Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

CloudV to change IP addresses over Christmas
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

CloudV to change IP addresses over Christmas

In what appears to be the stupidest possible timing, I received this e-mail from @CloudV today:

Hello ---,

You are receiving this email as you have an active KVM service with Cloud Five Limited.

This is to make you aware of a scheduled IP address switch for your service Helium Compute VM as we are moving away from OVHcloud upstream. The change should complete in next 48 - 72 hours.

Please find the new IP from control panel, Link to your service account login - Client Portal | Cloud Five Limited

You may create a support ticket in case of any queries/custom requests.

Thanks for your support,
Cloud Five Limited

The next 48-72 hours would be Christmas Day, Boxing Day, or the substitute holiday, when almost everybody in the country is on holiday, and this e-mail was sent on Saturday morning, which seems to have been chosen as the time that guarantees that most people will miss it.

Anyway, I checked the control panel - there's no information yet about what my IP address will be, so I can't even pre-emptively change this IP address before the break.

I wonder how long he's been planning this, as it's not like the OVH price rises for IP addresses is recent news, and why he chose to do this over Christmas with such short notice.

Comments

• Wow.. really not good timing

• SamidareSamidare Member
    edited December 2022

Changing upstream 1 month after most people renewed an annual plan...
    What is the next upstream?

• @Samidare said:

Haha, they've not even been around that long! Their first offer was only 7 months ago.

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

Well, no wonder, OVH hiked the IPv4 prices.

• SamidareSamidare Member
    edited December 2022

@ralf said: Haha, they've not even been around that long! Their first offer was only 7 months ago.

They are also changing IPs of a 2021 BF deal.

This one https://lowendtalk.com/discussion/175462

• ralfralf Member
    edited December 2022

@Samidare said:

@ralf said: Haha, they've not even been around that long! Their first offer was only 7 months ago.

They are also changing IPs of a 2021 BF deal.

This one https://lowendtalk.com/discussion/175462

Oooooooh, interesting. I'd not seen that BF announcement. I thought he'd tried to claim that they were totally separate people and companies.

EDIT: here's the comment: https://lowendspirit.com/discussion/comment/85059#Comment_85059

• @Samidare said:
    What is the next upstream?

Welcome to webhorizon, that's how HE roles =))

• mgcAnamgcAna Member, Host Rep

Probably they finally found some good deals on IPs.

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

@ralf said:
    Anyway, I checked the control panel - there's no information yet about what my IP address will be, so I can't even pre-emptively change this IP address before the break.

Assuming DHCP works, you can install DDNS updater or cloudflared.
    Both will take care of this and future IP changes transparently.

The next 48-72 hours would be Christmas Day, Boxing Day, or the substitute holiday, when almost everybody in the country is on holiday, and this e-mail was sent on Saturday morning, which seems to have been chosen as the time that guarantees that most people will miss it.

There's no holiday for IT support.
    You are supposed to work 24x7x366.

Thanked by 1Dazzle

@yoursunny said:
    There's no holiday for IT support.
    You are supposed to work 24x7x366.

366 ?
    Every year is leap year ?

Thanked by 1yoursunny
  • Fran thinks it's a good idea to change BuyShared IP on Jan 1 too. Not Christmas but most businesses don't open until 3rd Jan

Thanked by 1Erisa
  • @yoursunny said:

@ralf said:

Running DHCP client on a server has been bad practice since the time of servers. For several reasons.

• @ralf said:
    In what appears to be the stupidest possible timing, I received this e-mail from @CloudV today:

Hello ---,

You are receiving this email as you have an active KVM service with Cloud Five Limited.

This is to make you aware of a scheduled IP address switch for your service Helium Compute VM as we are moving away from OVHcloud upstream. The change should complete in next 48 - 72 hours.

Please find the new IP from control panel, Link to your service account login - Client Portal | Cloud Five Limited

You may create a support ticket in case of any queries/custom requests.

Thanks for your support,
    Cloud Five Limited

I wonder how long he's been planning this, as it's not like the OVH price rises for IP addresses is recent news, and why he chose to do this over Christmas with such short notice.

When faced with incompetence or malice, it's a sign to move away to avoid future fuckery.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@Harmony said:
    Fran thinks it's a good idea to change BuyShared IP on Jan 1 too. Not Christmas but most businesses don't open until 3rd Jan

Except the part where we have been sending notice since October I think?

If you can’t make the effort to talk to use about swapping within 3 months, that’s on you.

Francisco

Thanked by 2TimboJones sebkehl
    edited December 2022

@TimboJones said:

@yoursunny said:

@ralf said:

Running DHCP client on a server has been bad practice since the time of servers. For several reasons.

Both SolusVM and Virtualizor offer a DHCP server.
    I keep DHCP client enabled, so that if the provider changes my IPv4, my server automatically picks it up and would not continue using the old IPv4 that now belongs to someone else.

VirmAche has changed IPv4 assignments twice this year.
    After each change, there are people crying about "stolen IP" or "SSH public key keeps changing".
    This is caused by the previous user of this IPv4 has configured it statically, so their server would not relinquish the IP.
    VirmAche would then regard them as "abuse" and power off offending servers, but only after a lengthy delay.

By keeping DHCP enabled, I not only prevent myself from being IP thief, but also make it easier for location migrations.
    After a migration to another location, I can SSH into the new IPv4 without relying on VNC and possibly forgotten password.

I don't enable DHCPv6 though.
    It doesn't give the intended effect at most places.

However, I don't have DDNS updater in any VPS, because IPv4 renumbering isn't frequent enough to need DDNS.
    My distributed system can absorb the downtime.

@yoursunny said:

However, I don't have DDNS updater in any VPS, because IPv4 renumbering isn't frequent enough to need DDNS.

What kind of network you run, is it some big app server or infra ?

@mgcAna said:

@yoursunny said:

My push-ups delivery network is fully distributed.
    It's used for push-ups streaming and more.
    I think it can survive losing any two nodes, except I cannot lose both content repository nodes.

@yoursunny said:

@mgcAna said:

@yoursunny said:

I think it can survive losing any two nodes, except I cannot lose both content repository nodes.

And you get paid for it ?

@mgcAna said:

@yoursunny said:

@mgcAna said:

@yoursunny said:

And you get paid for it ?

Yes, you can see payments from @GetParanoid and @Andrey11 on the streaming site.

• JamesFJamesF Member, Host Rep

I personally would say it’s the best time to do it when people tend not to be online as much.

edited December 2022

Ah, this is all hobby. Definitely you work on something else for actual earnings.
    But you got me there for once.

• Scheduled ip change so every year new IP. What a crap company

• @yoursunny said:

@mgcAna said:

@yoursunny said:

My life is hosted on this system. High availability cluster consisting of 2 nodes. You even manage that my data is available when both nodes are down.

• I've got 156 days of reliable idling on my cloud v node

• @TeoM said:

@yoursunny said:

@mgcAna said:

@yoursunny said:

My life is hosted on this system. High availability cluster consisting of 2 nodes. You even manage that my data is available when both nodes are down.

Your life is just pushups?

• @TimboJones said:
    Your life is just pushups?

sometimes walking and squatting)

Thanked by 1yoursunny
  • @TimboJones said: Your life is just pushups?

yep! hapy new year push-up's

https://youtu.be/DcukITfXVbE

Thanked by 2kheng86 yoursunny
  • ralfralf Member
    edited January 2023

In a further display of incompetence / listening to customer feedback, shortly after I created this thread, there was a follow up email saying that it'd happen on New Year's Eve instead. It's now the 2nd of January, and it still hasn't. So, I've got literally no idea when my IP will change now...

• @ralf said:
    In a further display of incompetence / listening to customer feedback, shortly after I created this thread, there was a follow up email saying that it'd happen on New Year's Eve instead. It's now the 2nd of January, and it still hasn't. So, I've got literally no idea when my IP will change now...

Email 3: we meant New Years Eve 2023.

• Haha, the old IPs have stopped working over 6 hours ago, but there's no new IP address in the control panel even after power cycling the VPS from the control panel.

I guess not giving you an IP address at all is one way of saving costs! :D