Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples of Scam VPS Companies That Were Around Longer than A Year and a Half
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Examples of Scam VPS Companies That Were Around Longer than A Year and a Half

Are there any examples of any "scam" VPS or hosting companies that were around longer than a year and a half?

For the purposes of this post, a scam company is one which doesn't at least look like they are providing the service that was paid for, so the slow / downtime prone etc. "bad" providers don't count.

If they were a company run by someone and then taken over by someone else who took the money and ran, then they do still count as being around for longer than a year and a half.

The inspiration for this post is Serverhand, who only (properly) debuted on Black Friday and were revealed as less than kosher within a month.

I can't think of any, can you?

Comments

• WSSWSS Member
    edited December 2017

HungryVM comes to mind- the moment they were banned from LET, everything went down and at the beginning of the month, the primary website was also gone. It's a shame, because I thought they'd be around longer than three months.

The rest I can think of fall under your "bad" clause.

E: Also anything Josh Prout. He pretends to sell/colo/etc hardware, and it works until his bill comes due, and your hardware/etc are missing.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

Generally the scam brands last long enough to get outside of the chargeback periods and then they're gone.

Francisco

• uniwebhosting memories hurt... they seem to still do their scam with the dedicateds :(

Thanked by 1WHT
  • jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited December 2017

FortaTrust / FortaCloud had a hell of a run.

Hell, serverpronto seems to still be online.

• What was that provider that ditched a DC in the middle of a night? Was quite a big one too, and should still be around.

• volumedrive?

Thanked by 1Francisco
  • That's the one.

• @jarland said:
    FortaTrust / FortaCloud had a hell of a run.

Hell, serverpronto seems to still be online.

I remember getting like five collections notices because their 'free' server wasn't paid for :P

• FrankZFrankZ Veteran
    edited December 2017
    1. EZServers - Elixant-Tech was around for a year+. Disappeared shortly after renewals paid, kept the $$$.

2. vps-hosting.ca has been around for years, but they are a scam.

3. OneBestHost was sold to Xfuse Duke then went tits up.

4. MyServerPlant been around since at least 2014, but rips people off.

5. GoodHosting.co - this was a scam and a hoot. The owner is a ghost.

EDIT: and how could I forget all the fun of greenvaluehost.com

• AmitzAmitz Member
    edited December 2017

What did not go tits up after being touched by xFuse Duke? I still remember his press conference out of his car. Hilarious.

Thanked by 2FrankZ vimalware
  • I doubt many were scams from the beginning, but several did runners when their plans didn't work out. Anyone know what happened with Kiloserve? They were considered good for a while.

• TacticalVPS. Mystery up until now.