Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

TerraHost shutdown of Kansas City Location on June 15th, 2024
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

TerraHost shutdown of Kansas City Location on June 15th, 2024

RealChaikaRealChaika Member
edited May 21 in General

Just got this email, rip Kansas location. I got the birthday deal a while back

Hello,

We have created a support case on your behalf.

Subject: Action Required: Decommissioning of Kansas City Location [VPS]
Dear valued customer,

It is with our deepest regret that we are informing you that we are in the process of closing down our services in Kansas City, USA.

Why?
Terrahost AS, is a Norwegian company with roots back to 2006. Within the last 18 years, many concepts have been tried out with multiple data centers in Norway, a data center in Amsterdam, but also with presence in Nigeria and USA. We have learnt a lot during this process, and one thing that we have realized is that unfortunately it’s difficult for us to serve different parts of the world as a small company. In Norway and in the Netherlands we can be of physical presence ourselves and rely less on remote hands service for everything that needs physical interaction. There is also a limitation in expandability for us in the US as well since we’re not able to get more transit capacity. Due to this we want to shift our focus to solely provide colocation, virtual machines, dedicated servers and a top tier network with higher resiliency and better products to customers all over the world, from our Europe locations only.

How?
We understand that the geographical position of services you host with us will be a factor when choosing a hosting provider with regards to response times and time zones. We will give you the opportunity to move your services to one of our Norway data centers or our Amsterdam data center keeping the same price and terms. We have several options to help you migrate your data simply by transferring your VM and data to the new location, or you can get a new VM to do the migration yourself. This will be done with no extra cost for you. Unfortunately we are not able to transfer your IP to the new location, so a new IP will be assigned. We would recommend a move to Amsterdam as it has great connectivity to Europe and our lowest response times to the US.

Options for migration:
Full backup-restore migration. All data is preserved, but there will be some hours of downtime while the process is ongoing. This option is available if you want to move to Norway or Amsterdam.
Instant migration. Data from the last 6-24 might be lost, but this can be done with less downtime, typically less than one hour. This option is only available if you want to move to Amsterdam.
Self migration. You will get a new similar VM, free of charge for 14 days, at one of our Europe locations of your choice. You can then utilize that 14-day window to do your migration manually .

When?
If you would like to continue to stay with us, we would like to know your preferred migration method and location of your new VM to be hosted as soon as possible so we can start to plan the migration process. Please respond to this ticket with your choices for migration and we will get back to you.
If you don’t want to consider one of our Europe locations, you should start looking for another provider now. All VMs in the US will be terminated from June 15th, 2024.

We are looking forward to your immediate response.

We are sorry for the inconvenience this may cause you, but rest assured we do this to serve our customers better than we have been able to and to develop better services for the future.

To reply, please log into ENIGMA.

Thank you for using Terrahost.

Kind regards,
Terrahost Team

Comments

• _MS__MS_ Member
    edited May 21

• dosaidosai Member

Thanked by 1ehab
  • LeviLevi Member
    edited May 21

I like how they pretend to be small company but still spill out corpo bullshit in the email.

• deadpool imminent?

• Gemini
    Terrahost, a Norwegian hosting company, is shutting down its Kansas City data center and focusing on its European locations. Customers are offered three options to migrate their virtual machines (VMs) to Norway or Amsterdam by June 15th, 2024:

1. Full backup-restore migration (Norway or Amsterdam): All data is preserved, but there will be several hours of downtime.
    2. Instant migration (Amsterdam only): Data from the last 6-24 hours might be lost, but downtime is typically less than one hour.
    3. Self-migration (Norway or Amsterdam): A free VM for 14 days is provided to manually migrate data.

Customers who don't want to move to Europe need to find a new provider before June 15th, 2024.

• defaultdefault Veteran

• brueggusbrueggus Member, IPv6 Advocate

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

@fluffernutter said:
    deadpool imminent?

The end is nigh.

• cybertechcybertech Member

@Levi said:
    I like how they pretend to be small company but still spill out corpo bullshit in the email.

i concur

• KrisKris Member

Ah Nigeria. Like Jo'burg, great presence for hoarding IPs. I mean... a presence in South Africa that just happens not to work out and you just happen to keep those IPs from AFRINIC.

• vpn2024vpn2024 Member
    edited May 22

Summer host checklist...

✔️ Less than 30 days notice.
    ✔️ Bullshit (To quote - There is also a limitation in expandability for us in the US as well since we’re not able to get more transit capacity.). OMG transit is sold out!!!
    ✔️ No IP transfer

• JasonMJasonM Member

that's an EPIK move!
    sooner or later that was going to happen when TerraHost was acquired by Epik (that was the red flag as users discussed in other threads)

BTW, their order form for Kansas location still works as of today (https://terrahost.com/configuration/4670). I would have initially removed Kansas webpages and then sent out an email to my customers!

• jahrincjahrinc Member

@JasonM said: BTW, their order form for Kansas location still works as of today (https://terrahost.com/configuration/4670). I would have initially removed Kansas webpages and then sent out an email to my customers!

Shows out of stock here