Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Does pay as you go Cloud Storage exist?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Does pay as you go Cloud Storage exist?

DeadlyChemistDeadlyChemist Member
edited December 2021 in General

Okay, strange one

I have a cinema camera which makes pretty big files (about 100mb/s)
sometimes I'm across town or country or Europe.

Does a service (German server) exist where I can just dump terabyte or two of footage from a fast snappy hotel Wifi overnight or two, go back home, redownload the stuff over the coming days or months (finally deleting it off cloud) and pay just for days I used it times the amount of data?
I don't need a 2tb plan to idle 90% of a year

I need 2TB for few weeks per year

or is buying more SSD's my "solution"? sometimes I'd like it as backup anyways on cloud (theft, bad luck, shitty handling and bitchy customs)

does something like this exist?

Sidenote:
web says with 100mb upload (easily doable at a hotel) it should take 24h for 1tb, this is acceptable as in let's say 8h I sleep I can dump 300gb+ which is pretty good to backup the "important stuff" or just free 300gigs from my camera that's like an hour of recording

Comments

• Personally id just go with an ssd/usb drive backup. Some hotels internet may be fine but it's not something I'd Personally rely on.

Thanked by 1Logano
  • @DeadlyChemist said: Does a service (German server)

I would go with something like Hetzner Storage boxes
    https://www.hetzner.com/storage/storage-box

• @james50a said:
    Personally id just go with an ssd/usb drive backup. Some hotels internet may be fine but it's not something I'd Personally rely on.

true, but again, sometimes i want offsite backup... i know i can fit some videos on my phone (they are unreadable) but by "some" i mean like few mins top

@TerokNor said:

@DeadlyChemist said: Does a service (German server)

I would go with something like Hetzner Storage boxes
    https://www.hetzner.com/storage/storage-box

sadly it's monthly and not like daily... i considered that but then i have a flat 3.45€ fee per month and sometimes like 10€ if i wanna upgrade

• @DeadlyChemist said: sadly it's monthly and not like daily... i considered that but then i have a flat 3.45€ fee per month and sometimes like 10€ if i wanna upgrade

I guess you can use the 2TB plan for as long as you need it, and then downgrade to BX10 and cancel it before the end of the month. It's not exactly pay as you go, indeed, but it's an idea.

• Thanked by 1pbx
  • aws s3 charges based on time stored, not entire month at time.

DON'T use wasabi for this. they charge you 3 months no matter what.

• S3 is ideal, but pricey. Backblaze B2 is probably a better solution https://www.backblaze.com/b2/cloud-storage.html

• ericlsericls Member, Patron Provider

B2 might be a viable option for OP, or maybe it's time to invest in a home NAS?

• will try... their website is complicated asf tho

@Jio said:
    aws s3 charges based on time stored, not entire month at time.

DON'T use wasabi for this. they charge you 3 months no matter what.

this sounds very good, would have to try

• DeadlyChemistDeadlyChemist Member
    edited December 2021

@ericls said:
    B2 might be a viable option for OP, or maybe it's time to invest in a home NAS?

my download is like 100, but upload is 30

EDIT:
    working on it ! need a gpu and unraid license and a case... and drives ofc

but yeah, this would be just storage... my speed is too slow

• @DeadlyChemist said:

their website is complicated asf tho

I don't agree, but their panel is very nice and clean.

• painfreepcpainfreepc Member
    edited December 2021

here's an out of the box ideal, use "Syncthing" or something like it, put 2TB HD in house,
    set up a simple server like "Abyss Web Server" simple .exe instal, it's free,
    now you have files on home server drive and you have option to access on the web.

but you will need good download speed on home internet,
    and if worried about hackers, if you can access home router remotely just turn off server public facing port when not using the server.

Abyss Web Server runs on my pc 24/7 uses almost no resources.

• @DeadlyChemist said: my download is like 100, but upload is 30

@painfreepc

• @james50a said:
    Personally id just go with an ssd/usb drive backup. Some hotels internet may be fine but it's not something I'd Personally rely on.

Yeah I'd trust the SSD's reliability over any hotel internet's reliability. I guess you can do both for redundancy? That way if it turns out your $300/night hotel struggles to give you 30Mbps, you don't get a stroke.

• bdlbdl Member

Hostsolutions mastered the "pay and it's gone" product

Thanked by 3steny Logano tux
  • SplitIceSplitIce Member, Host Rep

At the 1 month level you may want to consider cheap S3 providers. Typically they cost around $5 for 500Gb per month and include redundancy.

• 12 euro per month Hetnzer storage box is probably the least bad option.
    High upload (and download) speeds will help.

You can cancel the service when you aren't using it, or just downgrade it to the lowest tier.

Technically, you could order the service and cancel it within 30 days - I think they offer money-back for that. But if you do that a few times, it could be regarded as abuse (it is just that in that case, isn't it?).

This is also a good option - quite fast and reliable:
    https://www.westerndigital.com/en-gb/products/external-drives/wd-my-book-usb-3-0-hdd#WDBBGB0080HBK-EESN

I'm using the 8TB version and haven't had problems for well over a year now. It won't replace a +1 cloud copy, but it's a good option for the extra backup copy in addition to the cloud.

• Usenet Unlimited Storage for free.

• @Logano said: Yeah I'd trust the SSD's reliability over any hotel internet's reliability. I guess you can do both for redundancy? That way if it turns out your $300/night hotel struggles to give you 30Mbps, you don't get a stroke.

yeah im fucked in every hotel either way, either by price, myself or the internet connection

bit chunkyyy also if im gonnaa carry something it's gonna be an ssd because that way i can record directly

@TeoM said: Usenet Unlimited Storage for free.

will check it out in a bit...

Thanked by 1Logano
  • Yeah I think you're pretty limited on what you can do honestly. Most affordable and reasonable answer is just carrying an SSD with you.

What might be another option is having a backup 4G/5G device for additional bandwidth to transfer your files off-site (make sure to validate the integrity of your data after you finished transferring it), I've had colleagues whose datasets passed MD5 but got messed up while uploading via WiFi. Depending on your location/country you'll be in different data markets (I know this makes a lot more sense $$$ wise in Europe).

• @HalfEatenPie said: Yeah I think you're pretty limited on what you can do honestly. Most affordable and reasonable answer is just carrying an SSD with you.

What might be another option is having a backup 4G/5G device for additional bandwidth to transfer your files off-site (make sure to validate the integrity of your data after you finished transferring it), I've had colleagues whose datasets passed MD5 but got messed up while uploading via WiFi. Depending on your location/country you'll be in different data markets (I know this makes a lot more sense $$$ wise in Europe).

yeah but i can't upload 300gb-1000gb on 4g/5g
    yeah i think buying more ssd's is the way, maybe even tiny m.2 ones with adapter to carry less size...

Thanked by 1Logano
  • @DeadlyChemist said: yeah but i can't upload 300gb-1000gb on 4g/5g

yeah i think buying more ssd's is the way, maybe even tiny m.2 ones with adapter to carry less size...

Haha well you were just talking about uploading 300gb-1000gb on Hotel Wifi at 30 Mbit. I know there are some cell phone providers in Europe who are able to accommodate that (There are some unlimited sim providers who realistically have a limit of 300 GB/month), but my suggestion was maybe breaking your files down to more manageable pieces and using the various methods to do it.

The Sandisk extreme pro SSDs (something like this: https://www.westerndigital.com/products/portable-drives/sandisk-extreme-pro-usb-3-2-ssd#SDSSDE81-1T00-G25 ) works fairly well and is quite small. I'd highly recommend it.

• Keep in mind, if your goal is to copy it to m2s, you do run the risk of drive failures and/or lost drives. Make sure the videos are worth risking to recapture or create a second not-on-your-person and not-with-you redundancy

• @KermEd said: Keep in mind, if your goal is to copy it to m2s, you do run the risk of drive failures and/or lost drives. Make sure the videos are worth risking to recapture or create a second not-on-your-person and not-with-you redundancy

yeah the stuff is SUPER HIGH QUALITY hobby
    bad if lost but not a catastrophy
    at home i just render most of my videos to my liking and store that, i rarely keep the RAW video, unless it's something i can't replace (living things, rare phenomenon, etc)

• Gandi IAAS? Scaleway? all feature hourly billing and flexible (growing...) storage space

• Well 1tb microsd is small enough to carry..

• yes aws s3

• Maybe https://www.infomaniak.com/en/hosting/public-cloud/prices ? 0.000013 € / hour

Don't have any real experience with them (other than their free email service), but the storage prices look extremely tempting.

Thanked by 1Logano