Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

CloudAtCost - One Time Payment Cloud VPS
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

CloudAtCost - One Time Payment Cloud VPS

So while looking around, i found this site : http://cloudatcost.com/. They claim to offer cloud kvm at one time payments ($35 for lifetime of 512 MB 10GB KVM). They also offer that plan for $1 per month.

Thats a red flag in my book, but they seem to be backed by a big company in canada called Fibernetics. Now I would not use the one time payment, since in a couple years 512 mb instances will probably be useless/super cheap. But I was thinking about the monthly payment plan to use the vps for some personal sites.

What do you guys think about them? Does anyone have more info about them? And should I get it or steer clear (not worried about money, just wondering if i should trust my data with them).

Thank You!

Comments

• what location?

I will just try $1 for a month as well

• @add_iT said:
    what location?

I will just try $1 for a month as well

You have to pay yearly ($12)

• @Brad said:

Yeap looks like it. Still cheap since its KVM and has not-so-bad specs. But i dont know how long they are going to be up for

• ah

i just notice it for yearly

where i can find test ip and test file?

• I been meaning to write a review about these guys. I paid for a one year server think i paid 48$ for 2gb ram. The machine works the network is not "stable" i am not sure if routes are just being messed with or they dont have enough bandwidth. and support is super slow emailed them about an issue with disk space i should have 40gb only have 10. they said they would look into it emailed them once or twice after that but they never got back to me. Its been almost a month f not more. so its a case of you get what you pay for but if u need a server to run ur observium or something dead simple that can be alright its fine.

• Eh, for $12/year for such a machine, I'm going to take the bet and just do it. And it's Canada; don't have Canada in my collection yet ;-)

• smile93smile93 Member
    edited February 2014

@wojons

The plan was $1/m, $2/m, and $4/m for plan 1, 2 and 3

now they changed to
    The plan was $1/m, $10/m, and $40/m for plan 1, 2 and 3

This pricing is encouraging people to sign up for lifetime offer on plan 2 and 3. It seems more value compare to all the plan.

I am thinking to sign one to test, after reading all the review, I think I will hold it for a while.

These features were there (oct 2013), now gone:-

``Backup Your Servers

Give your self piece of mind knowing you selected one of our backup options to ether have your server automatically backed up on a nightly basis or a weekly basis. Our backup consists of a full copy of your server where recovery is simply powering on one of the backups. Think of how great it would be to have a 1 minute recovery to a system hack or failure.

Import Server From Current Provider

If you would like us to import your server currently at another provider please choose "Import From Current Provider" and we can import the server for you.

Upload Your Own Server Image

If you have a custom VM image you would like to upload and import select "Upload Custom VM Image" and we can import any virtual image from any software company (VMware, Xen, Microsoft, OpenVZ) and many more.
    ``

• big no no, I've used them before, not stable and too much down time in 1 month.

Slow as hell,

Thanked by 1orenji
  • JUST WORST BY EVERY POSSIBLE MEANS

STAY AWAY :)

• You know you're probably not going to get 12 months worth of service.... Don't give scammers your money.

Thanked by 1linuxthefish
  • jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

I think we all know that "at cost" isn't paid with a small one time fee. Maybe you can pay up front for a "lifetime" with success sure, no one lives forever. This is a scam whether they know it or not. Promotion is one thing, business plan is another.

If it's illogical by all means, and that logic is based on things that are absolutely not relative in any manner, that's really all you need to know. Tempting as it may be.

Thanked by 1Infinity
  • Well it's a launch offer.

• @smile93 said:
    wojons

The plan was $1/m, $2/m, and $4/m for plan 1, 2 and 3

now they changed to
    The plan was $1/m, $10/m, and $40/m for plan 1, 2 and 3

This pricing is encouraging people to sign up for lifetime offer on plan 2 and 3. It seems more value compare to all the plan.

I am thinking to sign one to test, after reading all the review, I think I will hold it for a while.

These features were there (oct 2013), now gone:-

``Backup Your Servers

Give your self piece of mind knowing you selected one of our backup options to ether have your server automatically backed up on a nightly basis or a weekly basis. Our backup consists of a full copy of your server where recovery is simply powering on one of the backups. Think of how great it would be to have a 1 minute recovery to a system hack or failure.

Import Server From Current Provider

If you would like us to import your server currently at another provider please choose "Import From Current Provider" and we can import the server for you.

Upload Your Own Server Image

If you have a custom VM image you would like to upload and import select "Upload Custom VM Image" and we can import any virtual image from any software company (VMware, Xen, Microsoft, OpenVZ) and many more.
    ``

it is something i am not planning on updating anytime soon. I dont know when it expires i know i have less than 6 months and once it does i will move to another provider again i dont run anything important here. Would be a waste not to try and get my money's worth.

• agoldenbergagoldenberg Member, Host Rep

They have peering issues. Some of their peers are congested and as such their network is balls slow. VPS Fusion is now using their DC to host dedis. I tried one and was less than impressed.

I had a dedi with a 100mbit port and rarely could see over 1MB/s to most other providers.

• ksubediksubedi Member
    edited March 2014

Update: So i bought their vps and have been testing. So far not impressed.

The networks sucks. I barely pull 200~ kbps on any download test. Even my girlfriends shitty 3g nokia pulls 1mbps.

They advertise SSD but the disk io tests show around 70mbps write speed.

Their panel is just horrible. There are no stats at all and you cant even change hostname from there. And only 2 os choices? What is this, 1990?

I guess you get what you pay for

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

Who pays the bills for energy?

• tchentchen Member

Probably the Canadian government via tax credits.

• shovenoseshovenose Member, Host Rep

Yeah I have one it sucks

• tomletomle Member, LIR

Seems to be down. VPS is down, website is down, control panel is down.

• @tomle said:
    Seems to be down. VPS is down, website is down, control panel is down.

Down for me as well. I hope they didn't deadpool

• @agoldenberg said:
    They have peering issues. Some of their peers are congested and as such their network is balls slow. VPS Fusion is now using their DC to host dedis. I tried one and was less than impressed.

I had a dedi with a 100mbit port and rarely could see over 1MB/s to most other providers.

I get downtime on them all the time i am pretty much done with it if it was any worse i would send spam from it knowing that i would not be able to because the packets would get lost.

• Hmm I am unable to order from them. A lot of reason hosting companies dont do a one time costs is because just about everything in a datacenter is a recurring costs power, network, rent, staffing.

If they fold up then anyone who purchased that product could do a charge back for not delivering service for LIFE.

Interesting none the less. Thanks for posting.

• Even though they advertise 100mbit uplink, you barely get those speed. I get 10mbit at best (1mbps). I currently am using it to test one of my applications, and is good enough for that, but if you are planning to use it for anything public, id recommend staying away.

• I read that a while ago and most things they mention there dont make sense.

Also their support is a joke. They don't have any. I opened a support ticket about when i signed up to see what their support is like and i still havent received a reply.

• zorkedzorked Member
    edited March 2014

I've had a VM there since launch which I use as my remote "vi box" or "/home box". It's slow, it's unreliable (though I didn't have any major problems other than the odd reboot), but it is cheap and it's there. Costs less than keeping my machine up all day on my DSL line so I'm using cloud at cost instead. In fact it costs about the market price of an extra IP address in other providers so whatever.

Bottom line: it costs $1/month and it's worth $1/month. I can't be mad at them.

Thanked by 1Pwner
  • zorked said: it costs $1/month and it's worth $1/month. I can't be mad at them.

That is one hell of a BAD Example. Look at Ramnode, or look at many others who gives you extremely quality VPS for more or less the same price.

It just needs good will to give a quality service

Thanked by 2rm_ netomx
  • @ironhide said:
    That is one hell of a BAD Example. Look at Ramnode, or look at many others who gives you extremely quality VPS for more or less the same price.

Not the same specs for that price.