Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MacOSX custom ISO installation on cloud servers?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

MacOSX custom ISO installation on cloud servers?

doughnetdoughnet Member
edited July 2014 in General

Is this possible? For example, is it possible to install MacOSX on Vultr or DigitalOcean with their custom iso feature/availability?

Curious if anyone has been able to do it.

Also, have a great day all!

Comments

• BradBrad Member

I don't think DO has a custom ISO installation feature.

• @Brad said:
    I don't think DO has a custom ISO installation feature.

Sorry you are correct.

• PwnerPwner Member

@doughnet said:
    Sorry you are correct.

Even if they did, it would be extremely hard to setup Mac OS on a machine because it uses proprietary hardware. The OS installation will literally verify the hardware on the machine against Apple's list of hardware used in their machines. If certain things (motherboard, processor) don't match against Apple's list, then the OS will not install.

Thanked by 1Kris
  • TarZZ92TarZZ92 Member
    edited July 2014

Pwner said: then the OS will not install.

Hackintosh

• RaymiiRaymii Member

DO sucks balls. The custom ISO feature or running your own kernel had been promised 3 years but still no visible progres.

On OS X, it would be against apple's terms, but there are vmware and virtualbox images floating around in torrent sites. You can also check out tonyx86 mac and iatakos.

Thanked by 1linuxthefish
  • PwnerPwner Member

@TarZZ92 said:

A Hackintosh is a PC built to Apple's specs. Not a virtual machine.

• KrisKris Member

Two places I know that do these:

https://macstadium.com/

http://macminicolo.net/

As @Pwner said, even if you get an ISO, it's going to be a right mess. Hackintosh I've never tried.

• these guys have it, or at least it looks like they have something... http://virtualmacosx.com

i remember reading about someone who got os x working as a vps some months ago, cant find the article sadly :(

• Vmware ESXi is the easiest I've come across to virtualize OSX on a server.
    http://code23.keole.net/2013/05/install-macos-virtual-machines-on-linux-or-windows-or-esxi-hosts/

There is also this for a patched QEMU/KVM:
    http://blog.ostanin.org/2014/02/11/playing-with-mac-os-x-on-kvm/

Not that any VPS hosts would entertain either of these scenarios, but useful if you have your own dedicated host to play around with.

Nice find @Tripleflix, that looks useful.

• I tried some stuff on Vultr but couldn't get it working :(

• Pwner said: A Hackintosh is a PC built to Apple's specs. Not a virtual machine.

i don't see why it wont work.

• TarZZ92 said: i don't see why it wont work.

Usually, it works just fine on most virt solutions.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@Pwner said:
    A Hackintosh is a PC built to Apple's specs. Not a virtual machine.

Nah, there's images around that have custom built kernels that work on AMD even. Never tried one in KVM but VMWare is popular for it. They actually tend to work really well you just don't get to update the OS like normal.

• PwnerPwner Member
    edited July 2014

@TarZZ92 said:

That's the difference between you and I. I have experience with Apple's proprietary hardware requirements, you don't.

edited July 2014

@Pwner said:
    That's the difference between you and I. I have experience with Apple's proprietary hardware requirements, you don't.

So do I. I've installed it on VMs and AMDs. The "hackintosh" community is about more than installing it on non-Apple machines built to be like Apple machines. I primarily buy Apple machines but I still tinker with the others I've got laying around.

• PwnerPwner Member

@Jar said:
    So do I. I've installed it on VMs and AMDs. The "hackintosh" community is about more than installing it on non-Apple machines built to be like Apple machines. I primarily buy Apple machines but I still tinker with the others I've got laying around.

I'd much prefer using the legitimate Apple OS instead of some bootlegged one made by someone so they could be able to run AMD hardware on OS X. I don't know what else comes with the bootleg copy or how reliable it is, at least with Apple's legitimate copy I know what I'm getting into.

edited July 2014

@Pwner said:
    I'd much prefer using the legitimate Apple OS instead of some bootlegged one made by someone so they could be able to run AMD hardware on OS X. I don't know what else comes with the bootleg copy or how reliable it is, at least with Apple's legitimate copy I know what I'm getting into.

Well I'll put it this way... I once used an AMD machine running OS 10 and Final Cut 7 to do daily event videos for 3 weeks without any crashes, encoding issues, or performance problems. Sure it's not something you'd ideally use for production but it's fun and if done right is totally production capable.

• WilliamWilliam Member
    edited July 2014

Jar said: I'd much prefer using the legitimate Apple OS instead of some bootlegged one made by someone so they could be able to run AMD hardware on OS X.

hm? The tools to create this type of installs (MyHack and alike) work with the Original DMG Image - Not with some hacked, bootlegged, modified or similar.

• lots of YES and NO

maybe someone could install MacOSX on vultr or similiar VPS that allows custom ISO installations

• In my opinion the first question that should be asked: Why the hell do you want to run OSX on a VPS?

@catalystium said:
    In my opinion the first question that should be asked: Why the hell do you want to run OSX on a VPS?

Could be useful for enterprise management of iOS/Mac devices or push services for iOS apps.

• RaymiiRaymii Member

@catalystium said:
    In my opinion the first question that should be asked: Why the hell do you want to run OSX on a VPS?

Run xcode and build iPhone/iCrap apps not on your hipsterbook?

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

@FirstVM_com said:
    So crazy!!

come on! stop spamming!

Thanked by 2Pwner jar
  • @netomx said:
    come on! stop spamming!

This isn't spamming? :-)

• PwnerPwner Member

@netomx said:
    come on! stop spamming!

Dude, I swear I thought that it was only me who was noticing this.

Thanked by 3netomx jar hostnoob
  • @Pwner said:

Check Cest Pit!

Thanked by 2netomx jar
  • PwnerPwner Member

@serverian said:

No way, Cest Pit is No Man's Land.

Thanked by 2netomx jar
  • I'm surprised no one mentioned that it's against ToS to run OS X on anything other than apple hardware

• PwnerPwner Member
    edited July 2014

@IceCream said:
    I'm surprised no one mentioned that it's against ToS to run OS X on anything other than apple hardware

Let's be honest, how many people actually read the ToS to anything? At most they'll read it for their VPS provider so they'll at least know not to run a Minecraft server.

• dabtechdabtech Member
    edited July 2014

@IceCream said:
    I'm surprised no one mentioned that it's against ToS to run OS X on anything other than apple hardware

That's not entirely true, it's within Apple's EULA to run OSX as a guest in a VM if the host is also an Apple machine.

Edit.

Never mind, misread the comment, IceCream says that too.

Thanked by 1netomx