Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking for a small VPS in Canada (preferably Southern Ontario)
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Looking for a small VPS in Canada (preferably Southern Ontario)

I'm looking for a VPS in Canada, specifically Ontario, and preferably south of Toronto (are there any providers on LET in like London, Sarnia, or Windsor?). I'll settle for GTA if that's the best choice available, but I'm hoping to find something interesting (else I'd have just signed up with someone already, eh?).

I intend to use it as a personal VPN endpoint for services that rely upon Canadian IP geolocation. My device IPs bounce across the border between the US and Canada and being able to access certain things in a stable fashion would be nice. Even nicer if I can keep the geolocation nearish to my physical self. (Sorry Ottawa! Love y'all but just too far for my tastes/needs on this.) :)

My only real requirements are:

• A tun/tap device (of course, since VPN)
  • Stable port speed of at least 100 Mbit (that makes 50/50 possible)
  • At least 1 TB/mo data allotment
  • A recent Linux distro (RPM [e.g. SuSE/RedHat-derived] preferred, but nothing at/near end of life [looking at you, Ubuntu 18.04...]), or a BSD (Free, Net, Open) or Illumos/Solaris

Bonus points for:

• IPv6 (it's 2023 so IPv6 is a thing now finally, but at the same time I'm hoping for cheap and recognize that means I might only get one IP)
  • Custom rDNS
  • Ability to install the OS myself from an ISO (not Windows, to be clear)
  • Port speed of at least 250 Mbit
  • 3 TB/mo data allotment (just so I don't have to worry about getting too close)

As you can see, I'm pretty flexible and not against going with a provider's experimental offering if they have something new and interesting they are curious to try. :) At the low end, we're all here to have fun and push the limits, right? :D

Comments

• emg88emg88 Member
    edited October 2023
  • I'm trying to find something south of Toronto though :/

• Good luck

• @freerangecloud has a bunch of stuff in Canada, they might be able to help (or know someone who can)

• freerangecloudfreerangecloud Member, Patron Provider

@fluffernutter said:
    @freerangecloud has a bunch of stuff in Canada, they might be able to help (or know someone who can)

We do have Toronto, nothing south of Toronto though. I believe we should meet all of your other requirements (we do have IPv6 as a first-class citizen!)

Thanked by 2lewellyn greentea
  • SmartHostSmartHost Patron Provider, Veteran

@lewellyn said:
    I'm trying to find something south of Toronto though :/

Why?
    Traffic is just going to bounce to Toronto or Buffalo/Detroit/Chicago anyways.

We can offer service in all four of those locations.
    http://smarthost.net/data-centers.php

~ SMARTHOST

• @SmartHost said:

@lewellyn said:
    I'm trying to find something south of Toronto though :/

Why?
    Traffic is just going to bounce to Toronto or Buffalo/Detroit/Chicago anyways.

We can offer service in all four of those locations.
    http://smarthost.net/data-centers.php

~ SMARTHOST

Because I'm trying to keep my geolocation similar to my actual location. A four hour drive is a little further than ideal for me. :) And, no, I can't fix these services that trust GeoIP databases as gospel. :/

• @freerangecloud said:

@fluffernutter said:
    @freerangecloud has a bunch of stuff in Canada, they might be able to help (or know someone who can)

We do have Toronto, nothing south of Toronto though. I believe we should meet all of your other requirements (we do have IPv6 as a first-class citizen!)

Actually, you have something I hadn't considered... An IP tunnel. I suspect I could just route that particular traffic through said tunnel... Do you have any documents on how the tunnels work? I can think of a few approaches, of varying likelihood of success with what I have in mind now.

Interesting thought, since it's not looking promising to even find something in KW. :( I had kind of hoped to find a provider operating out of MNSi's DC (in Windsor) but I suspected they probably charge too much to be considered by low-end providers.

• LunaNode is in Toronto if you want a really good provider.

@lewellyn said:

@freerangecloud said:

@fluffernutter said:

Actually, you have something I hadn't considered... An IP tunnel. I suspect I could just route that particular traffic through said tunnel... Do you have any documents on how the tunnels work? I can think of a few approaches, of varying likelihood of success with what I have in mind now.

Interesting thought, since it's not looking promising to even find something in KW. :( I had kind of hoped to find a provider operating out of MNSi's DC (in Windsor) but I suspected they probably charge too much to be considered by low-end providers.

We don't have any docs per say, but happy to answer any questions. Our IP tunnel product is fairly self explanatory though, we provision a VPN tunnel on our infrastructure and route one or more pubic IPs to it and you would then configure you side of the tunnel on a router (or pc for that matter) and route the return traffic back to us.

Thanked by 1lewellyn
  • Geolocation is nowhere near accurate enough in Canada to be able to pinpoint you between Toronto and 1hr away from Toronto... That being said, there are some providers operating from DataCity, Kitchener-Waterloo that you may want to look at.

CloudAtCost has an awful reputation but if you get one of their Monthly plans I'm sure it'll be vaguely usable... https://www.cloudatcost.com/

Thanked by 1lewellyn
  • greenteagreentea Member
    edited October 2023

I can vouch for @freerangecloud. I have a VPS from the Vancouver datacenter and have had no issues for the year-ish I've been with them! I use them for a VPS, since my AT&T plan routes all Canadian traffic through Houston, Texas.

• @freerangecloud said:

@lewellyn said:

@freerangecloud said:

@fluffernutter said:

We don't have any docs per say, but happy to answer any questions. Our IP tunnel product is fairly self explanatory though, we provision a VPN tunnel on our infrastructure and route one or more pubic IPs to it and you would then configure you side of the tunnel on a router (or pc for that matter) and route the return traffic back to us.

OK and then I'd basically just route, say, 192.0.2.0/24 through that tunnel and call it a day, then? That's what I'm hoping the case would be, at least, since that's the easiest way I can think of solving the problem. :)

Do you have IPv6 available for those tunnels for e.g. 2001:DB8::/32? (BTW these are not routable IPs and are being used for their intended purpose: example/documentation.)

I'm not sure what'd happen to these resources if I tried to blackhole their IPv6 addresses, to try to force IPv4, honestly. And I just don't have the energy right now to even try to find out. :cold_sweat:

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

ONIX best IXP, starts at $4/month

@lewellyn said:

@freerangecloud said:

@lewellyn said:

@freerangecloud said:

@fluffernutter said:

OK and then I'd basically just route, say, 192.0.2.0/24 through that tunnel and call it a day, then? That's what I'm hoping the case would be, at least, since that's the easiest way I can think of solving the problem. :)

Do you have IPv6 available for those tunnels for e.g. 2001:DB8::/32? (BTW these are not routable IPs and are being used for their intended purpose: example/documentation.)

I'm not sure what'd happen to these resources if I tried to blackhole their IPv6 addresses, to try to force IPv4, honestly. And I just don't have the energy right now to even try to find out. :cold_sweat:

Might be easiest if you shoot me a DM or open a ticket as I'm not entirely sure what you're asking here, 192.0.2.0/24 is an example prefix (it cant be routed over the Internet). If you have your own IP space, we can announce it and route it over a tunnel to you if that's what you're after?

• I think the best location you can find in Southern Ontario would be Waterloo - Kitchener or London. You can probably find some hosting provider like (n plus networks), kindomweb or (rack and data). From my prospective, the prices don't worse it.