Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Room For One More VPS Provider
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

I have a server ready and all the packages are setup and ready to go. The only thing I need to do is just upload the new portions of the website.

With all the cheap VPS providers popping up here lately is there still room for one more REPUTABLE provider to offer VPS services?

1. Is there room for one more REPUTABLE provider to offer VPS services?72 votes
    1. Yes
      55.56%
    2. No
      44.44%

Comments

• Oh yeah, why or why not? I mean I can understand why othe VPS services don't want me to power on the server, but I would like to hear from others then current owners.

• hostnoobhostnoob Member
    edited July 2014

You can't start a new company and instantly become reputable, but if you provide a good service, then over time you will become reputable, and there is always room for genuinely reputable companies in any area.

• W3HostW3Host Member

In my opinion, obviously. If the company offers good services then yes, of course there is space. People will always use a company who provides good services.

• jcalebjcaleb Member

said: I have a server ready and all the packages are setup and ready to go.

just 1 server?

• @hostnoob said:
    You can't start a new company and instantly become reputable, but if you provide a good service, then over time you will become reputable, and there is always room for genuinely reputable companies in any area.

My company is already reputable, I have a brick and mortar network services company. However VPS is different from shared web hosting and network services.

• @jcaleb said:
    just 1 server?

Yes, just one server that is ready to go. I have four more that can be shipped. Should I lie and say I have 20 ready to go?

• blackblack Member

@EggheadTek said:
    Yes, just one server that is ready to go. I have four more that can be shipped. Should I lie and say I have 20 ready to go?

Post some offers and let's see what you got.

• jvnadrjvnadr Member

EggheadTek said: Should I lie and say I have 20 ready to go?

No, but one server is not enough to start a vps company. You should always have a spear server for instant deploy if something goes wrong with the first one, and maybe another almost ready if your business goes well and have some buyers that fulfill the first one. Do remember that if you do a good offer, a lot of guys here will buy a box just for testing / playing to see what's all about with you, but most of them will not keep it for the next month.

• SimpleVMSimpleVM Member
    edited July 2014

Providers will tell you not to do it :)) - less competition.
    Buyers will definitely tell you to go for it - more competition = lower price.
    Go for it but do not expect much of profit with low prices.

• @black said:
    Post some offers and let's see what you got.

I do not think I am allowed to do that yet. But my prices would commensurate with those here.

• ChuckChuck Member
    edited July 2014

@SimpleVM said:
    Providers will tell you not to do it :)) - less competition.
    Buyers will definitely tell you to go for it - more competition = lower price.
    Go for it but do not expect much of profit with low prices.

Why no profit with low price?

($30): Purchase a SolusVM VPS reseller account

($10): Buy a .com domain for your business

Get LET account and a PayPal account

Make a website using a template (either free or paid)

($15): Buy and install WHMCS for billing

Create crazy $3/1GB VPS plans and sell on LET.

You'll get at least $15 worth of sales per day.

• GreenHostBoxGreenHostBox Member
    edited July 2014

@Chuck said:

If you plan on making some quick cash, operating a hosting business may not be for you. If you are serious in establishing a business then there's always room for another provider.

• vdnetvdnet Member

@EggheadTek said:

What would happen if the server failed? Would your customers have to wait for a new server to be shipped and setup before they can get back online? If you're going to get into hosting, do it right and start with some actual investment. One server isn't going to earn you enough profit to make it worth your while and it isn't going to provide your customers any sense of security.

It would be better for you to resell servers rather than start your own VPS hosting from a single server. Just my two cents.

• Always room for more

Thanked by 1linuxthefish
  • shovenoseshovenose Member, Host Rep

One server is fine but as soon as you have 1 customer get the next one ready :) don't ever run out of stock it frustrates people.

• @Chuck said:

450$ a month and half of this month you will be dealing with abuse issues (resource/spam/fraud/ddos and so on.....)? A reputable host would not sacrifice time in return of 450$ and abuse headaches.

• rskrsk Member, Patron Provider

SimpleVM said: Providers will tell you not to do it :)) - less competition. Buyers will definitely tell you to go for it - more competition = lower price. Go for it but do not expect much of profit with low prices.

This is not true. I am a provider myself, and would love to have more competition. Heck, I would be a happier person if there are many more web hosting providers. This will lead to better service, in my professional opinion, as every provider will have to compete to be the best.

I say, bring it on and good luck with your venture :-)

PS. 1 server is just fine, that's how we started too.

• ChuckChuck Member

@rsk said:

I wish Comcast, Verizon would think like you.

• jcalebjcaleb Member

You can slab to make you appear a much larger host

• I already own a hosting company as stated, I know it is not quick cash, hell it took me five months to get my first client. However I am starting to lose clients due to not offering VPS. So as far as that is concerned i have no issues. Everyone is concentrating on my equipment and not the question at hand. I am in no way being rude stating this. :D

• vdnetvdnet Member
    edited July 2014

@rsk said:

That isn't good advice. The OP is clearly is looking to colocate because he stated shipping the servers. If one colocates a single server and a core part fails then the end-users would be offline until they get a second server in. If you're going to do a dedicated then I suppose a single server is possible as long as the host has an SLA for hardware replacement, but in my mind, starting with a single server for virtual servers isn't a business plan, it's a hobby.

• ScionScion Member

There's always room for another. There are lots of customers out there, you just have to figure out how to convince them to go with you instead of RamNode. :P

• I'm not sure 1 server is wise if you are co-locating.

If you have some disaster where you need to completely swap out the node, or significant portions which are not immediately on-hand, you can bet there will be blow-back.

Do-able if you accept the risk, but as a new company, you want to make sure your reputation is solid from the get-go.

• lazytlazyt Member

Don't join the race to bottom of the deadpool. Charge enough to let you provide a quality service. Limited specials are fine just don't let yourself get to the point where you have to depend on them.

Thanked by 2EggheadTek Falzo
  • jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@EggheadTek said:
    My company is already reputable, I have a brick and mortar network services company. However VPS is different from shared web hosting and network services.

Stronger foundation than most here had when they started. Yours is worth keeping an eye on, because you have business sense right from the start if your business is doing well at all. I don't know that it is or that you do, but you should and that's noteworthy. Would be interested to see how you handle the VPS market. There's always room for more providers with good heads on their shoulders.

• you should hit New Zealand go for some exotic locations, NZ is so overpriced

• yes, whatever you do make sure you charge it at a price worthwhile to you. no point in doing dirt cheap and signing yourself into slavery.