Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

★ VirMach ★ RYZEN ★ NVMe ★★ $8.88/YR- 384MB ★★ $21.85/YR- 2.5GB ★ Instant ★ Japan Pre-order ★ & More - Page 198
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

★ VirMach ★ RYZEN ★ NVMe ★★ $8.88/YR- 384MB ★★ $21.85/YR- 2.5GB ★ Instant ★ Japan Pre-order ★ & More

Comments

• VirMachVirMach Member, Patron Provider

@LiliLabs said: The business boards suck because the position of the DIMMs blocks all airflow, great way to bake your CPU. I'd rather have 1 in 20 boards die vs having every chip above a 5600x be idling at 90 degrees (seeing this with another host I'm doing consulting for)

Luckily we got the heat issue figured out with some custom fan layout and air shrouds.

@Tokyom said: If you don’t like it, the virmach didn’t get refunded.

Hi, just want to confirm again that we're not withholding a refund. If it was not processed and you created a ticket with the title refund or the word refund in it then it was a mistake, please open one and it'll be processed.

Thanked by 1pdd

@AlwaysSkint said:
    I go away to hospital for three days, getting a heart attack fixed (true story) and still the same crap here. :|
    Would someone mind giving me an update on SEAZ00x migration to NYC and KVMAMSxx migration to AMS Ryzen? (Head's still not "back in the game"). TIA.

DM me your invoice ID for the service, we'll do it right now to maybe help reduce some stress.

• @VirMach said:

Luckily we got the heat issue figured out with some custom fan layout and air shrouds.

you got it fixed on the ASUS boards? the DIMMs are right in front of the cpu cooler on the ones I was thinking about, seems like you would have a lot less thermal headroom due to physics in a 1u chassis at least. 2U would probably be fine.

@FrankZ said:

@AlwaysSkint said: Would someone mind giving me an update on SEAZ00x migration to NYC and KVMAMSxx migration to AMS Ryzen? (Head's still not "back in the game"). TIA.

I tried a AMS to AMS migration without data yesterday, all I got was an IP assigned. VirMach said that the script is broken regarding Amsterdam migration without data at the moment.

VirMach said: Looks like it's still broken then, I'll let our developer know.

Regarding NYC this is the last update. Sounds close, but due to damage that occurred during shipping I expect there will be less servers than expected in the first batch.

VirMach said: NYC Metro - Most of the maintenance adding in new non-XPG SSDs was successful. Setting up more servers now.

Yeah we've done like 4 fixes since and they all don't work, let's see if the new one I'm about to upload does the job.

Thanked by 2FrankZ AlwaysSkint
    edited May 2022

@LiliLabs said:

@VirMach said:

you got it fixed on the ASUS boards? the DIMMs are right in front of the cpu cooler on the ones I was thinking about, seems like you would have a lot less thermal headroom due to physics in a 1u chassis at least. 2U would probably be fine.

Don't make fun of me if I did something stupid, but the best one (not all) that I did was with polycarbonate and made different "chambers" with it, with a custom 3D printed fan set up with certain specific fans in certain XY positions and little inlets/outlets set up to maximize it pushing through air to the CPU while still blowing air in the exact direction of the PCIe NVMe slots and some to the RAM. From my terrible understanding of college physics I vaguely remembered polycarbonate potentially having some good insulation properties but maybe I'm wrong. The best way I could explain the results in simple non-scientific terms is that with the ASRock shroud or no shroud, if you held your hand at the back of the chassis, it felt very weak, and the airflow on mine felt very strong at very specific points. And probably a solid 16C drop.

Anyway, it worked. Really well. Better than the lousy shroud ASRock ships their 1U's with at least.

And yes, I did spend an insane total number of hours on this one aspect down to the point of trying to calculate static pressure, etc. It's probably the "top" reason Ryzen took so long because I can never settle on something. In fact I had to essentially force myself into just shipping out what we had without going through it for the 20th time per server to avoid another year in delays. This shroud/layout was probably "Mark 200+" as in I have like 80 CAD files for the I/O shield, 120 CAD files for the fan setup, and 60 CAD files for the shroud or something like that.

And actually the polycarbonate one was hand-made as in all 3 of our 3D printers broke by then. I do have enough sheets to make more, I just don't know if it'll make it in time, we'll probably send them out as loads go up.

• @VirMach said:

Don't make fun of me if I did something stupid, but the best one (not all) that I did was with polycarbonate and made different "chambers" with it, with a custom 3D printed fan set up with certain specific fans in certain XY positions and little inlets/outlets set up to maximize it pushing through air to the CPU while still blowing air in the exact direction of the PCIe NVMe slots and some to the RAM. From my terrible understanding of college physics I vaguely remembered polycarbonate potentially having some good insulation properties but maybe I'm wrong. The best way I could explain the results in simple non-scientific terms is that with the ASRock shroud or no shroud, if you held your hand at the back of the chassis, it felt very weak, and the airflow on mine felt very strong at very specific points. And probably a solid 16C drop.

Anyway, it worked. Really well. Better than the lousy shroud ASRock ships their 1U's with at least.

Sounds crazy, you got any photos? Or are you considering it a trade secret? Again, are we talking about the ASRock boards or the ASUS ones? The ASRock boards don't have the DIMM issue since they're not obstructing CPU airflow.

Talking about how the DIMMs are in line with the airflow on the ARR board

But not so on the ASUS stuff

edited May 2022

@LiliLabs said:

@VirMach said:

Sounds crazy, you got any photos? Or are you considering it a trade secret? Again, are we talking about the ASRock boards or the ASUS ones? The ASRock boards don't have the DIMM issue since they're not obstructing CPU airflow.

I was talking about ASRock which still did have significant improvement, but my final "fix" would also work on their ASUS motherboards. I'll try it out later when I have some time and report back the numbers to you. I do have those boards as well because those are the ones we were going to set up with KVM switch for Chicago.

The reason our "fix would work is because I specifically did it because of the NVMe SSDs with big heatsinks being in the front similar to the RAM. The concept is to increase static pressure which helps push the air through obstructions.

This photo of a Youtube video I found (searching on Google images for something similar) is kind of what I'm talking about.

For that ASUS board I'd obviously make some modifications to the polycarbonate molding to help it get through the RAM blocking it.

In our setup the CPU heatsink would kind of end up somewhere on the 2/3 portion of that cylinder/cone shape in the Youtube video (but of course it's less of a cone shape due to it being 1U and a motherboard underneath it.)

And no trade secret here just basic physics and I don't mind helping out other providers.

Oh and another edit, throw away the heatsink that comes with that ASUS motherboard, you need another one. (edit) You might have to make your own due to the orientation, that's what I was actually going to work on next for those, as in find one with 90 degree rotation on the fins and probably need your own custom bracket. We bought steel filament for our 3D printer (that's since broken) for that but it also has a weird process where you have to send it in to get cured (I'm using the wrong word, there's another word for it.)

(edit2) Actually their provided heatsink COULD work if you have some kind of power tool and can cut lines into it but maybe that's a terrible idea since I don't remember it having any heatpipes.

Thanked by 1MikePT
  • @VirMach said:

@LiliLabs said:

@VirMach said:

I was talking about ASRock which still did have significant improvement, but my final "fix" would also work on their ASUS motherboards. I'll try it out later when I have some time and report back the numbers to you. I do have those boards as well because those are the ones we were going to set up with KVM switch for Chicago.

The reason our "fix would work is because I specifically did it because of the NVMe SSDs with big heatsinks being in the front similar to the RAM. The concept is to increase static pressure which helps push the air through obstructions.

This photo of a Youtube video I found (searching on Google images for something similar) is kind of what I'm talking about.

For that ASUS board I'd obviously make some modifications to the polycarbonate molding to help it get through the RAM blocking it.

In our setup the CPU heatsink would kind of end up somewhere on the 2/3 portion of that cylinder/cone shape in the Youtube video (but of course it's less of a cone shape due to it being 1U and a motherboard underneath it.)

And no trade secret here just basic physics and I don't mind helping out other providers.

Oh and another edit, throw away the heatsink that comes with that ASUS motherboard, you need another one. (edit) You might have to make your own due to the orientation, that's what I was actually going to work on next for those, as in find one with 90 degree rotation on the fins and probably need your own custom bracket. We bought steel filament for our 3D printer (that's since broken) for that but it also has a weird process where you have to send it in to get cured (I'm using the wrong word, there's another word for it.)

(edit2) Actually their provided heatsink COULD work if you have some kind of power tool and can cut lines into it but maybe that's a terrible idea since I don't remember it having any heatpipes.

Really? I doubt it's necessary, just make the fan spind faster.

edited May 2022

@riofredinand said: Really? I doubt it's necessary, just make the fan spind faster.

The part that ends up being important is it being focused on the CPU heatsink more rather than just hitting the obstructions and spreading out everywhere.

After all if your main source of cooling is high speed fans, if they just go over empty areas on the motherboard that's wasted cooling.

If anyone has any suggestions for some substance I could mix around the air on a motherboard without it damaging everything (to "color" the air) then I can maybe make some video comparisons. Maybe a smoke fog machine of some kind? I don't know.

Edit -- something like this maybe:

I guess I could do it with a broken motherboard/parts so no worries of damaging it.

Fixed a bug with anti-abuse script which was causing some of the overloading/abuse problems by not catching them correctly on some Ryzen nodes.

• TokyomTokyom Member

@cybertech said:

@Tokyom said:

@cybertech said:

@Tokyom said:

@pdd said:

@Tokyom said:
    I ordered products, nothing to do with you, because you were concerned about your machine migration and thought I was talking crap? What is your contribution? Impersonating virmach customer service? My problem is only to him, not to you, because you are not qualified

Look at your own comments, OK? You keep spreading rumors and creating panic! Why can't you give VirMach a break,if you think VirMach didn't do enough why not get a refund? That would solve all your troubles! Do you want people to think that mjj is all about people like you?Remember you didn't spend a ton of money and you don't get to do whatever you want just because you spend money.

What rumours are being spread? I spent $100, the service was not opened, and the work order was not returned. Can't I say what I said, who gave you the right to criticize me here? If you don’t like it, the virmach didn’t get refunded. Since you commented, I hope you will take action. I don't have much money. You refund me $100. Otherwise, don't talk nonsense here.

hope virmach refunds you $100, take the money to learn some English, so you better understand what you buying next time.

You are pitiful!,I want you to talk more

for CNY100 you keep whining like it's your entire life savings, so who is pitiful here...

You are really pitiful, but I admit that my English is not good. You haven't graduated. From your words, you are a person who loves Tim. I complain, what can you do? I said you, what can you do?

• TokyomTokyom Member

@VirMach said:

@LiliLabs said: The business boards suck because the position of the DIMMs blocks all airflow, great way to bake your CPU. I'd rather have 1 in 20 boards die vs having every chip above a 5600x be idling at 90 degrees (seeing this with another host I'm doing consulting for)

@Tokyom said: If you don’t like it, the virmach didn’t get refunded.

Hi, just want to confirm again that we're not withholding a refund. If it was not processed and you created a ticket with the title refund or the word refund in it then it was a mistake, please open one and it'll be processed.

Is it possible to withdraw to the designated account? You can say it. If you say yes, I will open a work order immediately.

@Tokyom said: Is it possible to withdraw to the designated account? You can say it. If you say yes, I will open a work order immediately.

If you mean you deposited/added funds then that's not offered, sorry. We add extra warnings on that and unfortunately the refund would only go to how you paid for the service (so if it's paid with store credit, it goes back to store credit.)

WHMCS (our billing system) does not create a proper "link" in a way where it would refund the proper funds to the original source on a refund which is why we have this policy.

I theoretically could make an exception but I tend not to as then everyone expects it and it creates a high load of work in many instances where there's a lot of adding of funds from different sources.

Which plan did you have purchased, storage?

• @Tokyom said:

@cybertech said:

@Tokyom said:

@cybertech said:

@Tokyom said:

@pdd said:

@Tokyom said:
    I ordered products, nothing to do with you, because you were concerned about your machine migration and thought I was talking crap? What is your contribution? Impersonating virmach customer service? My problem is only to him, not to you, because you are not qualified

Look at your own comments, OK? You keep spreading rumors and creating panic! Why can't you give VirMach a break,if you think VirMach didn't do enough why not get a refund? That would solve all your troubles! Do you want people to think that mjj is all about people like you?Remember you didn't spend a ton of money and you don't get to do whatever you want just because you spend money.

What rumours are being spread? I spent $100, the service was not opened, and the work order was not returned. Can't I say what I said, who gave you the right to criticize me here? If you don’t like it, the virmach didn’t get refunded. Since you commented, I hope you will take action. I don't have much money. You refund me $100. Otherwise, don't talk nonsense here.

hope virmach refunds you $100, take the money to learn some English, so you better understand what you buying next time.

You are pitiful!,I want you to talk more

for CNY100 you keep whining like it's your entire life savings, so who is pitiful here...

You are really pitiful, but I admit that my English is not good. You haven't graduated. From your words, you are a person who loves Tim. I complain, what can you do? I said you, what can you do?

wait....i am confused. who is Tim?

• FrankZFrankZ Veteran
    edited May 2022

This is Tim.

• pddpdd Member
    edited May 2022

@VirMach said:

Hi,VirMach,Is this an immediate migration? Are these locations new ryzen nodes?

• CheneryChenery Member

Is it an hidden Gifts? I have migrated Black Friday Special to ryzen nodes in San Jose. I was pleasantly surprised.

• pddpdd Member

@Chenery said:
    Is it an hidden Gifts? I have migrated Black Friday Special to ryzen nodes in San Jose. I was pleasantly surprised.

Congratulations, man!So which location did you move from?

• @Chenery said:

is it activated and online?

• @VirMach said: Fixed a bug with anti-abuse script which was causing some of the overloading/abuse problems by not catching them correctly on some Ryzen nodes.

The script for auto migration also has a bug.After auto migration, the traffic will be *1024.Also it seems that some nodes will have no hard drives.

I didn't click Ryzen Migrate because I wanted to wait to migrate to Japan.Now I am afraid to click on Ryzen Migrate after finding out that others clicked on the migration issue.

Please check the issue.

If possible, I would like to know if the option to migrate to Japan will be added?

• tonyairicontonyairicon Member
    edited May 2022

@VirMach said:
    Fixed a bug with anti-abuse script which was causing some of the overloading/abuse problems by not catching them correctly on some Ryzen nodes.

I did the migration and then the bandwidth seems to be having issues, 15000MB became 15000TB! As much as I would love to have that much bandwidth, it's probably really a bug.

Description My migration payment ticket is Ticket #548489, you can check the bug according to this

Bandwidth 0 B of 15000 TB Used / 15000 TB Free

• KensouKensou Member
    edited May 2022

@VirMach More than 20 days ago, I chose to migrate vps to Japan without data (ryzen migrate). But only one ip was added, no other changes. is this normal? Do I just have to keep waiting for the migration to complete? If it is not normal, is it possible to re-select the migration destination?

• angstromangstrom Moderator

@AlwaysSkint said:
    I go away to hospital for three days, getting a heart attack fixed (true story) and still the same crap here. :|

Sorry to hear this. I hope that you feel better soon

Thanked by 3AlwaysSkint randomq bdl
  • AlwaysSkintAlwaysSkint Member
    edited May 2022

Still trying to catch up, so please excuse out of context..

same crap here

Was directed at moaning etc. not in the slightest at @Virmach .
    (I may have entered his || dimension - 2 to 4 hours sleep at a time!)

In the words of the brilliant The Clash, I'm so pilled up that I rattle.
    Thanks for the wishes fellas!

• @VirMach said: Don't make fun of me if I did something stupid..

No way, man; this is "right up my street". :)
    We'll make an engineer outta ya, yet! :p

• angstromangstrom Moderator

@AlwaysSkint said:
    Still trying to catch up, so please excuse out of context..

same crap here

Was directed at moaning etc. not in the slightest at @Virmach .
    (I may have entered his || dimension - 2 to 4 hours sleep at a time!)

In the words of the brilliant The Clash, I'm so pilled up that I rattle.
    Thanks for the wishes fellas!

I think that I thought that you were younger than you are ;)

• AlwaysSkintAlwaysSkint Member
    edited May 2022

Mind of a teenager (sometimes, on a good day), body of a geriatric. ;)
    Damn good yoof-full (sic) looking though - I wish!
    [Edit] Speaking of which, during stent op. they played Kings Of Leon for me: "Sex On Fire" - I wish (x2)!

Back on topic: now where's that Invoice #, for that very kind man?.. Off for a virtual dig around.

Thanked by 2angstrom FrankZ
  • vhhjkglvhhjkgl Member

I receive a email about migration special, but not button appear.Please check billing #1253755 and to correct.Thanks

• @VirMach said: ..some kind of power tool..

Oh, oh, here comes the Dremel ( other tools are available at your nearest hardware store ) Methinks, somone may have had a modded Xbox 360 at some point. ;)

• RecDRecD Member

So many bugs these days.
    I will wait quietly for the stable one.

This discussion has been closed.