Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Epik seizes the KiwiFarms.net domain name // Terrahost replacement suggestions
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Epik seizes the KiwiFarms.net domain name // Terrahost replacement suggestions

MannDudeMannDude Host Rep, Veteran

Epik, after stealing a ton of money from people and trying to recover from their poor image (despite still owing people money)... steals seizes a domain name. Interesting strategy in recovering your brand image, but okay.

Anyhow, I have some internal infra with Terrahost who is owned by Epik. Looking for a replacement. Any suggestions?

Comments

• MannDudeMannDude Host Rep, Veteran

@Moopah said:
    I recommend IncogNet, they have top quality servers and service.

We don't believe in putting all of our eggs in one basket. Things like our billing portal, website, DNS, mail and control panels aren't hosted on our IP space or ASN. That way, if there is an issue, it's not just radio silence from us.

Our network is basically for our customers, not for us.

• Go for Hetzner.
    DE+FI or DE+US

• HostSlickHostSlick Member, Patron Provider
    edited December 2023

Last time i provided BGP for KF some months ago the Troons made me look like Criminal so hard.
    They claim you are nazi, hosting CP. etc etc. Until one of your upstreams get upset.

Hell, when does someone put a end to this.

• @MannDude Who do you resell?

Thanked by 1sillycat
  • Oh and @Francisco will people be able to resell namecrane? (non kf related)

Thanked by 1sillycat
  • MannDudeMannDude Host Rep, Veteran

@kait said:
    @MannDude Who do you resell?

Namecheap and InternetBS.

@kait said:
    Oh and @Francisco will people be able to resell namecrane? (non kf related)

From what I understand, yes. We'll be reselling Namecrane.

Thanked by 3Francisco sillycat adly
  • kaitkait Member
    edited December 2023

@MannDude said: Namecheap and InternetBS.

Ah cool, looked at internetbs for my own domain before, looked nice. Currently looking into Netim because they look cheap.

@MannDude said: From what I understand, yes. We'll be reselling Namecrane.

Oh damn, that would be nice, hope I can join namecrane when it comes out.

Thanked by 1sillycat
  • @HostSlick said:
    Last time i provided BGP for KF some months ago the Troons made me look like Criminal so hard.
    They claim you are nazi, hosting CP. etc etc. Until one of your upstreams get upset.

Did you back down?

• Epik are criminals.
    I've moved out domains from them and would certrainly not recommend Epik or its sister brands like terrahost. Once a confidence is lost, it lost.

• crunchbitscrunchbits Member, Patron Provider, Top Host

@MannDude said:
    Anyhow, I have some internal infra with Terrahost who is owned by Epik. Looking for a replacement. Any suggestions?

I know these guys in uhh... Oklahoma City.. Bitcrunch I think? Great services.

• DataIdeas-JoshDataIdeas-Josh Member, Patron Provider

@MannDude said:
    We don't believe in putting all of our eggs in one basket. Things like our billing portal, website, DNS, mail and control panels aren't hosted on our IP space or ASN. That way, if there is an issue, it's not just radio silence from us.

Our network is basically for our customers, not for us.

Agreed. Same thinking here.

Thanked by 1sillycat
  • @crunchbits said:

@MannDude said:

I know these guys in uhh... Oklahoma City.. Bitcrunch I think? Great services.

Bitcrunch? Sounds like a summerhost to me

• LMAOOOOO.

Okay jokes aside, I am not too surprised this has happened. Epik has had a history of backtracking on their "free-speech" claim when they can pull the plug on customers like anybody else.

They did this before with 8chan, the Daily Stormer, and just recently Soyjak Party! :D

• TitoTito Member
    edited December 2023

@JasonM said:
    Epik are criminals.
    I've moved out domains from them and would certrainly not recommend Epik or its sister brands like terrahost. Once a confidence is lost, it lost.

You made the right choice brudda, Epik is a lost cause, not worth the time or money now.

@HostSlick said:

Sorry cuz but that's your own fault.

• hresserhresser Member
    edited December 2023

it's really unbelievable, the most they should do is to hold the domain name and verify the identity of the owner, they should not do that without a court order.

• Terrahost used to be good from LET reviewers, shame it got bought by Epik

Thanked by 2emgh adly
  • TitoTito Member
    edited December 2023

@hresser said:
    it's really unbelievable, the most they should do is to hold the domain name and verify the identity of the owner, they should not do that without a court order.

They handed him the transfer codes.

@Moopah said:
    Terrahost used to be good from LET reviewers, shame it got bought by Epik

It was doomed the day Epik bought them out.

• Absolute insanity. What a thing to wake up to…

• I love how some people on here are getting way more upset that they’ve seized kiwifarms.net compared to the fact that they basically exit scammed a bunch of people previously.

• When A BUNCH of people lost actual money: ”Whatever, they still serve daddy josh and I’m fine with it”

When daddy josh lost his domain: ”OMG HOW CAN THIS OCCUR DADDY JOSH CAN I DO ANYTHING TO MAKE IT UP FOR YOU??”

Thanked by 1sasslik
  • jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited December 2023

@emgh said:
    I love how some people on here are getting way more upset that they’ve seized kiwifarms.net compared to the fact that they basically exit scammed a bunch of people previously.

Am I mistaken in recalling quite a few people saying negative things about them relating to that conversation? I don’t think one should have to reply to a thread about one thing by mentioning their opinion on another thing to not be accused of only caring about one of the two, but that’s just me.

The moment Epik became a joke to me though was when they were trashing Monster on their twitter account. A company of that size trashing its founder on social media, from the official company account, is so hilariously bad I considered them dead right then. Anyone still using them must have been desperate, unaware, or brave.

Thanked by 3emgh bikegremlin adly
  • emghemgh Member
    edited December 2023

@jar said:

@emgh said:
    I love how some people on here are getting way more upset that they’ve seized kiwifarms.net compared to the fact that they basically exit scammed a bunch of people previously.

Am I mistaken in recalling quite a few people saying negative things about them relating to that conversation?

Yup, but not the same people.

@MannDude for example, they basically exit scammed a bunch of people, he stays, the seize kiwi, he runs (from Terra).

Makes no sense unless there’s a weird kiwi fetish going on.

Thanked by 1Mumbly
  • jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker
    edited December 2023

@Tito said:
    It [Terrahost] was doomed the day Epik bought them out.

Former short-time (and not anymore) Epik customer, very happy Terrahost / @terrahost customer, and guy who actually was in communication with Mr. Monster speaking:

I don't remember how I, some years ago, came to use Epik; maybe a promo. Anyway, no particularly negative customer experience. Please note that that doesn't mean that Epik was at all times and still is a fine company. It simply means that Epik was not always a bad company, nor did they scam all customers, if any (idk).

To Terrahost I came when HostSolutions sold/handed over (idk) part of their business to them and Terrahost honored an absolutely insane HS deal - and with good quality. A while later Epik or Mr. Monster became the (major?) owner ... and, seen from my customer perspective, nothing changed. Terrahost was an excellent provider and still is an excellent provider.

My interaction with Mr. Monster was related to his/their offer to test/benchmark their new location in Lagos, Nigeria. Everything was very polite and they put no conditions on me (always a sine qua non from my side). I don't remember details but seem to remember that I had a short, somewhat unrelated discussion with Mr. Monster and he kindly obliged, the to/fro went relatively quickly and he was friendly and constructive.

TL;DR Epik? Oh well, one amongst many. Maybe a bad apple (idk). Terrahost - a great hoster, really excellent and fast and good support too. Mr. Monster - at the end of the day just a business man. Potentially open to things others would refuse and he seems to like the spotlight.
    Anyway, as long as Terrahost continues to be an excellent provider I will stay with them, no matter who owns the company, as long as it's not a murderous dictator.

Please also note that "free speech" - in a somewhat excessive and occasionally bizarre - version largely is a us-american thing. In most other jurisdictions KF would never have been tolerated in the first place.

P.S. Please feel free to provide links to Epik's alleged scamming customers! (I honestly don't know/remember that)

Thanked by 3Tito maverick adly
  • @jsg said: P.S. Please feel free to provide links to Epik's alleged scamming customers!

https://www.namepros.com/threads/epik-masterbucks-stole-us-us-1-5m-horror-story-july-2023-update.1308707/

There's a huge thread on there with a bunch of other people as well as people paid for renewals and not getting domains renewed etc, huge thing. Can't find the "main" thread though but it was linked on here on the last big Epik thread.

Thanked by 2jsg adly

@emgh said:

@jar said:

@emgh said:

Am I mistaken in recalling quite a few people saying negative things about them relating to that conversation?

Yup, but not the same people.

@MannDude for example, they basically exit scammed a bunch of people, he stays, the seize kiwi, he runs (from Terra).

Makes no sense unless there’s a weird kiwi fetish going on.

You sure? I interpret this as fitting the bill: https://lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/3562707/#Comment_3562707

Of course the perspective is different but so is the subject matter.

• emghemgh Member
    edited December 2023

@jar said: You sure?

I'm sure that he stayed, otherwise how could he move now? (Or he started being a client AFTER the potential scamming, but to his defence, probably not.)

All I'm saying is that it's weird when people get so upset that they leave when they've seized ONE nazi-forum domain that most other registrars would have suspended a long time ago (don't argue with the nazi part, I don't want to write 6 paragraphs on what/why, but let's be honest, you know what I mean) for one/a few days, but literally being accused of scamming countless of people out of millions of dollars don't encourage a leave.

@emgh said:

@jar said: You sure?

I'm sure that he stayed, otherwise how could he move now? (Or he started being a client AFTER the _potential _ scamming, but to his defence, probably not.

All I'm saying is that it's weird when people get so upset that they leave when they've seized ONE nazi-forum domain that most other registrars would have suspended a long time ago (don't argue with the nazi part, I don't want to write 6 paragraphs on what/why, but let's be honest, you know what I mean) for one/a few days, but literally scamming countless of people out of millions of dollars don't encourage a leave.

Sorry I wasn’t trying to be overly argumentative. Was just sitting on the toilet listening to the Boy Meets World podcast (as any true American would). I just think Curtis is a good guy is all.

Thanked by 3emgh iKeyZ adly