Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with OpenID
Advertise on LowEndTalk.com

In this Discussion

Sizing for storage VPS?

Sizing for storage VPS?

DamianDamian Member
edited October 2012 in General

So i'm at a loss for what kind of plans or levels to offer for storage/backup VPSes? I see that from http://serverbear.com/compare/vps/storage 100gb is a 'standard' size, but do you need that much space?

Would you prefer to pay less for a smaller amount of storage?

Or do you need more than 100gb?

What's your ideal pricing?

I am no longer affiliated with IPXcore.

Comments

• Well, atleast 1TB, of course LEB pricing.

• @damian good question. From casual convos with friends/colleagues in the past I get the feeling there are 3 general buckets of users when it comes to storage (and of course exceptions). 50GB, 250GB and 1TB. I don't have any scientific evidence for this but it seems these jumps reflect usage patterns such as "family photos and a few movies" then "doing more videos"...and finally "dumping ground for a bunch of stuff (photos, movies and system backups etc). Again, not formal, just an observation

"Go cheap on rarely used things"

• @damian I thought you didnt sell vpses anymore?

I use http://tuxlite.com to configure all my VPSes and I love it!

• @djvdorp wait he doesn't sell vps anymore? Where is the thread?

__BitAccel__ - OpenVZ VPS / TUN, PPP 24/7 Support!
  • @Corey said: @djvdorp wait he doesn't sell vps anymore? Where is the thread?

might have to search a while here, but Damian left IPXcore a while ago. Adam is now left there IIRC.

• @Corey said: Where is the thread?

There wasn't one. I left IPXcore in @phxadam's hands to move on with other projects, but he asked me back, and so here I am.

• @Damian said: There wasn't one. I left IPXcore in @phxadam's hands to move on with other projects, but he asked me back, and so here I am.

Cool, didnt know you were back :)

• @Damian so you are with IPXcore again?

• ^^^ - Yes, this??

• Its true, @Damian is back and are thinking about offering disk at $0.05 per GB.

IPXcore fast virtual servers located in United States.

• @phxadam said: Its true, @Damian is back and are thinking about offering disk at $0.05 per GB.

Yes please

• @Damian

Didn't realise you were back. Good luck! :D

• @phxadam said: Its true, @Damian is back and are thinking about offering disk at $0.05 per GB.

Nice. I hope its raid protected

• @Asim said: I hope its raid protected

Yes, hardware RAID 10 on LSI 9260 or 9265, depending on what server you get put on.

• Depending on the location, I will get some space of that, once you roll it out.

• @Alex_LiquidHost said: Depending on the location, I will get some space of that, once you roll it out.

It will be in Buffalo, New York.

• @Damian said: It will be in Buffalo, New York.

Fair enough.

• @Damian how many datacenters ColoCrossing has on NY? They only list one on the website.

• @juan_144 said: how many datacenters ColoCrossing has on NY? They only list one on the website.

They have two (New York City & Buffalo)

ChicagoVPS.net - OpenVZ/KVM Based VPS's / SSD Cached & Pure SSD Plans / Great Support! / 6 Geographically Diverse Locations
    Thanked by 1juan_144
  • What in the world. Looks like Buffalo now is joining ranks of Kansas City and handful of other low cost hub hosting cities :)

Everyone is loving Colocrossing Buffalo :) Best secret US East location :) 11ms to NYC :) Now if I can get my home provider to have better routing in that direction it would be gold.

As far as storage VPS offers go, have to think about what you want these used for. Are they purely just for storage? Then cut back the RAM (i.e. 64mb with 64mb burst). If intending to be a disk beefy usable VPS then sell it with RAM that scales with the disk.

I'd offer a slew of different sizes: 25GB 50GB 100GB 250GB 500GB 1TB

I am interested in 250GB and above offers.

• Oh yeah and I should mention, I am not interested in RAID, backups, etc. from a provider. Just raw space :)

• rds100rds100 Member
    edited October 2012

@pubcrawler then get a bunch of Kimsufi boxes and be done with it.

• I am indifferent about kimsufi offers. A tad of a hassle for us in the US. Language, money transfer rates, VAT or documents to waive VAT, etc.

Rather deal with group of different providers distributed around the globe cutting me slices of a bigger server pie :)

• RurikoRuriko Member
    edited October 2012

I would prefer 500gb+ at a cheap price mainly to host images :) I only know buyvm offers the cheapest storage vps with decent performance

• I'd recommend offering both RAID-redundant and non-RAID-redundant storage space - I'd imagine I'm not the only one that has his own redundancy solution set up :)

If you were to offer non-RAID-redundant storage for cheaper, I'd definitely be interested as there aren't really any places offering this.

Kimsufi etc. aren't necessarily an option, because one provider != proper redundancy, and other providers elsewhere don't really seem able to match Kimsufi pricing.

Appreciate my posts/software/guides? Donate (PayPal/Flattr/Bitcoin): http://cryto.net/~joepie91/donate.html | irc.freenode.net #lowendbox

Thanked by 1pubcrawler
  • @joepie91 said: If you were to offer non-RAID-redundant storage for cheaper, I'd definitely be interested as there aren't really any places offering this.

Would anyone else be interested in this too?

Thanked by 2pubcrawler joepie91
  • Sorry to hijack briefly @Damian, just @joepie91's suggestion of non-RAID-redundant storage is something I'm currently looking into.

What kind of prices would people be interested in for 500GB of storage? Would prices around $15/month sell?

VPN.sh - Secure and affordable VPN services

• $15 a month for 500GB?

Yeah that will sell. Ask BuyVM. Permanently out of stock.

• @pubcrawler said: $15 a month for 500GB?

Yeah that will sell. Ask BuyVM. Permanently out of stock.

Difference being BuyVM's is RAID-protected.

• @pubcrawler said: $15 a month for 500GB? Yeah that will sell. Ask BuyVM. Permanently out of stock.

BuyVM's 500GB for $15 is on a RAID50 array though, not the non-RAID @liamwithers was speaking of.

• Oh doh!

So better drop that $15 price then :) BuyVM wins, just don't have stock.

• @pubcrawler said: So better drop that $15 price then :) BuyVM wins, just don't have stock.

Which is why I'm asking here. For non-RAID storage of 500GB, what would you consider to be reasonable pricing?

• $10 a month would be great. $15 would be acceptable obviously.

$15 price point might only exist with BuyVM.

One competitor perhaps at that price point.

• @liamwithers said: Which is why I'm asking here. For non-RAID storage of 500GB, what would you consider to be reasonable pricing?

I'd be more than okay with $8-$10/month for 500GB non-RAID. With the caveat that it should be possible to install custom software for utilizing said storage (like Tahoe-LAFS), so not just limited to rsync :P

Appreciate my posts/software/guides? Donate (PayPal/Flattr/Bitcoin): http://cryto.net/~joepie91/donate.html | irc.freenode.net #lowendbox

Thanked by 1pubcrawler
  • FUSE support would be excellent feature for any storage VPS. Unsure how widely FUSE is enabled by VPS providers.

• Personally, I prefer a plan with about 25-50GB storage, and of course a good network. Bandwidth need to be, umm, maybe more than 1T. And RAM could be dropped down, 48 or 64MB with about the same burst should be enough.

How many stars in your bowl? How many sorrows in your soul?
  • Non-RAID storage would lower the initial cost point a bit, since a $450 raid card wouldn't be needed. Could also start with one hard drive and add more as time went on, extending the array with LVM.

• @joepie91 said: I'd be more than okay with $8-$10/month for 500GB non-RAID. With the caveat that it should be possible to install custom software for utilizing said storage (like Tahoe-LAFS), so not just limited to rsync :P

Ditto - @damian - non-RAID and tahoe-lafs storage server software installed (heck, happy if you install it and provide that as a service as its non-sensitive)

I'd definitely buy.

"Go cheap on rarely used things"

• rds100rds100 Member
    edited October 2012

Well, normally you would want at least RAID1 for the volume where the node filesystem and the virtual private servers' root file systems live. Software RAID1 would be enough for this. Then you can add/mount second volumes to the VPSes, this time on HDDs without RAID.

• @rds100 said: Well, normally you would want at least RAID1 for the volume where the node filesystem and the virtual private servers' root file systems live. Software RAID1 would be enough for this. Then you can add/mount second volumes to the VPSes, this time on HDDs without RAID.

Yeah, that's what I was planning. Could get a cheapy BR10 raid card or something similar and put the HN filesystem on that, then link in storage from the LVM's mountpoint to everyone's VPS.

• I'm all over the non-RAID protected storage! Like some others, I only use it as a mirror for an already redundant solution I have setup.

Since it's used as an incremental backup mirror for me, I don't need gobs and gobs of bandwidth. A couple dozen GB per month will suit me fine after an initial push.

On the same same token, don't need super fast incoming data rates. I don't need to push the incremental backup fast. However, I do want reasonably fast outgoing data rates in the event I need to restore from it.

Signatures are to identify who I am. I'm me. Who the hell are you?

• @pubcrawler said: FUSE support would be excellent feature for any storage VPS. Unsure how widely FUSE is enabled by VPS providers.

As far as I know, it's even possible on OpenVZ by loading the appropriate kernel module. Then again, I have not ever done anything with this in practice, so I may very well be dead wrong :)

• DamianDamian Member
    edited October 2012

@rajprakash said: On the same same token, don't need super fast incoming data rates. I don't need to push the incremental backup fast. However, I do want reasonably fast outgoing data rates in the event I need to restore from it.

My original plan was going to be your-choice of either a specific allocated transfer amount per month, or unmetered incoming/10-mbit outgoing or something like that.

In the event of needing all your data (catastrophic system failure, you're leaving our service, etc), open a support ticket and we'll un-restrict your transfer speed/monthly allocation. We're not going to unnecessarily delay you restoring your data, and we're not going to hold it hostage either.

Keeping track of these requests in support tickets will allow us to determine if an individual is abusing this; if the user habitually needs their VPS un-restricted every week, we won't be able to support them further.

@joepie91 said: As far as I know, it's even possible on OpenVZ by loading the appropriate kernel module. Then again, I have not ever done anything with this in practice, so I may very well be dead wrong :)

FUSE is pretty simple, it's set up a lot like TUN/TAP: load a kernel module, set the container to be able to use it, and that's about it. The rest of the config is handled by the user in their container.

http://wiki.openvz.org/FUSE

• What chasis would you put all of these disks in? Some sort of 4u chasis and all 2.5" drives?

• You're missing another point about BuyVM storage plans.

They include windows and are KVM based so they're used fully as VM's, not just 'backups only'.

Our plans aren't perm out of stock. We have something like 150TB - 200TB worth of storage showing up in the coming few months.

We're just working out power and such.

Francisco

BuyVM - OpenVZ & KVM Based / TUN, PPTP, FUSE, SIT & GRE Enabled! / Stallion Control Panel
  • @pubcrawler said: I'd offer a slew of different sizes: 25GB 50GB 100GB 250GB 500GB 1TB

agreed. I would add 1.5TB and 2TB, if possible. the more choice you give people, the better, I think.

• @Corey said: What chasis would you put all of these disks in? Some sort of 4u chasis and all 2.5" drives?

I'd probably do a 6 or 8-drive 3.5" 2u chassis of some sort. An un-striped LVM volume will lose whatever data is on that specific drive when the drive dies, so i'd rather keep the number of eggs in a basket to a minimum.

• @Damian said: An un-striped LVM volume will lose whatever data is on that specific drive when the drive dies,

Not quite.

It'll lose hunks of the files that pass over the boundries.

If you're using KVM for people, you'll end up with fubar'd VM's on both edges, as well as the contents of the initial drive

Francisco

BuyVM - OpenVZ & KVM Based / TUN, PPTP, FUSE, SIT & GRE Enabled! / Stallion Control Panel