Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cheapest dedicated servers? - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Cheapest dedicated servers?

Comments

• DamianDamian Member

Cheapy desktop drives at that!

• Yeah, not suitable for 24/7 usage.

• OliverOliver Member, Host Rep

What good is a hard drive to yourself when you only have a lowly Atom to drive everything? :-P

• miTgiBmiTgiB Member

@Oliver said: lowly Atom

Sempron FTW!

cat /proc/cpuinfo's on his Hostigation VPS to make sure it's not a Sempron

:-)

• Lol....

• miTgiBmiTgiB Member

@Oliver said: cat /proc/cpuinfo's on his Hostigation VPS

[root@lanas ~]# cat /proc/cpuinfo | grep model
    model name : Intel(R) Atom(TM) CPU D525 @ 1.80GHz
    [root@lanas ~]#

Hahah :-D

• @miTgiB said: [root@lanas ~]# cat /proc/cpuinfo | grep model

[root@lanas ~]#

Thats some beefy processor.

• miTgiBmiTgiB Member
    edited May 2012

@Daniel said: Thats some beefy processor.

It's been a great box for holding backups and nfs host for the ISO's, no idea why it crashed yesterday, but had close to 200 days uptime. 2tbx4 drive raid5 and draws .4A, I love it, but if you need to actually do something, the Sempron benches 4x higher than the Atom.

• @Oliver said: What good is a hard drive to yourself when you only have a lowly Atom to drive everything? :-P

Perfect for storage or backup purposes or if you want to offer some big downloads. Doesn't need a big CPU.

• @miTgiB said: It's been a great box for holding backups and nfs host for the ISO's, no idea why it crashed yesterday, but had close to 200 days uptime. 2tbx4 drive raid5 and draws .4A, I love it, but if you need to actually do something, the Sempron benches 4x higher than the Atom.

I have an ARM Server at home with 4x2TB Raid 6, and probably consumes lower then that (and probably smashes the Atom)

• miTgiBmiTgiB Member

@Daniel said: I have an ARM Server at home

The ARM is an amazing little CPU, I can't wait to see how this plays out over the next year or two. Besides the Raspberry PI, what choices do consumers have to get ARM right now?

• MrAndroidMrAndroid Member
    edited May 2012

@miTgiB said: The ARM is an amazing little CPU, I can't wait to see how this plays out over the next year or two. Besides the Raspberry PI, what choices do consumers have to get ARM right now?

I want an ARM ChromeBook. 24 hour battery life yum yum.

There are some $50/$75 ARM Android Computers coming out.

• ElliotJElliotJ Member

@Daniel said: There are some $50/$75 ARM Android Computers coming out.

Indeed there are.

This one looks quite promising, much beefier than a RPi, yet only $49.

• miTgiBmiTgiB Member

@ElliotJ said: This one looks quite promising, much beefier than a RPi, yet only $49.

apc.io 404's

• JTRJTR Member

@rds100 said: And what's the point? You can get good quality VPS with 1GB RAM for under $30/month.

Dedicated = Dedicated CPU, IO, Network, etc.

• InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep

My tablet has a small ARM processor IIRC. If I wanted I could use it as a server, has a nice 500G HDD.

• @Infinity said: My tablet has a small ARM processor IIRC. If I wanted I could use it as a server, has a nice 500G HDD.

What is the name of the tablet?

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@miTgiB said: but if you need to actually do something, the Sempron benches 4x higher than the Atom.

Oh wow, that's quite the jump!

How is the semp on power though?

Francisco

• I have one of the kimsufi 2G servers and have been really happy with it. About the biggest annoyance is it's in France and I'm in US. But for about $20/mo have 2gb ram, 1tb drive, and more or less an unmetered plan (the way it works is for the 2G server I have 5tb of bandwidth at 100mbit and then get throttled back to 10mbit after that). It's only an atom n2800 (1.8ghz) but that's fine to run a secondary mail server and for backups and stuff. Also it's only a single drive so if goes I'm screwed. Also at least if you live in the US the authorization process takes forever.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited May 2012

@vrillusions said: It's only an atom n2800 (1.8ghz)

That's an OK CPU, it's even 2 Core (4 Threads) according to http://ark.intel.com/products/58917/Intel-Atom-Processor-N2800-(1M-Cache-1_86-GHz)
    People have been (and still are) getting worse ones: http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1110809 Or you can strike a goldmine and end up with a Phenom X3.
    In fact this is the thing I dislike the most about this offer, the CPU lottery.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@miTgiB said: apc.io 404's

Worked for me.

-1 to apc.io for the cheesy Bill Gates/Steve Jobs pic.

WTF is up with Steve's hair in that picture? It looks like Bill Gates put a bowl on his head and cut it.

• miTgiBmiTgiB Member
    edited May 2012

@Francisco said: How is the semp on power though?

I built 2 setups that were the same parts except the motherboard/ram/cpu

Atom D525 0.35A
    Sempron 0.4A

Same amount of ram, same drive/case were used. 4x the computing power for 0.05A is a bargain.

Also, back when I was doing all this, I did side by side the Intel D525 board with the SuperMicro D525 board, SM wins hands down, lower power, higher geekbench, plus IPMI for the bonus points.

• I'll probably not get the APC and get the $79 one, since it has Wifi and a case.

@Daniel and @PhilND, I got my Hetzner box today. I went for the EX6 (cheapest one with ECC RAM). Looks like I am on a gigabit port as well since I can pull over 60MB/s from European speed test sites. :-)

I will retire one or two of my Server4You boxes if this performs as well as I expect it will. Thanks for the recommendation!

• @Oliver said: @Daniel and @PhilND, I got my Hetzner box today. I went for the EX6 (cheapest one with ECC RAM). Looks like I am on a gigabit port as well since I can pull over 60MB/s from European speed test sites. :-)

I guess its getting harder to get 100Mbps cables :P

• MrAndroidMrAndroid Member
    edited May 2012

@Dionysus said: Wait, are they doing the exact same thing OVH does now? (where you can end up getting a server on a gigabit port)

I guess, theres pretty much no reason for 100Mbit anymore, 1Gbps is getting cheaper.

• InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep
    edited May 2012

@liam said: It overheats and doesn't charge well, so I wouldn't recommend

Yes, it does, it's practically useless as a tablet however for my use, as a media player it suffices. I can use Skype on it, check my mail, browse the net, SSH into my servers, and lots of other stuff, minus games, up-to date apps etc. since it runs an old version of Android 1.6 (I could upgrade but I'd loose the Archos Media Center thing which I want).

It's Archos 48 IT or something like that. Rubbsih processor, rubbish amount of RAM, depending on your use, but it's still an ARM processor I think.

• JeffreyJeffrey Member

I know this isn't much, but our 8GB Ram Dedicated server is only $85/Month.