Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How to acquire a domian that's about to expire?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How to acquire a domian that's about to expire?

u4iau4ia Member
edited September 2012 in General

Just as the title says, how have you successfully acquired an expiring domain? There is a domain that's close to expiration that I have had my eye on. I want it badly :)

Thanked by 1PhoenixVPS

Comments

• BigScootsBigScoots Member
    edited September 2012

If its a domain others might be interested in you need to pursue a domain company that will auction it for you. The redemption period is what, 90 days I think? Just because its expiring you still have about 3 months before you can actually get your hands on it. I used to know the specifics, pretty rusty at this stage, all I know is you can't out compete the auto registers, if you need it, invest $100 or so into a domain auction.

Would be a good idea to google the specifics of domain redemption periods and acquiring expired domains, I really don't keep on top of it in the least.

Thanked by 1u4ia
  • Thanks. I have done some searching on this, and It's about 75 days before I could actually own it. I thought I may need to go the route of an auction from a service that grabs the dropped domains. I have never done this before so was hoping for some first hand advice :)

Thanked by 1BigScoots
  • backordering is a dirty bag.. you often get bad surprises..

• Who is the registrar of the domain?

• @peppr said: backordering is a dirty bag.. you often get bad surprises..

Like what?

@klikli said: Who is the registrar of the domain?

Network Solutions

• @u4ia said: @peppr said: backordering is a dirty bag.. you often get bad surprises..

Like with GoDaddy, sometimes you only pay for the money, but you will loose the domain.

Thanked by 1u4ia
  • @u4ia said: Network Solutions

Go NameJet. Unless the registrant renew the domain, then you can almost 100% get it since NameJet has partnered with NS such that all domains expired will be sold there. Source.

Thanked by 1u4ia
  • Could checkout domainmonster, http://www.domainmonster.com/backorder/

They charge you only when they have the domain in there hands. £29.99 + £8.99 for .com
    http://www.domainmonster.com/backorder/#bopricing

Thanked by 1u4ia
  • Backordering is hit/miss, mainly because you're hoping that your backordering registrar is going to register it before any other registrar.

Thankfully, a few of them only charge once the domain is registered, so it makes sense to backorder from a few registrars to improve your odds.

It just depends on how much you want/need it :)

• I've never used them for backorder but +1 for domainmonster

• I use Domain Monster, also used their back order service a few times and have had 100% success :)

• @klikli said: NameJet has partnered with NS

anyone into partnership with the registrar Directi/resellerclub?

• Does somebody know if it's possible to backorder a domain through internet.bs (maybe
    using their api)?

• @BBTN No, internet.bs doesn't offer backorder service.

• VPNshVPNsh Member, Host Rep

Anybody know of anywhere cheaper than domain monster for backordering? Following a couple of domains at the moment, but don't really fancy paying £40+ each for them.

• @liamwithers I would try name.com - I know GoDaddy is cheaper for that, but I don't trust GoDaddy. Name.com has good customer service, and if I where you I would call them and ask how they handle backordering before signing up with them. I have talked to them on the phone a couple of times and they are very knowledgeable.

• www.backorderzone.com great backordering but it`s expensive

with best we use http://jinmi.com in china,including backorder service :
    1 Snapnames $66
    2 Domainmonster $57.68
    3 Pool $57
    4 Intrustdomains $56.99
    5 Namejet $56
    6 Hexonet $56
    7 Name $46.95
    8 Dnbiz ¥100
    9 Backorder $15.99
    10 Jinmi ¥100
    11 Godaddy $13.99
    12 Hupo ¥68
    13 22 ¥39

• VPNshVPNsh Member, Host Rep

@vpsnodebox thanks, I'll have a look :).

@ynzeng are all of those different companies and their pricing structures for backordering?

Anyone know anything cheap and reliable? Also, is it even worth me waiting it out until the domain has expired and try to do it manually?