Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How to compare processors from different VPS providers?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How to compare processors from different VPS providers?

vtwvtw Member
edited January 2012 in General

When comparing VPS plans from different providers, I can compare RAM, virtualization technology, uplink, network speed, I/O, but I'm quite lost when it comes to processors.

With some of my sub-questions, answering one of them answers many.

1. I know of cat /proc/cpuinfo. This is the specs of the physical server, correct? This doesn't really tell me anything about what share of the CPU I will get, right?

2. Well on http://www.web-wide-hosting.co.nz/VPSBilling/cart.php there is a plan where the CPU is 100 MHz. Is this the specs of the "virtual CPU"?

3. For the same order of price and similar B/W etc, this plan http://www.burst.net/linvps.shtml has "1000 MHz Guaranteed". Does "guaranteed" mean I'm merely getting a fair share? (And is this the same as I'm getting with BuyVM?) Does that mean that the 100 MHz is quite an inferior deal?

4. http://virpus.com/budget-vps/ has a "6-8 cores equally shared" description of CPU. What does this mean?

5. Most VPS providers don't describe much about the CPU. Is this because they can't make all VPSs equal, or that they can't offer guarantees, they can't measure, or they want to provide less information so people have to try them to find out?

6. So is there any good way to compile and compare these different aspects? What would you always ask a potential provider first?

Thanked by 1drmike

Comments

• Very complex stuff.

1. Yes, the physical server, but still gives you one idea of the max you can get.
    2. Yes, you will get that "virtual cpu", your /proc/cpuinfo will say that
    3. Guaranteed (in theory), means that you will get 1000Mhz of CPU (you will see a /proc/cpuinfo with that info). Is a little bit stupid measure the power like this, in Mhz, so, the real thing is, let's suppose that the physical processor runs at 2000Mhz, then you will get 50% of CPU time ("1000 Mhz").
    4. That mean you will see the 6-8 cores of the physical server, and every neighbor will see it, then if the CPU is idle/sleeping because nobody is doing heavy tasks, you will be able to use all the power.
    5. I think several reasons
      First, the common people doesn't care too much about the tech stuff.
      Another, a combination of several of them: you will hear more attractive an "8 cores shared" versus an offer with "guaranteed 3ghz". Also, if everybody gets 3Ghz, how much customers can you allocate in the server under this conditions? Better to put more customers and offer shared resources.

6. Benchmarks. For my usage the CPU is the most important part (gameservers). Some people like to use UnixBench (I hate it), I love Geekbench (preferibly the version 2.1 in lowendboxes or openvz boxes with less than 512MB). Google all these stuff.
      Or you can create your own test, for example I loved this one with perl http://www.lowendbox.com/blog/joes-datacenter-6-512mb-openvz-vps-in-kansas-city/#comment-58812 I think this is the only way, after you get the box, because as you said, almost nobody will share you these results.

Thanked by 1vtw
  • vtwvtw Member

Thanks for these answers.
    How do I get Geekbench 2.1 specifically? (Or whatever one that can work with 128 MB RAM)

• TigersWayTigersWay Member
    edited January 2012

@yomero said: Go to this comment

http://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/3004#Comment_3004

Because the last one: 2.2.6 is still not working, or maybe simply not always working

• BuyVM 512: 512 MB detected, and all tests ok
    • Hostigation 512: 15.6 GB detected, and memory tests stopped with "Segmentation fault"
  • @TigersWay Both OpenVZ? If so, it's because BuyVM is using the 2.6.32.xx kernel on some nodes with proper usage based memory limits instead of allocation based limits.

• @dmmcintyre3: yes, both OpenVZ, both with 2.6.32 kernel, and both exactly the same lemp stack....

And for the same idea (I guess), free gives me

• BuyVM
                 total       used       free     shared    buffers     cached
    Mem:           512         42        469          0          0         21
    -/+ buffers/cache:         20        491
    Swap:            0          0          0

• Hostigation
                 total       used       free     shared    buffers     cached
    Mem:           512         76        435          0          0          0
    -/+ buffers/cache:         76        435
    Swap:            0          0          0

• yomeroyomero Member