Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Epik seizes the KiwiFarms.net domain name // Terrahost replacement suggestions - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Epik seizes the KiwiFarms.net domain name // Terrahost replacement suggestions

Comments

• @jar said:

@emgh said:

@jar said: You sure?

I'm sure that he stayed, otherwise how could he move now? (Or he started being a client AFTER the _potential _ scamming, but to his defence, probably not.

All I'm saying is that it's weird when people get so upset that they leave when they've seized ONE nazi-forum domain that most other registrars would have suspended a long time ago (don't argue with the nazi part, I don't want to write 6 paragraphs on what/why, but let's be honest, you know what I mean) for one/a few days, but literally scamming countless of people out of millions of dollars don't encourage a leave.

Sorry I wasn’t trying to be overly argumentative. Was just sitting on the toilet listening to the Boy Meets World podcast (as any true American would). I just think Curtis is a good guy is all.

Lol

I didn't mean the don't argue part as though you were, I just didn't want us to lose focus on the actual topic

I have a hard time with how to label Kiwi, Josh and other "freedom fighters" when discussing because I'd like to say nazi but I also don't want the conversation to shift to nazi or not nazi instead of the actual topic

Anyway, I don't doubt he's a good guy, just tired of the kiwi obession

Thanked by 1jar
  • jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@emgh said:
    just tired of the kiwi obession

Funny enough I think that’s a phrase anyone familiar with the topic could agree on 😅

Thanked by 3emgh MannDude iKeyZ
  • It will resurect under the different name. Probably kiwifarms.ru

Thanked by 1bench
  • @LTniger said: Probably kiwifarms.ru

Already tried and failed.

Thanked by 2Levi jsg
  • MannDudeMannDude Host Rep, Veteran
    edited December 2023

@emgh said:
    @MannDude for example, they basically exit scammed a bunch of people, he stays, the seize kiwi, he runs (from Terra).

People falling for the Masterbucks scam program that Epik offered isn't a speech or internet freedom issue. Migrating a server or two to a different provider to not support the parent company is easy protest, that's all.

If it's related to privacy or speech, I care more about it.

just tired of the kiwi obession

Honestly, so am I. Much worse sites on the internet that don't get the level of hate they do yet people are obsessed with trying to remove it. Maybe once every week or so I'll search Twitter to see what the latest drama is since I don't actually use the site. I never even heard of the site until the Cloudflare drama.

The intention of this thread was more anti-Epik than boo-hoo Kiwifarms. KF has other domains and are still online, I don't think they've actually been "taken down" for any long extended period of time. If their users aren't using the Tor site than that's their own fault. I just think it's shitty practice for a domain registrar that praises itself as being useful for alt-tech and controversial websites to... seize a controversial domain while they're in the middle of a campaign to earn back customer trust.

• jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker
    edited December 2023

@emgh said:
    [Epik & masterbuck]

Thanks for the links. Frankly, I didn't see any tangible and credible evidence there. But then I do not even know whether masterbucks is owned and/or operated by Mr. Monster and who f_cked up, if anyone.

All I see there is a sadly typical forum thread with a few users fired up and throwing wild allegations -and- a Mr. Monster who throws around empty corporate and some "I try to be a good christian" blabla.
    Plus some lawyers(?) acting weirdly and conspiciously as if thinking they don't have enough to go to court but at least want to virtue signal "we fight for our client".

My personal take so far is: classical case of disliking the man and therefore trying to smear his company.
    It would be great if anyone had something tangible, credible and real like court info.

• I just hope Terrahost becomes independent again, they have claimed they can buy themselfs back, but ¯_(ツ)_/¯

@emgh the kf and soyjack party shit is just another fuckup for their "freedom" stance, I moved my domains out when I became aware of the masterbucks drama and the other one with the management shuffling and shit, forgot the exact thing.

I hope internetbs and namecrane can stay cool. May privacy stay cool and hip.

Thanked by 2sillycat emgh
  • @kait said: I just hope Terrahost becomes independent again

Do you think they will bought their own company back from Rob? No way this gonna happen. Business is business, while ethics and morale can be purchased with dollars.

• @LTniger said: Do you think they will bought their own company back from Rob? No way this gonna happen. Business is business, while ethics and morale can be purchased with dollars.

Nah, while Terrahost building a new DC looks good and makes me a bit more hopeful I think nothing will change. Maybe @crunchbits can open a European location.

Thanked by 2sillycat Zyra
  • @kait said:
    I hope internetbs and namecrane can stay cool. May privacy stay cool and hip.

What is the website address for NameCrane?

• @josephf said: What is the website address for NameCrane?

I think namecrane.com/net/org are all his, but its not live yet.

• @kait said: they have claimed they can buy themselfs back, but ¯(ツ)

Tbh I don't trust that at all

• @emgh said: Tbh I don't trust that at all

Let me have a little hope okay, never used them and don't plan on using them though.

Thanked by 1emgh
  • @kait said:

@emgh said: Tbh I don't trust that at all

Let me have a little hope okay, never used them and don't plan on using them though.

About good domain registrars though, Inleed is prem <3

• @Moopah said:
    I recommend IncogNet, they have top quality servers and service.

*when they respond and actually do a domain transfer :/

• https://nitter.net/XJosh/status/1734952135396061212

"Big thanks to @namesilo, who has allowed us to park the kiwifarms.net domain with them and set up a redirect. I have a plan to return to it as a primary domain in 2024.

While I totally understand when a company can't touch us, why can't we ever get prior notice?"

Thanked by 1kait
  • yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

Once upon a time, IncogNet caved to the pressure and cancelled @JoshuaMoon service:
    https://lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/3506025/#Comment_3506025

• @emgh said:

@kait said:

@emgh said: Tbh I don't trust that at all

About good domain registrars though, Inleed is prem <3

What makes them especially good?

• @yoursunny said: Once upon a time, IncogNet caved to the pressure

Incognet didn't carve into pressure, WorldStream did. Consider reading the post you linked once again.

• @josephf said: What makes them especially good?

emgh has a conflict of interest, both are swedish :joy: their prices are a bit huge but looks alright.

Thanked by 1sillycat
  • @jsg said:

@Tito said:
    It [Terrahost] was doomed the day Epik bought them out.

Former short-time (and not anymore) Epik customer, very happy Terrahost / @terrahost customer, and guy who actually was in communication with Mr. Monster speaking:

I don't remember how I, some years ago, came to use Epik; maybe a promo. Anyway, no particularly negative customer experience. Please note that that doesn't mean that Epik was at all times and still is a fine company. It simply means that Epik was not always a bad company, nor did they scam all customers, if any (idk).

To Terrahost I came when HostSolutions sold/handed over (idk) part of their business to them and Terrahost honored an absolutely insane HS deal - and with good quality. A while later Epik or Mr. Monster became the (major?) owner ... and, seen from my customer perspective, nothing changed. Terrahost was an excellent provider and still is an excellent provider.

My interaction with Mr. Monster was related to his/their offer to test/benchmark their new location in Lagos, Nigeria. Everything was very polite and they put no conditions on me (always a sine qua non from my side). I don't remember details but seem to remember that I had a short, somewhat unrelated discussion with Mr. Monster and he kindly obliged, the to/fro went relatively quickly and he was friendly and constructive.

TL;DR Epik? Oh well, one amongst many. Maybe a bad apple (idk). Terrahost - a great hoster, really excellent and fast and good support too. Mr. Monster - at the end of the day just a business man. Potentially open to things others would refuse and he seems to like the spotlight.
    Anyway, as long as Terrahost continues to be an excellent provider I will stay with them, no matter who owns the company, as long as it's not a murderous dictator.

Please also note that "free speech" - in a somewhat excessive and occasionally bizarre - version largely is a us-american thing. In most other jurisdictions KF would never have been tolerated in the first place.

P.S. Please feel free to provide links to Epik's alleged scamming customers! (I honestly don't know/remember that)

Thanks for sharing! :)

• @LTniger said:
    It will resurect under the different name. Probably kiwifarms.ru

it's under .st cuz

• From what I understand, Terrahost is under different management than Epik LLC which bought the Epik registrar.

• @NewbieInTraining said:
    https://nitter.net/XJosh/status/1734952135396061212

"Big thanks to @namesilo, who has allowed us to park the kiwifarms.net domain with them and set up a redirect. I have a plan to return to it as a primary domain in 2024.

While I totally understand when a company can't touch us, why can't we ever get prior notice?"

Its already been moved from NameSilo to NameCheap. We'll see how long that lasts. 24-48 hours?

• @4pple5auc3 said:

@NewbieInTraining said:
    https://nitter.net/XJosh/status/1734952135396061212

Its already been moved from NameSilo to NameCheap. We'll see how long that lasts. 24-48 hours?

Why would he think that spreading the word, thanking them, would be appreciated by them?

He seems completely clueless..

• epic

• LeviLevi Member

Tweet mentions hosted cp. Incognet would also boot out this scum out of their system. There is no place in the whole world for this.

• kaitkait Member

@Levi said:
    Tweet mentions hosted cp. Incognet would also boot out this scum out of their system. There is no place in the whole world for this.

If there was really CP, no one has been able to show any CP hosted on KF.