has USB, that it is not a problem for me. I can tether from my phone to get a good 10mbps.

• @Alex_LiquidHost said: If it has USB, that it is not a problem for me. I can tether from my phone to get a good 10mbps.

Yup, there is a Full Sized (POWERED) USB 2.0 port on the dock

• LeeLee Veteran

Got the TF-201 easily get 15 hours without a charge and it's a very useful little machine, my Latptop rarely see's the light of day given everything I can do on the transformer. Ordering the 700 this week as the wife wants one and like I am going to give her a new one!

• There's no way I would pick up this, or an iPad over the Windows 8 offerings. I would at least wait until the 30th before buying a tablet.

• @KMyers said: I am just wondering how many existing Android Features that Apple will "Invent" tomorrow.

Well, I can guarantee you that a microSD slot is NOT one of them. (Course Google stiffed us on the Nexus 7 too, which is why I don't have one.)

@KMyers, what app are you using to connect to your VPSs? I've used ConnectBot free version in the past on a phone in an emergency, but it was extremely painful. Had a hard time registering screen's command codes.

edited October 2012

There's no way I would pick up this, or an iPad over the Windows 8 offerings. I would at least wait until the 30th before buying a tablet.

Really want a surface. Won't trade my ipad, but I want one. Gotta get my hands on one though to see if it feels as good as it looks from a distance. Finally Microsoft is smart enough to stop putting their success in the hands of companies that make crappy, bulky, cheap pieces of plastic with no internal memory.

Thanked by 1wdq
  • wdqwdq Member

@jarland +1, I want the Surface too.

• Awmusic12635Awmusic12635 Member, Host Rep

@patrokov if your talkin about ssh the app, prompt, would probably be the best.

• edited October 2012

Meh, I had an iPad 2 for a week or so. It was okay, mainly used for browsing the web while in the bathroom.

Laptops are better for everything else. iPads and tablets suck to type on, multi-tasking isn't fun, you can download 'cool apps' to do tihngs your laptop can do but at the end of the day, it's not better than a laptop or netbook.

So, after 1 week I sold mine.

• @wdq said: @jarland +1, I want the Surface too.

Same here.

Although, not digging the $600 price tag though for the keyboard cover version. ;(

• wdqwdq Member

I'm also interested in the $250 Samsung Chromebook. It doesn't run Windows apps, but the Surface doesn't either. It might be lower cost replacement for my netbook when compared to the Surface.

Laptops are better for everything else. iPads and tablets suck to type on, multi-tasking isn't fun, you can download 'cool apps' to do tihngs your laptop can do but at the end of the day, it's not better than a laptop or netbook.

I still felt this way for a while. I think it's like any different platform, it takes a while for it to be productive over what you've always known. Now I handle business faster with it because everything I need is always within reach. The workaround no longer feel like workarounds. I admit though, it took a while. At first it was just to see if I could do it.