Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

HostNamaste Instance slows down without warning, and without reason
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

HostNamaste Instance slows down without warning, and without reason

paul92paul92 Member

Hi all. Not sure if this is the correct thread but thought I'd try anyway.

I have a reasonably cheap shared hosting package with Host Namaste.

I have a Windows VPS with 3 ocus, and 2GB RAM. This has a 256gb SSD.

I have an online radio station running.
My plan focuses more on storage than performance, although performance is usually okay.

There are times where performance suffers - I stream out audio, and process it on the VPS using Stereo Tool, this usually works fine, but when things slow down, I get endless buffering, and not responding messages when I attempt to RDP in to see what's going on.

Yesterday morning South African time, I was struck with this issue again. I restarted, and It took me at least 10 minutes to restart the VPS, and log in again, and restart everything - then eventually performance was back to normal. Things were just so slow, using the HTML VNC webpage on the HostNamste website, the remote interface loaded the image like a dial up connection, it was nearly impossible to use.

What I find even more strange is that I didn't touch or change anything that lead to my performance being impacted. It usually works fine an hour or so before buffering, and not responding starts.

I usually log a ticket with support staff who ask for my Admin password, or are able to resolve the issue which leads to my performance being okay again, before the issue eventually creeps up again.

The physical machine seems to be something redhat based, and my virtual interface seems to be QEMU of some sort. At the moment it is working fine. Everything is playing out, as it should although I am certain at some stage the issue will creep up again, where out of nowhere my performance will be impacted.

I have disabled so many services in order speed the machine up, so that resources aren't wasted, Even my Updates are disabled, as that would mean it would restart by itself, and I need this machine to remain always on.

If the issue is because a restart is needed every so often how does one keep a machine on, without my performance being impacted.

Although I strongly feel that someone, or somewhere may be misusing Hostnamaste's resources, which cause other users of their products such as myself to be impacted at times which isn't right.

If anybody else having the same issue? I currently have radio software databases, and a 5000 track music collection on rotation so replacing providers or switching to a higher package would prove difficult but not impossible. Although doesn't explain how at most of the time performance is fine, and this issue creeps up, then goes away again.

Thanks

Comments

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

"Didn't change anything" is the most misleading and common thing you want to avoid. Just avoid the thought around that entirely, it doesn't help identify the problem, it implies blame, and it isn't logically relevant. What you need is an MTR at the time of the issue, nothing matters until you have that.

Thanked by 1emgh
  • VoidVoid Member

How much are you paying for it?

@paul92 said:
    Hi all. Not sure if this is the correct thread but thought I'd try anyway.

I have a reasonably cheap shared hosting package with Host Namaste.

I have a Windows VPS with 3 ocus, and 2GB RAM. This has a 256gb SSD.

I have an online radio station running.
    My plan focuses more on storage than performance, although performance is usually okay.

There are times where performance suffers - I stream out audio, and process it on the VPS using Stereo Tool, this usually works fine, but when things slow down, I get endless buffering, and not responding messages when I attempt to RDP in to see what's going on.

Yesterday morning South African time, I was struck with this issue again. I restarted, and It took me at least 10 minutes to restart the VPS, and log in again, and restart everything - then eventually performance was back to normal. Things were just so slow, using the HTML VNC webpage on the HostNamste website, the remote interface loaded the image like a dial up connection, it was nearly impossible to use.

What I find even more strange is that I didn't touch or change anything that lead to my performance being impacted. It usually works fine an hour or so before buffering, and not responding starts.

I usually log a ticket with support staff who ask for my Admin password, or are able to resolve the issue which leads to my performance being okay again, before the issue eventually creeps up again.

The physical machine seems to be something redhat based, and my virtual interface seems to be QEMU of some sort. At the moment it is working fine. Everything is playing out, as it should although I am certain at some stage the issue will creep up again, where out of nowhere my performance will be impacted.

I have disabled so many services in order speed the machine up, so that resources aren't wasted, Even my Updates are disabled, as that would mean it would restart by itself, and I need this machine to remain always on.

If the issue is because a restart is needed every so often how does one keep a machine on, without my performance being impacted.

Although I strongly feel that someone, or somewhere may be misusing Hostnamaste's resources, which cause other users of their products such as myself to be impacted at times which isn't right.

If anybody else having the same issue? I currently have radio software databases, and a 5000 track music collection on rotation so replacing providers or switching to a higher package would prove difficult but not impossible. Although doesn't explain how at most of the time performance is fine, and this issue creeps up, then goes away again.

Thanks

• MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

A Windows VPS with only 2 GB RAM?

You'll need to increase the RAM there, it's not sufficient.

• emghemgh Member

@jar said: "Didn't change anything"

I've gotten that a lot from clients recently. I don't sell hosting on a scale or anything but I do handle a few websites for clients (just put them on a reseller package and do the support). Turns out, that sentence is a major hint towards the fact that they DID do something.

Thanked by 1jar
  • jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited May 2022

@emgh said:

I've gotten that a lot from clients recently. I don't sell hosting on a scale or anything but I do handle a few websites for clients (just put them on a reseller package and do the support). Turns out, that sentence is a major hint towards the fact that they DID do something.

It also indicates a lack of understanding that not doing anything can in itself cause problems. Not installing updates, not doing any management tasks. Not paying the electric bill gets the lights shut off, etc.

In shared hosting it usually means they never updated WordPress and now 3 years later they're compromised and it must be the hosts fault 😂

Thanked by 2emgh quickuse
  • bulbasaurbulbasaur Member
    edited May 2022

@jar said:

@emgh said:

It also indicates a lack of understanding that not doing anything can in itself cause problems. Not installing updates, not doing any management tasks. Not paying the electric bill gets the lights shut off, etc.

To be fair, even for the technically oriented it may be difficult for one to realise the connectedness of one’s actions.

In my case, I once rsynced some files into my home directory with the -a flag, which lead to a permission change on the home directory, which in turn lead OpenSSH to reject all login attempts because it suspected the VPS was compromised.

I was very close to making a ticket saying “I did nuffin’” but eventually troubleshooted the issue to isolate it.

Thanked by 2jar emgh