Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Are you IPv6?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Are you IPv6?

RaymiiRaymii Member
edited September 2012 in General

Hospital I work "has no plans for IPv6, we have a an A (/8 network of public IPs), why would we bother" <-- quote from one of the network admins...

Of course, my website does IPv6: http://www.ipv6proxy.net/go.php?u=http://[2a00:dcc0:eda:88:245:71:6b8:eae1]/cms/&amp;b=1

Or, for the lucky ones with IPv6 native: http://[2a00:dcc0:eda:88:245:71:6b8:eae1]/cms/

How do you handle it, what are your opinions, your LEBs probably come with IPv6?

Comments

• I've got a ton of IPv6 addresses from two different VPS providers (Florida one, LA the other). But I don't really do anything with them (yet).

• We offer native IPv6 support for all vps hosts. I think native IPv6 support is a must have now!

• A hospital with a /8? That should be some HUGE hospital :)

• no IPv6 is one orange flag for a bad hoster for me (or bad infrastructure, since it's often the DC). All the LET-popular hosts i use have it, and those that don't usually suck in other ways as well.

• Have some of them, but I find that playing with private IP was more interesting... Hehe.. :D

• Yup. Just implemented it to my website few days ago.

• @averell :(

It seems like US DCs are very slow in implementing IPv6

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

I will not buy a VPS without IPv6, unless perhaps it is an insanely awesome deal (but lack of IPv6 and offering insane deals are not one but TWO signs of a suspicious hoster) or is in a very exotic location.

Other than that it's became kind of boring, IPv6 is something that's already here (still not native though), it just works and I use it every day. Like electricity or running water. :)

Thanked by 1ErawanArifNugroho
  • averellaverell Member
    edited September 2012

Yes, i agree US is very slow here. But for example OVH or BuyVM have it (even in non-native colocrossing). In Europe it's probably more a sign of incompetence.
    edit: forgot securedragon

• mmm... Our provider 'promised' IPv6 to be fully avaliable by the 'end of the week', 4 weeks ago.

• mostly agree, though hosts not yet offering native IPv6 are not necessarily suspicious or sucky, but I know where you guys are coming from ;-) It takes a lot more than just willingness to implement IPv6, and a long term strategy justifies the occasional delay, IMHO. In Ashburn, for example, we do have IPv6, but not yet available to clients as we are still ironing out the actual deployment. Like rm_ said, it is already available and can be used every day, like running water or electricity - just have to make sure the cables and pipes run smoothly and dont get tied up, cut off, etc ;-) Overall, I very much enjoy the community's verve to push for IPv6 - motivates hosters as well :)

cheers -
    oz.

• @rds100 said: A hospital with a /8? That should be some HUGE hospital :)

15.000 employees FTE, +5000 non-FTE, +-50.000 clinical patients/year.

@SimpleNode said: It seems like US DCs are very slow in implementing IPv6

RAM Host, BuyVM AlienVPS when it was active, NordicVPS when it was active, Prometeus, Edis, Misterhost.de... Not all US, but all IPv6

• @Raymii said: 15.000 employees FTE, +5000 non-FTE, +-50.000 clinical patients/year.

20k people taking care of just 50k patients a year? Wow, no wonder the healthcare is so expensive in the USA.

• @rds100 said: 20k people taking care of just 50k patients a year? Wow, no wonder the healthcare is so expensive in the USA.

All of healthcare is so expensive all around the world... :D

• RaymiiRaymii Member
    edited September 2012

@rds100 said: 20k people taking care of just 50k patients a year? Wow, no wonder the healthcare is so expensive in the USA.

Those are only the clinical patients which are more then 3 days in a bed. If I count the day treatments, the non-clinical visits and the ER then it is +250.000. Also, the 15.000 FTE includes teachers, administrative, all employees of the hospital. Even the janitor team. And the +250FTE IT dept.

• @Raymii Look at almost any europe dc / provider. Chances are that they offer a /64 block with any colo or dedicated server.

The US, on the other hand...

• gbshousegbshouse Member, Host Rep

We have IPv6 available on all servers and as far as I can see some customers use it

• Yeah...well... I'm going to go bug Incero some more ;)

• We offer ipv6 with our VPSes, only it is not added by default, the customer has to open a ticket and ask for ipv6 addresses to be added - copmletely free of charge. Guess how many of the customers ask for it? Less than 10% ...

• My logs also do not show a lot of IPv6 visits (<3%) but still, it is >@% IPv6... (On about 200 visits/day).

• I have a HE.net IPv6 tunnel set up since my ISP doesn't offer IPv6, but i rarely use it and my PC is configured to prefer IPv4 to IPv6.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

@rds100 said: Less than 10% ...

Single digit percent numbers is actually quite impressive, considering the overall v6 traffic is less than 1% currently.

If you consider that very few ask for it, maybe you should advertise this possibility more prominently?

• @rm_ i think you know how our order form looks like, how do we advertise more than this? It is written in each order form and each invoice "ipv6 addresses - 5 available for free ..."

• I have several LEB's with working IPv6 :

• Prometeus ( 50MB , VZ3, VZ5, KVM )
    • BuyVM

The other is still working as a webserver but not conifgured yet for IPv6.
    If they did not have the IPv6 at 2013, maybe I will leave them,

• Awmusic12635Awmusic12635 Member, Host Rep

Just waiting on the data center we use.

• I have IPv6 at home (tunneled through Hostigation, ~20ms away). It's mostly used for SSH as Chrome seems to prefer IPv4.

• @dmmcintyre3 said: I have IPv6 at home (tunneled through Hostigation, ~20ms away).

How did you set up your own IPv6 tunnel? I think this was asked here before but never really answered.

• @gsrdgrdghd said: How did you set up your own IPv6 tunnel? I think this was asked here before but never really answered.

I don't remember enough to tell you, but http://www.technichristian.net/2012/04/16/ipv6-over-openvpn-tunnel.techni looks simular to what I did

• @dmmcintyre3 That looks like something I'm also going to setup this weekend...

• Nick_ANick_A Member, Top Host, Host Rep

We provide native IPv6 in Atlanta.