Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How hard would it be to setup a small datacenter?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How hard would it be to setup a small datacenter?

Shane_ElmoreShane_Elmore Member
edited September 2012 in General

Not like, super professional with cooling and DDoS protection, and all that fancy stuff. Why I ask is because I came up with a idea for when I'm older (around 19 or 20), or maybe sooner, who knows, to open up a datacenter here in Indianapolis as the only DCs here I can think of charge quite a bit for colo (~$300-400 a month). I know you have to get a space, bandwidth and all the necessary routing and networking equipment, but is there anything else that would deter a young adult from opening one? My entrepreneurship class got me thinking of that, as our teacher was talking to me about how it'd be a good idea since I said servers in Indy are quite expensive and overpriced, and if I could find out some way to offer them for less, he think it'd be successful.

EXAMPLE:
nFrame (http://nframe.com), which is down the street from me (not literally but like 1 and a half miles away), quoted $75 a month for a 1mbps unmetered VPS as they "didn't do metered". Same with colo, overpriced ($300 a month).

Please do not post "oh but shane you're only 17 you cannot open a datacenter". I know that, which is why I said around a few years from now.

Comments

• Bad idea regardless of age, if you don't have the proper knowledge (and funding).

• Shane_ElmoreShane_Elmore Member
    edited September 2012

@KnightSwarm_Phillip said: Bad idea regardless of age, if you don't have the proper knowledge (and funding).

Huh, yeah I know that.

Only thing was that a friend who's also computer-savvy showed interest, so it's not like it'd be a one-man show. :)

Not saying I want it done "NOW", just saying for later. :P

• If you don't have or can't get at least $2M capital to start with better do something else.

Thanked by 1Nick_A
  • InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep

@Shane_Elmore said: Only thing was that a friend who's also computer-savvy showed interest, so it's not like it'd be a one-man show. :)

It's not just being computer-savvy, it's having lots of experience in working in datacenters etc. It also requires a massive amount of investment for buildings, HVAC and all that, just not a good idea.

• Basement DC! Wht please.

Thanked by 1TheHackBox
  • Colostore is in SouthBend so not to far from you.

• CVPS_ChrisCVPS_Chris Member, Patron Provider

There is a key point to your question here:

@Shane_Elmore said: if I could find out some way to offer them for less, he think it'd be successful.

That's a big IF, and always a reason as to why a certain area is more expensive than others. To be honest if the already existing companies cannot do it cheaper that are much much larger and established, it is doubtful you will even come close to their pricing trying to start out.

• @24khost said: Colostore is in SouthBend so not to far from you.

Right, but wouldn't that be considered more of a "Chicago-area" DC? I was thinking Indy cause it's central. Anyways, I do realize it requires lots of knowledge and funding.

• @liam said: @william would not agree.

Expanding when you are an already established company is one thing, starting from zero is entirely different.

Thanked by 1Nick_A
  • If you start one your roi is going to be forever. You would need investors and such to make a good DC.

• 24khost24khost Member
    edited September 2012

They are back hauling from Chicago but still there prices are really low compared to other DC's in your area.

I thought about opening a new datacenter in minnesota near where i live. The building, hvac and build out would cost, somewhere in the 2.78 million dollars. That is without first paying for bandwidth, power and such. You would have to have some major contracts to even really think about building your own datacenter.

• Sad truth is your going to need a sufficient amount of money. What's pretty common is a bunch of friends teaming together to build one.

If I was you, I would get a job and work full time, in and around your school schedule and save it all. Buy stock, CD's, and most of all, real-estate. This will show the bank you'll have funds to cover any loses and possible enough to build a DC.

• Plus i forgot to mention, Operating budget. You'll be running at a loss from the start as a typical datacenter most likely run about a 100,000 to 150,000 yearly operating cost.

• qpsqps Member, Host Rep

You're much better off starting with a rack or cage in someone else's facility and once you get big enough, you can start considering your own DC.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

It's pretty easy. All you need is a 10mbit connection and some space under your bed. I saw a quickly deleted thread here the other day about a guy offering dedicated servers for $10 with 1Mbit unmetered. Perfect way to host the blog that no one visits.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited September 2012

It needs much more than just routing, cabling, contracting internet uplinks, cooling, racks, fire equipment, alarms, redundant power, it needs people !
    I think a minimum of 10 to have 2 each 8 hours in the day and one 8 hours in the night, it is already 5, one janitor, one cashier/accountant/receptionist, one mechanic, etc.
    I always thought that you can do the greatest investment and best equipment, if you dont get the right ppl, the customers will suffer and will leave.
    If, on the contrary, you have the right passionate ppl, with 2nd hand 3 yo equipment, the customers will not cease to recommend you.
    Finding the right ppl is the hardest thing to do, and even harder is to find someone to replace the leader, the business owner.
    M

• It's possible, Around in the UK, And other places housing places(like helena) have garages, next to houses, so say if you could Get House ---> 20 Foot away ---> Garage, and then lead power, and a internet connection towards the garage, and boom you space for 10 cabs atleast!

VirginMedia 100Mbps would work Fine. :-)

Just hope no one cuts the power cable! :P

• @Jacob Wouldn't have the best security, could easily break in at night and take away free servers and data lol

Thanked by 1eastonch
  • Shane, you need to scale back on your ideas. Barely 6 months ago you were going to open a VPS host, then you abandoned that, then now you want to open one again, and you want to run a gameserver host, and a gaming community, and now you want to open a datacenter?

You need a reality check. Badly.

• You know he's a dreamer.

• @JTR said: You need a reality check. Badly.

It's entertaining.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

The life of an LEB host is appealing. The cars, the women, the fame. Everyone wants a piece.

• Contact William_Edis -- He'll front you the 2M :]

• edited September 2012

I can agree that there aren't many cheap/affordable datacenters in Indiana, because most of the ones that exist cater to a different market than hosting providers. They want the big business.

I agree with everyone else, setting up your own DC wouldn't be a good idea

There is http://www.thedatacave.com/ which is in Columbus, Indiana. I contacted them like 8 months ago, forget what they said but I believe they're going to be more affordable than your Indianapolis options.

And of course there is http://colostore.com which seems decent.

And I forgot who, but there was a fellow by the name of Jason who ran a company that I believe has servers in Colostore. He's also from Indiana and maybe you could get in touch with him if you want servers IN Indiana.

EDIT: Also, contact http://suso.com/ as they're located in Bloomington and house their servers locally. They don't offer it on their site, but contact them and they can offer collocation.

EDIT2: http://www.hostcolor.com/colocation/ has collocation out of Colostore.

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

@Maounique said: I think a minimum of 10 to have 2 each 8 hours in the day and one 8 hours in the night, it is already 5, one janitor, one cashier/accountant/receptionist, one mechanic, etc.

I know a few DC here in Sweden that are unmanaged 24/7. Cameras monitoring, no on-site staff at all.
    Customers have access to the site, want anything done with your servers... do it yourself. Unless its cabling to/from your rack. Then you need to order it and it will be done in a "timely" fashion.

• Colostore is about the best option for him close to home.

• @jarland said: It's pretty easy. All you need is a 10mbit connection and some space under your bed

Jeezz, u never gave me ideas!! last weekend only i cleared much space under my bed removing the soft-toys, teddies... :P

Thanked by 1jar
  • @qps said: You're much better off starting with a rack or cage in someone else's facility and once you get big enough, you can start considering your own DC.

+1 but first Reseller Shared Hosting -> Reseller on own VPS -> own dedi -> own rack/cage

• I am waiting on the lottery to provide me with my own datacenter.

• KairusKairus Member
    edited September 2012

Honestly, if you have to come here and ask for help with *nix firewalls, and you think you need 50mbit unmetered for a tiny gaming community, I don't think you should be thinking about this. How are you going to set up the bare minimum of equipment to run a 'datacenter'.

You need to sign lease contracts for the building and your uplinks. You need cabinets to put the servers in, you need routing equipment, and you NEED cooling. You can't just shove a bunch of servers in a room and not cool them down. How long do you think a room will stay at a reasonable temperature with even just 30 servers each pumping out 125-145F degree air? Maybe an hour. You need insurance and you need security as well.

Plus, just because existing hosts in Indianapolis charge a lot doesn't mean you can come in and undercut them and get a ton of customers. The market there isn't very big. You can get a server in Chicago and probably get ~25-30ms latency from Indie.

Thanked by 1Nick_A