Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with OpenID
Advertise on LowEndTalk.com

In this Discussion

Who was your 1st provider? [non free]

Who was your 1st provider? [non free]

PatsPats Member
edited September 2012 in General

There are many remembrances of 1st Provider - sweet/sour Or good/bitter experiences :D

My First Provider was C I Host @Dallas/Fort Worth - Reseller Hosting Account (Affiliate model, they didn't have bulk Reseller model that time) and that was around - wait.. long time already - let me check the archive of email used that time (now defunct :P )

Had very good experiences for 6months-1year, then moved to cPanel reseller account with another good provider found at WHT - better savings and better panel to clients.. :) Later quickly jumped to own cPanel Dedicated :P

Edit: i wanted to discuss Non-free providers.. as i also started with Tripod.. geocities.. ourfamily etc. :P

Tagged:

Comments

• hostrail :)

http://BornIn.Asia - FREE shared hosting and subdomain service for LET members! See here for how to get one yourself!
    Have a domain that you have no use for at the moment? Click here to see how you can help! 96Forum: Low End VPS Discussions
  • TazTaz Disabled

000webhost.com

Hate it, like it, more then 90% people here used them or other free provider before using anyone else.

Time is good and also bad. Life is short and that is sad. Dont worry be happy thats my style. No matter what happens i won't lose my smile!

Thanked by 1eastonch
  • edited September 2012

@zhuanyi said: hostrail :)

+1 on this. This is if talking about VPS.

• PatsPats Member
    edited September 2012

@zhuanyi said: hostrail :)

quite happy with 1 word answer eh..? how long? experiences? reseller hosting/ shared hosting/vps/dedi..? :)

• connercgconnercg Member
    edited September 2012

SurpassHosting - cPanel Reseller Account in '03

Still have service with them on that same account, but I'm in the process of moving to Hostingation.

First VPS is XEN over a Secure Dragon.

• CheesymacCheesymac Member
    edited September 2012

Tie, I signed up for two LEBs at the same time, and still have them: Hostigation Secure Dragon

Good experiences for both.

• Oh yeah, excellent experiences...

• First web host (not counting AOL) was mymarkdown.com. They were new back then. First VPS was with 123systems.

jarland.me | Read about my new hosting experiment.

• First VPS xygenhosting.com

• BurstNET. Completely terrible experience.

I am no longer affiliated with IPXcore.
  • InfinityInfinity Retired Staff

First Shared Hosting - some Arab IIS web hosting thing, only for "selected" websites.

First VPS - HostRail, was awesome for me because it was the first VPS ever, I didn't care about speed or anything. Having said that I can't really remember, it was probably crap

First Dedicated Server - RazorServers, still have it to this date, very happy.

我是一个巨魔 (;

• @Pats said: quite happy with 1 word answer eh..? -LOL, I think the rest of the response is unnecessary as everyone knew the story behind it :)

how long? -had it for 10 days, but actually logged in for may be 10 minutes?

experiences? - Refer to my response to the first question :)

reseller hosting/ shared hosting/vps/dedi..? - VPS, since we are on LET :)

http://BornIn.Asia - FREE shared hosting and subdomain service for LET members! See here for how to get one yourself!
    Have a domain that you have no use for at the moment? Click here to see how you can help! 96Forum: Low End VPS Discussions
  • @Damian said: BurstNET. Completely terrible experience.

I am still using them, even used them for production website. Unfortunetely I cant agree with you. For my 1 year with them - not a single outage on my node (there were some major packetloss, around 50%, 3 times so far, which ot resolved int imely manner), didn't have to contact their support even one single time and a great uptime of my node. I think I am just lucky, seeing how many people complain of them.

• Zymic, back in 2006

Rg Enzon, a User Interface Designer.
  • @Jacob said: First VPS xygenhosting.com

@Jacob when?

• My First VPS was with Hostrail when I was running a small Shared host back in April 2011 then VoltVPS then 123 systems :)

• First free hosting: FreeWebTown.com First paid shared hosting: webruimtehosting.nl (Dutch host) First VPS: RAMHost

Appreciate my posts/software/guides? Donate (PayPal/Flattr/Bitcoin): http://cryto.net/~joepie91/donate.html | irc.freenode.net #lowendbox

• @Alex_LiquidHost said: I think I am just lucky, seeing how many people complain of them.

I'm actually starting to think we were on a bad node or something.

I am no longer affiliated with IPXcore.
  • FastVPS $12/year They were quite good for the first few months but I think they're deadpooled now...

• Geocities, Angelfire, Tripod

vpsBoard.com - Now with over 450 members! A friendly community with active discussion. Come join us!

IRC.FREENODE.NET #vpsBoard - Drop by and say, 'Hello'.
  • @Damian said: I'm actually starting to think we were on a bad node or something.

Yeah, this is an option as well. I really had only good experience with them so far. Event he last time I tested the IO speed it was well above 150MB/s. The network is over 500mbps as well.

• First free: Tripod. First free that wasn't awful: Panther Hosting, now defunct First VPS: BurstNET, quite good.

"We are in a prison drama. This is like The Shawshank Redemption, only with more tunneling through shit and no fucking redemption."
  • My first shared hosting : Lovinghosting.com in 2004 My first vps provider: NameCheap, they're still $25 or something at that time, providing XEN HyperVM with 256MB memory in 2004

www.erawanarifnugroho.com - powered by Prometeus XenBiz | Server Uptime status - powered by Prometeus Xen Pune
    I'm not working for any providers in here, all my comments just my own opinion.
  • I just see no "Thank's" button now. Where it goes?

www.erawanarifnugroho.com - powered by Prometeus XenBiz | Server Uptime status - powered by Prometeus Xen Pune
    I'm not working for any providers in here, all my comments just my own opinion.
    Thanked by 1zhuanyi
  • @ErawanArifNugroho said: just see no "Thank's" button now. Where it goes?

Here image

Thanked by 1ErawanArifNugroho
  • First shared: FreeHostingNoAds First VPS: Volumedrive (oh dear, good ol' Scranton) First Dedi: Kimsufi 2G (never used for anything, just a few file transfers/backups)

Cloud Shards | United Kingdom Representative
    Buffalo, Dallas, Los Angeles | 24/7 Global Support
    VPS, Dedicated and Atlassian solutions.

• HostGator for shared, reseller, VPS.

First dedi was HiVelocity. That lasted about one month...

RamNode: High Performance SSD and SSD-Cached VPS
    Atlanta - Seattle - Netherlands - IPv6 - DDoS Protection - AS3842
  • KuJoeKuJoe Member
    edited September 2012

First VPS: HostV/Citrex

Wasn't bad. I learned A LOT. :)

Dec 23, 2007 - April 2008

-m

• First VPS: WiredTree (A bit of a killer waste back then lol)

• Can't remember what my first vps provider was but um, my first venture online was back with prestel and micronet800

• MaouniqueMaounique Member
    edited September 2012

I was at first using free hosts, then one payed for a game, back in the times when 10 MB space and 50 MB traffic were 10 $ or so, a huge amount for me back in the late nineties. I run out of traffic before the last stages of the game and had to pay 10 $ more... I dont remember, but it was an UK based host. My fisrt VPS was in Germany with some guys reselling hezner, terrible experience with "unmettered" 10 mb (huge at that time) I would have been happy with 1 but it wasnt even that... Many years after i was still looking for unmettered, but I gave up some 5 years ago. Since then I had my best experience with eNS (unmettered but just because was recommended by LEA) and didnt regret it a minute, until they went down (i still dont regret it, was worth all the pennies, just regret it ended...).

M

I am only representing myself :)

• AsadHaiderAsadHaider Member
    edited September 2012

A few years back, Virtuozzo Containers vps with Eukhost - They charged £60/mo for what would be a £3.50/mo box here.

Used them for two years, the support and uptime was fucking awesome though. And great network. So worth it for my business.

• First VPS was with a UK company VAServ

ServerBear - Easy UnixBench/dd/IOPS/FIO (NEW) & Network Benchmarks | Example Report | Compare Low End Boxes
    Gleam - Run kick-ass viral competitions & rewards to grow your userbase. Free until Sept.
  • Whoops, forgot to include experiences.

FreeWebTown was always amazing for what it offered - 2GB of space, and very reliable and quite fast too. Sadly, no PHP support or anyhting like that. Free though, so can't complain.

webruimtehosting (for shared hosting) was always very good and still is - I had one billing issue with them, but apart from that they have the fastest shared hosting servers I've ever worked with (including the FTP, etc., everything just flies). Also very reliable, I think pretty much 100% uptime.

RAM Host was, as mentioned, my first VPS host. Was amazing, still amazing, currently have 5 VPSes with them. Very good network, extremely stable servers (counting 379 days uptime on one of my Atlanta VPSes, and 204 days uptime on both my Kansas VPSes), and quite predictable/stable performance. Also, very good support.

Appreciate my posts/software/guides? Donate (PayPal/Flattr/Bitcoin): http://cryto.net/~joepie91/donate.html | irc.freenode.net #lowendbox

• gsrdgrdghdgsrdgrdghd Member
    edited September 2012

http://vps4less.de

That was probably ~4 years ago

President Of Operations/CEO/CFO/CTO/COO of my account

• First vps was around 2003/4 from servelocity.net, don't remember too much about it but shortly after got an additional one from a2b2 VaServ (Russel Foster)

OnePoundWebHostingUK XEN VPSPV & HVM
    UK Shared & Reseller HostingDomain Registration
    99.9% Uptime GuaranteeUK Ltd Company, Established 2006
  • My first vps was from fsck (foster company) that was terrible, always down. I then moved to BurstNET which was better

• x10hosting free, it was okay-ish.

-- BOFH

• Mine was BurstNet.

• First VPS? HostLatch=)

Selling multiple 2000-user GApps :) Shoot me a message to make an offer.

• My first host ever was a Leaseweb cloud, best experience :)

I still have it and it's still amazing.

Ishaq
  • @onepound said: but shortly after got an additional one from a2b2 VaServ (Russel Foster)

He's now the MD at VPS.net, those VAServ boxes were really nippy I loved mine.

ServerBear - Easy UnixBench/dd/IOPS/FIO (NEW) & Network Benchmarks | Example Report | Compare Low End Boxes
    Gleam - Run kick-ass viral competitions & rewards to grow your userbase. Free until Sept.
  • VPS: BuyVM baby! General hosting: Freehostia (I haven't payed for shared hosting in my life)

Solpocalyse 2013 survivor - RIP in peace 2 VPSes

• NexusNexus Member
    edited September 2012

I think it was x10hosting, LOL Way back in the day...

D4jsp - Where virgins roam free
  • My first VPS was BuyVM.

• Sirius.net 1994 I think.. html 1.0 before IE even I think.

• @serverbear said: He's now the MD at VPS.net, those VAServ boxes were really nippy I loved mine.

He's had his hands in many pies over the years. His last mini venture was TechieVPS I think. Nothing like I remember my old Vaserv box, speed and customer service.

OnePoundWebHostingUK XEN VPSPV & HVM
    UK Shared & Reseller HostingDomain Registration
    99.9% Uptime GuaranteeUK Ltd Company, Established 2006
  • Powweb.com - 7 years ago :D