Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why OVH's servers are so unreliable
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Why OVH's servers are so unreliable

OVH has been running a tempting sales campaign recently, so I rented their GAME-2 servers to power my game network. But unfortunately, things didn't go as expected.

Their server is EXTREMELY UNRELIABLE with uncontrolled RANDOM HARD RESET regularly causing DATA LOSS. There are NUL bytes everywhere, and some files even shrink to zero, leading to data corruption affecting many customers and forcing us to roll back their data to older backups. We had a lousy time resolving a colossal amount of tickets of customers complaining that their inventory items were gone. And after settling all of them, IT HARD RESET'D AGAIN and, well... at that moment we knew, we f' up.

Our team has reviewed all available logs (syslog, kern.log, /var/crash, etc.). There's no trace of a software error, kernel crash, or whatever is causing it. Using the last reboot command, we saw multiple entries state still running, making us think a hard reset caused it. Otherwise, it should say crash or the server's uptime time if shut down properly.

For context, we rented two GAME-2 simultaneously with identical software and setup. Everything was identical, but the second one did not have this issue. However, the first one, which we are referring to, is constantly crashing.

Of course, we also tried to contact their support team, but we have not heard back for nearly 12 hours.

As a long-time customer (4 years) with multiple servers operated by OVH, I'm upset with their service quality lately.

OVH, please resolve this issue, as we are on pins and needles.

Comments

• I feel for you man, been there before, having to deal with incident support. Things are going to be slow, you just got a bad server with a faulty motherboard or psu. Once the faulty part is replaced and you should be good. Don't mess around with logs and stuff, just get them to replace all hardware on the server, PSU, Motherboard and RAM, all 3 things.

If that doesn't fix it, buy a new GAME-2, and time transfer the remaining time on your faulty GAME-2 to the new one.

Also while the server is offline, make sure proactive monitoring is enabled. Some times the datacenter techs do the replacements themselves.

Thanked by 3tinokun Erisa kuticon
  • NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

Ask for motherboard replacement?

Make sure the software you are running is not causing these reboots (kernel etc), you have to feed them something, if you just tell them, yea its rebooting, it may help at Hetzner, but not OVH it seems.

Thanked by 1tinokun
  • T_LT_L Member

@Neoon said:

Make sure the software you are running is not causing these reboots (kernel etc), you have to feed them something, if you just tell them, yea its rebooting, it may help at Hetzner, but not OVH it seems.

You do see the last picture right ? Clearly they provided the kern log and everthing that needed

Thanked by 1tinokun
  • NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran
    edited April 2023

@T_L said:

@Neoon said:

You do see the last picture right ? Clearly they provided the kern log and everthing that needed

Kinda, however no full logs, so No idea what he really had send them.

Thanked by 1gavinvslly
  • PagePage Member

https://www.trustpilot.com/review/ovhcloud.com

OVH no money back, bad attitude, unprofessional! so!

Don't get your hopes up on ovh, look at trustpilot and you'll understand everything.

Thanked by 1tinokun
  • Urgent doesn't exist in OVH's dictionary, except if you pay for it.
    Do you pay for support on the weekends?
    https://www.ovhcloud.com/en-ie/support-levels/plans/

Thanked by 1tinokun
  • tinokuntinokun Member
    edited April 2023

@Neoon said:

@T_L said:

@Neoon said:

Kinda, however no full logs, so No idea what he really had send them.

We go through the log and this is the part logging what had happened when the server rebooted. The log is flooded with UFW firewall BLOCK logs that's not relevant to this issue. We also write some comments on the image so that it can be easier to understand.

kern.log:

syslog:

• @Smith42 said: Also while the server is offline, make sure proactive monitoring is enabled

Seconded. Have you turned off Monitoring and Monitored Services?

Their automated management will reset your server if it fails monitoring.

Thanked by 1tinokun
  • rdesrdes Member
    edited April 2023

At OVH, you always should take server without a contract and, in case of such problems, simply order another one.
    Their technical support is useless when origin of problems is not clear, they don't have procedures for that.

I also had a server that randomly rebooting (sometimes once a month, sometimes three times a day) and unless there's clear information from the logs (faulty disk, RAM errors etc) or server became completely dead you'll have to send 100 emails to get them to do something.

Last year, another problem with new server in RBX5, which had some strange firewall mode enabled in their network and just wouldn't pass any traffic through the gre/ipip tunnels. 3 weeks of mailing in and out, and they said everything is fine... Ordered another one, and everything worked there ;).

Thanked by 1tinokun
  • What I experienced:
    1. A group of servers are always offline in the early morning due to high traffic. I need to restart the next day to restore the service, send a work order, and then reply me with nonsense that cannot solve the problem.
    2. Confused bills
    3. The reply speed of the work order is always very slow
    4. But I'm sure OVH's sales staff, but their power is too limited

Thanked by 1tinokun
  • TameraxTamerax Member
    edited April 2023

It took OVH 2 days to swap out a hard drive that died on my machine...and then a week + $150 service charge to get the hard drive to my data recovery place....that was literally a 20 min drive from the data center...

Or when they double charged me for a month and it took over a month of back and forth and for some reason 3 different levels of management to finally get it sorted out.

Been moving all my stuff away from them.

Thanked by 1tinokun
  • I am having similar problems. My server is rebooting but the logs don't show any sign of a shutdown, just a power on.

They have advised me that they have changed the cooling system and PSU but still having these random issues.

There is nothing obvious that I can see from the logs and did do a rebuild a few months back but that didn't help.

Any ideas what it could be or what I can do to prove it either way to get OVH to check/replace other hardware ?

Thanks in advance

Thanked by 1tinokun
  • T_LT_L Member

@happyman said:
    I am having similar problems. My server is rebooting but the logs don't show any sign of a shutdown, just a power on.

They have advised me that they have changed the cooling system and PSU but still having these random issues.

There is nothing obvious that I can see from the logs and did do a rebuild a few months back but that didn't help.

Any ideas what it could be or what I can do to prove it either way to get OVH to check/replace other hardware ?

Thanks in advance

Write them a ticket is your best hope

Thanked by 1tinokun
  • dataforestdataforest Member, Patron Provider

We talked to an OVH sales representative last week, the statement: the free support is free and factually non-existent, for everything else you have to book support levels.

Thanked by 1tinokun
  • GhtGht Member
    edited April 2023

I made an order last 2 months at ovh , they never activated my order the payment was paid/pending(waiting for auth) paypal, and they canceled-refunded after 1 month , i contacted them no reply back. They are dead i think. So never gona use them again

Thanked by 1tinokun
  • OVH US?

• @EthanZou said:
    OVH US?

OVH APAC (Singapore)

• as I know OVH has stable server and sucks network

• rEDrED Member

Of course, we also tried to contact their support team, but we have not heard back for nearly 12 hours.

Lol goodluck. I just got a reply today after 8 days. They've become horrible.

• OVH_APACOVH_APAC Member, Patron Provider

Hi @tinokun , could you share with us via PM your ticket reference number? Thanks!

• T_LT_L Member

@OVH_APAC said:
    Hi @tinokun, could you share with us PM your ticket reference number? Thanks!

Hi, I've written the ticket number on your page. I and @tinokun are partners, I am the ones whose credit card is being charged monthly for your faulty server. Your support team (including your technician) is having trouble reading my tickets because I CLEARLY STATED THAT IN MULTIPLE TICKETS "we also have another same dedicated server running the same software/hardware/config" your technicians still blaming the "config" so if you want to support us the best way to do is swapping out the faulty one for a different one. I don't want to keep going in a circle of writing a new ticket and in the hope that your side can fix the problem just for you to go and do a "CHECK" that tells us everything is going fine when in fact, we did provide the logs and granted permission for them check the log clearly the log "ISN'T FINE"

The ticket number are as follow (from oldest to newest) :

• OVH_APACOVH_APAC Member, Patron Provider
    edited April 2023

Hi @T_L , @tinokun , our sales representative will be in touch directly to assist you on the matter shortly. We apologise for the inconvenience caused and thanks for bringing this to our attention.

• Lu5ckLu5ck Member
    edited April 2023

Didn't do a bad sector check and memory check? OVH is known to focus money first, quality last.

• ovh is highly reliable some of my servers have more than 1000 days uptime may be its a faulty hardware which is creating problem for you better just ditch the server and buy another one from ovh

• JamesFJamesF Member, Host Rep

OVH UK or Zare for a dedicated server? Which would be your choice?

• Zare or Clouvider