Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do You Have A Home Server? - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Do You Have A Home Server?

Comments

• innyainnya Member
    edited February 2012

@djvdorp said:I got 35mbps down, 80mbps up (fibre) at home for like 30euro/month :) love NL

It is cool. In USA, since last year May 2011, all dsl, u-verse, FIOS, cable boradband provider put the bandwidth caps on all users. I use to have no cap. This year they have 350g bandwidth both down/up from ATT.

Oh, for my home server, I still use my old Intel PIII 384mb ram 40gig disk running uniserver on window XP. :)

Thanked by 1djvdorp
  • KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

@innya said: In USA, since last year May 2011, all dsl, u-verse, FIOS, cable boradband provider put the bandwidth caps on all users.

I think you're mistaken. I live in the US and have no bandwidth caps nor do I know of any providers in my area that do besides cell providers.

Thanked by 1TheHackBox
  • @KuJoe said: I think you're mistaken. I live in the US and have no bandwidth caps nor do I know of any providers in my area that do besides cell providers.

By the way, Sprint still have unlimited data :D

• Comcast internet has a 250GB/month cap.

@TheHackBox said: By the way, Sprint still have unlimited data :D

I think a few still do, not many though. I'm using Republic Wireless which is on the Sprint network. It's unlimited everything for $20/month (although they haven't billed anybody since they opened last year).

@efball said: Comcast internet has a 250GB/month cap.

Do they offer an unlimited option? How much are you paying for 250GB/month?

• I hate when ISPs charge per megabit and per gb.

• I have one little AMD Fusion box (FOXCONN Nettop) with 2GB of ram, 250GB internal HDD and 4x 1TB USB storage. It runs ownCloud, the backups (and spreads them with rsync to off-site locations), has the music collection on it, and sometimes I test or develop things on it. It also functions as an SSH gateway to the rest of the computers in the house...

Here is some info about the nettop: http://thetechjournal.com/electronics/computer/foxconn-nt-a3500-nettop.xhtml

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@ErrantWeb said: With comcast I get 250GB/m of usage 0.o

Yeah but they have 40M+ customers, where as Canada doesn't even have that many people - total. Comcast got quite a bit of hate a few years ago for resetting peoples connections to cut torrent usage.

To 'make due' they simply put a 250G/m cap on everyone.

Francisco

• prometeusprometeus Member, Host Rep

@Francisco
    just a curiosity. I often see you post when here in Italy is morning (it's 8:30AM now), I think you live in Canada, are you a night lover?

Yep :)

I man the night shift while everyone else sleeps. Normally they handle the sales rounds without me even. It's 11:38 PM right now.

I'll be up another 4 hours at least.

I used to work mainly by night because of silence and concentration, then age (46th next month), family and other works forced me to change :-(

@prometeus said: I used to work mainly by night because of silence and concentration, then age (46th next month), family and other works forced me to change :-(

Hopefully i'll get married some day and it'll put an end to my night shifts :P

• @Francisco said: Hopefully i'll get married some day and it'll put an end to my night shifts :P

I wonder how old you are :P

@Francisco said: Hopefully i'll get married some day and it'll put an end to my night shifts :P

That's no excuse. Night shift FTW! :P

• I have a box in my closet for serving up music and video files to the network, as well as running some web services and virtual machines.

Core i3 3.1ghz, 8GB RAM, 3TB storage in RAID. Windows Server 2008.

@littleguy said: Windows Server 2008

ouch! :(

Just joking, why windows BTW?

• @Francisco said: Hopefully i'll get married some day

Don't you need to be awake when the majority of single women are? I'm talking about the hunt.

• Not all women live in the same timezone ;-)

• @rds100 said: Not all women live in the same timezone ;-)

Fran doesn't really strike me as the mail order bride type. More likely to meet at some local social event, like church, bingo, or a fair in town.

• The trick is actually getting him to attend said events. The only reason we got him to take a vacation is by threatening to nullroute him :P

• @Aldryic said: take a vacation

And all the pics look like he had a great time, but they were truck/carloads of guys, it's hard to meet women hanging with your buds.

• littleguylittleguy Member
    edited February 2012

@prometeus said: Just joking, why windows BTW?

I ran Server 2003 on my old box for almost five years and settled in. I do run a couple of linux VMs in VirtualBox to simulate my production environment (I make home pages/web services.)

Seen from a stability standpoint, I think both Server 2003 and 2008 are incredibly solid, I always floated ~150 days uptime on my previous box, and that's is on a residential power connection without UPS. However, I did find it impossible to break 200 days, always some power fluctuation or outage that made it reboot. :(

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

In the times of p4 i was amd fan, so I dont really know how much power they are using, however, from limited experience at customer locations it looks like a lot (mistakenly unplugged UPS and it died right away with only the computer and a small crt 15") and also the heat going out of the PSU. That is not direct experience, but it looks like they do use a lot of power. However, if you have a video card it also adds some serious power usage, depending on many factors tho. Some dont turn it off even without a monitor, optimizing a desktop as a server and to lower power usage is not easy job for the regular user, these days you can easily setup a linux server without knowing much about linux and computers and it means other aspects are usually neglected too.

Regarding ISP, I NEVER take any mettered plan, simply because I cant prove I didnt use the BW they charged me for, the worse I will accept (on mobile plans, both GSM and CDMA) are the "unlimited" plans that get capped after some usage. I got charged a lot long ago for some dial-up long after I had cable at home and when I asked to provide with proof to match my phone bill, they said they dont save Caller IDs... Really ?

M

• MrAndroidMrAndroid Member
    edited February 2012

I got unlimited on GSM, and I've never been capped, and I've used 12GB once before.

Also it dosent look like many people use ARM :(

• @Maounique said: optimizing a desktop as a server and to lower power usage is not easy job for the regular user

I disagree with this, a lot of motherboard manufacturers have started including power optimization functionality built into their motherboards. Even low-end motherboards from major manufacturers have this. Combine with something like a core i3 (which has on-board gpu) and make sure it gets throttled properly and you could be down to extremely low power usage.

As for hard-drives, there are tons of "green" drives available with spin-down function, 5400 rpm etc.

• @KuJoe said: @efball said: Comcast internet has a 250GB/month cap.

Do they offer an unlimited option? How much are you paying for 250GB/month?

To get unlimited you have to buy a business account, which costs at least double. I pay $99 for 15MB internet, TV, and phone.

• HDD Space? 2 TB Raid 10
    ISP? Comcast Business 25/25
    RAM? 2GB
    Processor? Core 2 Duo
    Computer Model? custom
    Operating System? windows
    Uptime? 10 daysish
    Location? Closet

• @littleguy said: As for hard-drives, there are tons of "green" drives available with spin-down function, 5400 rpm etc.

Well hard drives are (currently) a problem. I wanted to build a Storage server with 4x2tb. A year ago i bought a 2tb drive for 50€, nowadays a 1tb drive costs 100€ :S

@miTgiB said: church, bingo, or a fair in town.

Do I look like a woman in my 60's?

Francisco