Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BuyVM plus who for 4xLEB DNS/NSD cluster?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

BuyVM plus who for 4xLEB DNS/NSD cluster?

twaintwain Member
edited September 2012 in General

Planning on a 4x LEB DNS (probably NSD) cluster (1x primary DNS, 3x slave DNS (or should be 2x primary, 2x slave?))..
OK so already bought a BuyVM 128/256 $15/yr Buffalo, and need 3 more. I would like to have this geographically divergent, so I was thinking another east coast, and 2x more west coast. I'd like to keep these as small LEB's and under $20/yr (preferably $15/yr or under).. so I'm thinking SemoWeb 256M $12/yr Orlando for the other east coast, but what about the other 2 for the west coast? I would like to get SecureDragon into the mix, as their reviews are so great, and they have a $17.99/yr LEB, however appears they are only in Tampa (ESolutions).. Any suggestions?

Comments

• Nothing in Europe or Asia?

• KairusKairus Member
    edited September 2012

I would recommend Hostigation, they have east and west coast servers (I have an LA server). What about a central US server? Lot of options in Texas/Chicago.

• There is, of course, BuyVM SJ. Hostigation LA is also great, and NodeDeploy in Phoenix is flawless, though not technically west coast.

If you want to add in a central US server, go for RAMNode in Texas or VPS6 Chicago.

• Hostigation is excellent, SemoWeb is also running a $12/Year offer at the moment http://www.lowendbox.com/blog/semoweb-12year-256mb-openvz-vps-in-orlando-fl/

Thanked by 1Infinity
  • Here are my LEBs with 2 month network uptime included. Quickpacket has been good.

http://i.imgur.com/Xmclc.png

• klikliklikli Member
    edited September 2012

How about AWS EC2?

• averellaverell Member
    edited September 2012

i also have one at 123suck

@klikli said: How about AWS EC2?

more expensive than 2 LEBs, and that is without traffic. But if you still have free usage tier...

• @averell said: more expensive

Reserved Instances

• @herbyscrub said: Here are my LEBs with 2 month network uptime included. Quickpacket has been good.

http://i.imgur.com/Xmclc.png

What script is that?

• Thanks for the replies all. Picked up the semoweb... now considering the $15 spotvps (although it is unclear the location on the order page), and the $16/yr hostitek (either la or ks)... anyone have good (or bad) experiences with either of these?

• @MartinD Looks custom made, pretty good status page.

http://status.georgeloo.com/

• heh SJ buyvm $15 just happened to be in stock - so bought one of those... so now I have:

1x $15 BuyVM NY
    1x $15 BuyVM SJ
    1x $12 Semoweb Orl

....need one more LEB $15 or under....

• @AsadHaider said: @MartinD Looks custom made, pretty good status page.

http://status.georgeloo.com/

Yeah, I really like that.. and want it :)

• Actually, looks like it's just a custom front end to phpsysinfo instances

• @twain said: ....need one more LEB $15 or under....

http://www.lowendbox.com/tag/yearly/

• @twain said: ....need one more LEB $15 or under....

ChicagoVPS $12?

• @MartinD said: Yeah, I really like that.. and want it :)

Yeap looks very nice! I'd like it too :)

• dmmcintyre3dmmcintyre3 Member
    edited September 2012

Hostigation (US East and west), SecureDragon (US east) and Prometeus/Iperweb (EU)

Thanked by 1connercg
  • eva2000eva2000 Veteran
    edited September 2012

nice project to work on :)

Not sure of the economics behind it as 4x US$15-20/yr VPS = US$60-80/yr unless you're pushing >10+ million dns queries/month and have >25 domains to manage.

versus already ready made service such as dnsmadeeasy.com at US$59/yr for up to 25 domains which also support instant dns updates, anycast dns, load balancer services, auto dns failover and dynamic dns and monitoring. And who's network is already DDOS protected itself.

Of course you can do more than just DNS with VPSes (limited by resources provided).

• @MartinD said: Actually, looks like it's just a custom front end to phpsysinfo instances

It's actually not, but now that you mention it, I don't know why I didn't do that instead lol.

• @eva2000 said: nice project to work on :)

Not sure of the economics behind it as 4x US$15-20/yr VPS = US$60-80/yr unless you're pushing >10+ million dns queries/month and have <25 domains to manage.

versus already ready made service such as dnsmadeeasy.com at US$59/yr for up to 25 domains which also support instant dns updates, anycast dns, load balancer services, auto dns failover and dynamic dns and monitoring. And who's network is already DDOS protected itself.

Of course you can do more than just DNS with VPSes (limited by resources provided).

Yeah, just want to do it to do it really.. I have a pretty good understanding of DNS, but this will undoubtedly provide a better understanding. May also use the boxes for one-off webapps/websites as well.

• @twain said: Yeah, just want to do it to do it really.. I have a pretty good understanding of DNS, but this will undoubtedly provide a better understanding. May also use the boxes for one-off webapps/websites as well.

You probably don't need more than a master/slave. But we all love collecting the LEBs so why not!

• As far as security etc for DNS cluster.. I plan of course to really have only port 53 open and ssh on alt port, so do you all do any iptables rules for port 53 to prevent attacks? I'm sure I could find something on google but would rather get some input from here..

• wdqwdq Member
    edited September 2012

I just bought 3x SemoWeb servers as part of that $12 per year deal. So far they're pretty good. I haven't had any issues with them. But I also haven't been using them for long.

• @twain Rate limit port 53?

• We recently set up a similar thing as back up with BuyVM.

Even got a storage VM just to save us buying some new servers.

It made it easier to have it with BuyVM and take advantage of their new Buffalo location.

I would grab a DDoS IP for each location while you're at it and test Fran's mitigation skills.

• MartinDMartinD Member
    edited September 2012

[@herbyscrub said]It's actually not, but now that you mention it, I don't know why I didn't do that instead lol.

Hand it over then :P lol

• qpsqps Member, Host Rep

@herbyscrub said: Quickpacket has been good.

Thanks for the mention. We keep stock available on our $15 128 MB / 256 MB vSwap plan in Atlanta.

• @herbyscrub beautiful script. I agree with Martin, hand her over! :).

• @wdq said: I just bought 3x SemoWeb servers as part of that $12 per year deal. So far they're pretty good. I haven't had any issues with them. But I also haven't been using them for long.

Hello,

I am confident that you will enjoy our services through out! Thank you for being our customer its means a lot to us.