Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Wanted: tutorials
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Wanted: tutorials

mpkossenmpkossen Member
edited July 2014 in General

After having looked for content writers for offers on LowEndBox, it's now time to look for more tutorials writers! As you all have undoubtedly noticed, less tutorials have been posted since I took over from Liam. This is simply due to time constraints. Writing a tutorial costs anywhere between 2 and 4 hours on average, sometimes 6 hours (including research).

We are looking to get more tutorials up on LowEndBox. In order to achieve that we are not looking to get more people on board, but rather ask for people to write tutorials for us. In exchange for writing a number of tutorials, you get a dedicated server with ColoCrossing in return.

These are the rules:

• Tutorials must be detailed
  • Tutorials must be exclusive to LowEndBox
  • Tutorials must not be a simple rewrite of another tutorial
  • Tutorials must cover a technical subject not already featured on LowEndBox
  • The subject is yours to pick

This is what you get in return:

• For 5 good tutorials: a dedicated server with an Intel Atom 2750 CPU, 16GB of RAM, a 250GB hard drive, 10TB of bandwidth, and a /29 IPv4 for three months in either Buffalo, NY; or Los Angeles, CA
  • For 10 good tutorials: a dedicated server with an Intel Atom 2750 CPU, 16GB of RAM, a 250GB hard drive, 10TB of bandwidth, and a /29 IPv4 for six months in either Buffalo, NY; or Los Angeles, CA

I get to give away three of these servers, so if I were you, I would aim for 10 tutorials.

How is this going to work?
In order to qualify for a server, we want you to write one trial tutorial. If it is good enough and you're up for the challenge to write five or ten articles within one month, you will be awarded a "slot" if you will. Once you have written all the tutorials and they are accepted, you will be given your dedicated server. If your trial article is not good enough, we will not use your article and respectfully thank you for your time.

Trial articles may be PM'd to me or sent to mpkossen {[at)}] lowendbox [{(dot]} com.

Questions? Ask!

Update
We are also offering payment as an option for tutorials. We are willing to pay $15 per proper tutorial. If you're interested, please contact me.

Comments

• The rewards listed are limited as not everyone wants dedicated servers.

• @mtwiscool said:
    The rewards listed are limited as not everyone wants dedicated servers.

I'm afraid this is the deal we are currently offering. If it turns out this is not a good trade, we might reconsider this.

• wojonswojons Member

Only thing I would recommend would be some sort of special interface for thus so it does not look like a normal forum post. Also for suggestions.

• rds100rds100 Member

If you do the calculation i think it makes about $24 equivalent per article written. Not that bad if you have free time and are good at writing.

Thanked by 1mpkossen
  • nerouxneroux Member

@Jack said:
    mpkossen Very bad deal, I think two dedicated servers should be offered.

Wouldnt call it very bad. To put it into perspective, compared to the recently posted C2750 offer it would be about $16.4 a tutorial.

• I'd like to write tutorials, even without reward. I can write tutorials about almost anything, except maybe VoIP. But the problem is that I don't know English that well and never wrote any technical texts in English. If there is anybody who can check my grammar, that would be great.

• I am going to proof-read all articles (and probably even test them), so I would not mind making minor corrections. I don't plan on rewriting them completely, though.

• larslars Member

I'd also rather have no reward than a dedicated server for 3 months. I'd have nothing to do with it. And as this is a lowend server forum/community, most people here aren't willing to pay for a dedicated server once 3/6 months have expired.

Is it possible to opt out of this and just write tutorials voluntary?

• perennateperennate Member, Host Rep

lars said: Is it possible to opt out of this and just write tutorials voluntary?

You can already write tutorials voluntarily...

• larslars Member

@perennate said:
    You can already write tutorials voluntarily...

Okay, it just seems nobody does that..

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

lars said: And as this is a lowend server forum/community, most people here aren't willing to pay for a dedicated server once 3/6 months have expired.

This.

Also: an Atom is $10/month (rounding way up) from Kimsufi. If it takes 6 hours to write a tutorial, that's 60 hours. 6 months @ $10/month = $60 / 60 hours = $1/hour. Ouch.

• rds100rds100 Member

Not all atoms are equal*

Jack said: This a new series Atom with 16GB RAM and 8 true cores and 5 IPv4s..

OK, so it's $2/hour.

Thanked by 3perennate Boxode Mark_R

Jack said: at CC

I've found the problem.

Thanked by 1Licensecart

Jack said: Oh sorry where do you want it hosted Volumedrive? Your attic?

The list of non-CC datacenters is quite long, actually.

Even at $7/hour - which is inflated - who wants to work for less than minimum wage? Not in cash? For something temporary? In a crappy location? With a spam-tainted IP? For something marginally better than one could get for $10/mo?

That was my point.

But party on...

• perennateperennate Member, Host Rep

I wouldn't mind server hosted in your attic

perennate said: I wouldn't mind server hosted in your attic

Bandwidth is limited (wireless LAN), but it's often > 100F/38C so the DC environmentals are rather poor.

• I know a few of us here have blog/sites with tutorials of our own (I am setting mine up now). Maybe in future you guys could feature tutorials in some sort of link exchange? Just an idea. You might get some more tutorials then too. More traffic for LEB & your own site.

• wojonswojons Member

I think about it like this. 20 tutorials would be the node for one year it would take 80 hours or 2 standard work weeks to pay for your dedicated server for a year. Not the best offer not the worst I would also throw in some sort of 20% off for people that get there servers from tutorials writing

• Funny, made one today...

• InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep

Stop spamming your personal blog anywhere, I'll let you into a secret, that's probably why no one responded to your thread..

@raindog308 said:
    But party on...

I get your point and I agree with most of what you say but if you find me that same atom for $10/month I'll actually kiss you. That atom is actually a beast compared with other atoms, comparable to a nice quad core.

• eddynetwebeddynetweb Member
    edited May 2014

Infinity said: Stop spamming your personal blog anywhere, I'll let you into a secret, that's probably why no one responded to your thread..

I wasn't intending to spam, nor was I intending to show off my blog, heck, that website doesn't even have one (just a front page with some info about me). I'm not interested in talking about myself, or shameless advertising , I just made a simple tutorial that's easy to use. I worked hard on it, and the goal for it was to help others.

tl;dr not intended for spam, just for helping others.

EDIT: I see what you mean though about the last sentence.

Thanked by 1Infinity
  • On the side note, I don't feel that I need to get something in return for writing some article, so i'll write without rewards. <3 LowEndTalk.

• Infinity said: I get your point and I agree with most of what you say but if you find me that same atom for $10/month I'll actually kiss you. That atom is actually a beast compared with other atoms, comparable to a nice quad core.

I agree the new atoms are a lot better but their newness does contribute to the price. I don't think $10-$15 is unrealistic in 12 months time.

Still though, good boxes.

• wychwych Member

@Infinity said:
    I get your point and I agree with most of what you say but if you find me that same atom for $10/month I'll actually kiss you. That atom is actually a beast compared with other atoms, comparable to a nice quad core.

8 core Atom @ $10/m... WHERE !??!?!?!?! :D

Thanked by 1edan
  • @wych said:
    8 core Atom @ $10/m... WHERE !??!?!?!?! :D

+1 +1 +1

I'd be hyped, I mean... $10??? an Atom? a month you say???

• VPNVPN Member

Loving how people are instantly looking at the financial gain from this and not how it will improve the LEB experience.

If all you're bothered about is how much your reward is worth then gtfo LET and get a job.

I applied for the author role previously, not because I wanted the money but because I want to contribute to LE* and move us away from this "its CC so its shit" culture that we currently have.

If you don't like CC then kindly fuck off. I can bet half the people on here who 'hate' CC only say they do because they saw someone else say it and not because they have any justification.

Thanked by 1mpkossen
  • BradBrad Member

@VPN said:
    Loving how people are instantly looking at the financial gain from this and not how it will improve the LEB experience.

If all you're bothered about is how much your reward is worth then gtfo LET and get a job.

I applied for the author role previously, not because I wanted the money but because I want to contribute to LE* and move us away from this "its CC so its shit" culture that we currently have.

If you don't like CC then kindly fuck off. I can bet half the people on here who 'hate' CC only say they do because they saw someone else say it and not because they have any justification.

Ok, then. Do you really think most of us here are going to write 5-10 descriptive articles out of their own time for free? It's LET, come on. A small percent of the people even have trouble keeping up with their VPS bill(s), let alone touching a dedicated server for once. From the comments, there are a few who would like to do this voluntarily (and it's nice to see that), but the ones who are in it for the reward? I describe them as everyday folks. Before you tell them to gtfo, think about it. You probably have a dedicated server and you don't really think it's a big deal if you get another, but there are probably newcomers who would love to get hands on a free server.

Thanked by 1Mark_R
  • VPNVPN Member

@Brad said:

I understand your point, but something given has no value. It is rude and disrespectful to be demanding bigger and better rewards for doing something on your own accord.

If you were obliged to write tutorials as part of your membership to LET and LEB then I'd understand wanting to try and get a better deal. However this is Maarten giving us all an opportunity to write if you want to. In return you get a server.

Last point to make, true some people don't have the financial support to get bigger and better servers however beggars can't be choosers.