Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

And here we are, install script Hiawatha-PHP-FPM-MariaDB Debian x32/x64
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

And here we are, install script Hiawatha-PHP-FPM-MariaDB Debian x32/x64

ZEROFZEROF Member
edited April 2014 in Tutorials

Hi all,

I posted before about this script, but i made a lot of updates and i replaced Percon MySql 5.6 with MariaDB 5.5. Percona is good solution for professional system administrators. Last version don't have my.cnf file and you need to have good knowledge to set all up. I didn't removed this part from script source, but i need to add few things before you can use it. You can play with. Percona needs 0.6gb of memory and that is not what we are looking for most of LEB users.

First i want to say thanks to Virtovo VPS provider and gift i got from them (super speed kvm 512mb VPS). Thanks to all testers and their time as well. I tested this script with Debian x32/x64 without issues. Script will find your system version and will install good packages for you. If you get to some problems keep me posted.

What we have today:

HOW TO

1. wget http://goo.gl/rzzMpF -O hiawatha.sh

2. Run in terminal chmod +x hiawatha.sh

3. Then run in terminal ./hiawatha.sh

Run all options from 1-7 and share your ideas with me. What I can add to script? Say me if all goes well on your servers.

Script demo: https://asciinema.org/a/8847

Have a nice play!

Comments

• Nice script, I will test on my VPS :)

• ZEROFZEROF Member

Thank you, more to come. Security and other settings.

@sentarum said:
    Nice script, I will test on my VPS :)

• vhost management?

• ZEROFZEROF Member
    edited April 2014

Hi,

First i will add php-fpm (FastCGI) configuration, because all start from that point. One click install WordPress, why not?! This code could be huge in no time, and i want to add all what system administrator will use and not only basic user. Vhost will be next step i guess. First configuration then usage. I have daily job and as one man show i will do my best but i can't say when all "one click" options will be up and running. I will update this topic every time when something new pop up in my mind and fingers.

About vhost settings? ! I'm looking for solution that apache/nginx users can understand . Big picture, all functionality in no time. Some of them: sites enabled, server modules, start/stop/restart etc ..Like that they don't need to think all the time where all stuff goes. Hiawatha, don't use .htaccess, Hiawatha don't have modules (but i will call them modules, for better understanding) Hiawatha have pre-installed functions that user can enable or disable. Making all of this is big step for Hiawatha server as well. But as i like this idea and project, other users will agree with me that we need this, but that it will take some time. I learn about Hiawatha in same time, i spend hours to find best configuration and all this is about fun and learning or "how i spend my free time".

Cheers!

@MeMyselfandLinux said:
    vhost management?

• ZEROFZEROF Member
    edited April 2014

Hi,

Setting PHP-FPM on fresh installed server now is tested and working. I need to ask you how i can contact admin to update HOW TO from first post, like that people can always get last version. This link will not update from now (hope so), but script will. I use gits (baby github) for hosting this administration tool.

Before i get answer about updating first post i will share new download url with you:

HOW TO

git clone https://gist.github.com/10743343.git settings;cd settings;mv hiawatha.sh /root;cd

chmod +x hiawatha.sh

./hiawatha.sh

We have better code now but like always we can do better :).

Thanks !

• ZEROFZEROF Member
    edited April 2014

I'm working on first add/remove vhost options. Here you can see beta demo:

https://asciinema.org/a/8919

• B1g4B1g4 Member

I'll try this on my new Crissic 512MB VPS with Debian x32 over the weekend.

• ZEROFZEROF Member
    edited April 2014

Hello,

Good news. Now with this script you can almost do everything :). As people asked before we have new options, setting php-fpm and setting virtual host. "Small" extra, you can even remove vhosts. This script will help you, but I'm not sure if you will learn all about Hiawatha web server and power you can get.

This script version is 0.2. Tested by few people and working without issues. I look for better solution for few things but that will come in the future. For now you have all what you need to start hosting your site with Hiawatha. Many options can be set thanks to bash, but one day i will have some limits. I have few ideas but i need to learn how to code that parts and maybe i will need more time to add some extra futures.

Problem is not coding it's logic inside code. When you are done with one part you move to next, then you see that you need more variables :). Then you need to re-code things to work together.

Now back to script. When you set your vhost your can check inside /etc/hiawatha/hiawatha.conf file your new vhost settings. In this time you can't re-edit Hiawatha settings via bash, but if all goes well that can be done as well.

This is how new vhost code will look:

What we have here, standard vhost with php-fpm enabled (fast-cgi will do the job for HTML pages, don't worry). But if you have site with a lot of download links you need to set your own time for active connection.

TimeForCGI = 5

If this is you case you can replace 5 with 1800 (30min). As i don't want people to download things from my server, i don't need more then 5sec for normal connection. I will put this option to 10 sec after writing this topic, but you must keep this on your mind. It's not my fault if something goes wrong.

Next step ... i will add some cool stuff and new part for this script and that is what people asked as well. First option will be setting your SSH port, setting Hiawatha port, setting XSS and SQLi protection, setting anti DOS protection and things like that.

And in the end ...thanks to my friends from Back Box community and my new net dudes from IRC freenode channel #filmsbykris, cool people with coding knowledge.

Gits link: https://gist.github.com/ZEROF/10743343

Cheers !

• nocomnocom Member

nice work
    tnx

• utamautama Member
    edited April 2014

Bookmarked! :) Will try this on my test VPS.

• Now for CentOS please! :)

• ZEROFZEROF Member

Try and keep me posted.

utama said: Bookmarked! :) Will try this on my test VPS.

I will see what i can do. Hugo (Hiawatha developer) asked for help and people who can work out and make package for CentOS. When that part is over i can look for that options too. Install from source is possible as you know, but if i have stable and tested package, that can save time on writing some part of code. I'm not lazy just i don't have time for all.

DarioX said: Now for CentOS please! :)

Hiawatha is all about security. I will add few function to web section of script, but after that i will go deeper to server and directory security. I got few mails people asking about wordpress install, that is part i can do in few hours or less, because i have all commands written down when i started using Hiawatha.

Have fun and share any issue or good news you have. For others I will say one more time, that from now, you can always find script online on gist.

https://gist.github.com/ZEROF/10743343

• ZEROFZEROF Member

Updated (almost):

1. Wordpres installation.

After a lot of re-coding i think that we have our version 0.3, this is 0.2b beta but when i'm done with fresh server installation i will update script on gist, and make it public. For now you can check demo:

https://asciinema.org/a/8993

Hope that you will like it.

• ZEROFZEROF Member

Updated:

1. Wordpress installation tested and working
    2. Protect directory / remove protection

From what you can see i started looking in security settings. And there are a lot of options that can be used for server security. SQL injection, XSS protection, banning attacker, DDoS protection etc ... I will explain every of this option then i'm done with coding and testing.

Directory protection is good if you have backup folder in same directory. Some sites don't use mysql for data storage and they have directories to be protected. Because of all of this having this options is very important for most of administrators.

New screen:

Script source: https://gist.github.com/ZEROF/10743343

• I tend to set up vps by hand so I haven't tried the script yet. Only some thoughts.

Apache? How about nginx / lightty on a small box?

How about PHPMyAdmin? It's annoying when I have to open the website, click download, copy the link, paste after wget, download it, un-tar, and move the files to the www-root, each time I set up a new box.

And for running the script, you may want to use curl http://something | sudo bash which is shorter and easier.

• ZEROFZEROF Member
    edited April 2014

Hi msg7086,

First of all, this is Hiawatha server project. I don't want to make one more nginx/apache setting script, you can find a lot of them. PHPMyAdmin will be added in the future (or some other sql manager), but i would like to run few more tests and I'm looking into security in first place.

Running this script in your way is not possible if you tested you should know why.

Thanks.

• @ZEROF said:
    Running this script in your way is not possible if you tested you should know why.

Well if you host the files on github it should work. Or, curl -L http:// should work.

• RIJXRIJX Member

How does Hiawatha compare with nginx?

• ZEROFZEROF Member
    edited April 2014

Hi RIJX,

This blog topic can explain you more:

https://www.hiawatha-webserver.org/weblog/64

And this is part a like most (check "What other people say about Hiawatha"):

https://www.hiawatha-webserver.org/about

Thanks for asking.

RIJX said: How does Hiawatha compare with nginx?

With that command script will go on loop, over and over. On my server I have that problem. I don't say other people will have same issue.

And i want to update you about phpmyadmin. I tested last stable version 4.1.13 and I can say that with Hiawatha all goes well (load, working fine with MariaDB 5.5 etc..). I will do my best to add install from source and basic settings in the end of the week.

msg7086 said: msg7086

• ZEROFZEROF Member
    edited April 2014

I need one tester for new version (v0.4). You will need to try phpmyadmin installation, it's almost automatic, don't worry :). I can make demo video if you want. I'm happy with new code.

Phpmyadmin install options are:

1. You will be ask if you want to install phpmyadmin after wordpress installation.
    2. You can run installation after setting vhost.

This was good coding day, but now i need one or few people before I share v0.4.

Thank you !

• @ZEROF said:
    I need one tester for new version (v0.4). You will need to try phpmyadmin installation, it's almost automatic, don't worry :). I can make demo video if you want. I'm hapy with new code.

Phpmyadmin install options are:

1. You will be ask if you want to install phpmyadmin after wordpress installation.
    2. You can run installation after setting vhost.

This was good coding day, but now i need one or few people before I share v0.4.

Thank you !

Send me it, I'd be happy to test it.

• ZEROFZEROF Member
    edited April 2014

Thank you, message send. When you run script go from option 1 etc.. .

@jeffreywinters said:
    Send me it, I'd be happy to test it.

• @ZEROF said:
    Thank you, message send. When you run script go from option 1 etc.. .

Just did, not exactly sure how to do it. When I go to /phpmyadmin it says 'not found'

• ZEROFZEROF Member
    edited April 2014

You can get that in two ways:

1. You didn't set vhost
    2. You didn't installe wordpress
    3. Before going again try to run in terminal service hiawatha restart

Vhost 3#1 and phpmyadmin, when you run settings, need to have same path directory. I will make small demo for you if you want.

• @ZEROF said:
    You can get that in two ways:

1. You didn't set vhost
    2. You didn't installe wordpress
    3. Before going again try to run in terminal service hiawatha restart

Vhost 31 and phpmyadmin, when you run settings need to have same path directory. I will make small demo for you if you want.

It requires Wordpress?

• ZEROFZEROF Member
    edited April 2014

No only one vhost.

EDIT: If you want phpmyadmin you need:

1. php installed and php5-fpm set.
    2. MariaDB installed
    3. Set one vhost or run WP installation

Check demo: https://asciinema.org/a/9092

If you run all options from 1 to ..., and when you login to phpmyadmin you will have something nice:

• ZEROFZEROF Member
    edited April 2014

Hiawatha was updated in last 24h (v9.5) and because of that i waited to run more tests. I would like to say thanks for 4 people who helped me to fix 2 small issues and to make this tool even better. I made 3 small demo, for every part of tool. I call you to watch them all before messing with your server, all in 10 minutes.

Hiawatha 9.5 installation script v0.4(+ php5-fpm,MariaDB)-part 1

Hiawatha 9.5 installation script v0.4 (setting vhost and phpmyadmin)-part 2

Hiawatha 9.5 installation script v0.4 (remove phpmyadmin and vhost,install wordpress,install phpmyadmin)-part 3

Script download: https://gist.github.com/ZEROF/10743343

Hope you'll enjoy it.

To do: "Remove wordpress installation" !

• AmitzAmitz Member

Wow. Hiawatha is doing EXTREMELY well on one of my VMs with real-world traffic. I had nginx installed on that before, but I guess I'll just stick with Hiawatha. It is MUCH easier to configure and has some really nice extra features. Thank you, ZEROF, for making me aware of that little piece of software candy!

• Would be great to see this posted open-source somewhere like on Github, and for it to be compatible with CentOS.

Excellent work btw OP!

• ZEROFZEROF Member

Hi,

This is open source project, gist is mini github: https://gist.github.com/ZEROF/10743343, you can make your own fork without problem.

CentOS is another story. In first place i wanted to add CentOS as part of this tool, but when i look now on how many lines of code i will write only for Debian, look crazy to add one more system with all options. If i start working on that I will give less support for CentOS and that bring us to something unstable and less professional. But for now i will not say no, just I don't know when. Next week I'm out of town, code break time ;).

Thanks !

viCommunications said: Would be great to see this posted open-source somewhere like on Github, and for it to be compatible with CentOS.

Excellent work btw OP!

Hi Amitz for all great support and testing. I will try to keep this project up and running. Next week I go to business trip and I don't think to make updates before I'm back. I will just add remove WP installation options if i get some free time in next 48h.

Amitz said: Wow. Hiawatha is doing EXTREMELY well on one of my VMs with real-world traffic. I had nginx installed on that before, but I guess I'll just stick with Hiawatha. It is MUCH easier to configure and has some really nice extra features. Thank you, ZEROF, for making me aware of that little piece of software candy!