Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with OpenID
Advertise on LowEndTalk.com

In this Discussion

Very small dedicated server

Very small dedicated server

tinyraytinyray Member
edited August 2012 in General

Is there any dedicated server with 768MB of RAM, 20GB HD and 4 CPU cores?

Tagged:

Comments

• I would doubt that, it does not make sense from the point of view of power usage. If you find it is likely to cost same or even more than kimsufi. And 4 cpu with that memory, no way. M

Nobody here.

• A VPS will serve these requirements nicely, and is the point of a VPS.

I am no longer affiliated with IPXcore.
    Thanked by 1tinyray
  • JarJar Member

Probably but it'll cost you more than a vps with the same specs that performs better. Usually those dedicateds with low specs and low prices have really bad CPUs. There are exceptions though.

Thanked by 1tinyray
  • TazTaz Disabled

Raspberry pi!!!!!!!!!

Time is good and also bad. Life is short and that is sad. Dont worry be happy thats my style. No matter what happens i won't lose my smile!

• @tinyray said: 4 CPU cores?

• @yomero said: ?

Yup, just for demonstrations,

• I think I saw something on SilverKnight?

http://BornIn.Asia - FREE shared hosting and subdomain service for LET members! Click here to see how to get one yourself! 96Forum: Low End VPS Discussions. Selling domains with GApp with various user counts (10 year reg incl. for some), PM for details.

• Here you go

http://www.silverknighttech.com/specials/server-specials/

Current Specials! Cobalt RAQ 4 18 GB’s HD Space 256 MB’s RAM 10 Mbps Unmetered Connection 1 IP $19.95/Month !!

http://BornIn.Asia - FREE shared hosting and subdomain service for LET members! Click here to see how to get one yourself! 96Forum: Low End VPS Discussions. Selling domains with GApp with various user counts (10 year reg incl. for some), PM for details.

Thanked by 2tinyray klikli
  • or this Intel Pentium D 3.0GHz 250 GB HD Space 1 GB RAM 10 Mbps Unmetered Connection 1 IP CentOS $29.95/Month !!

• TazTaz Disabled
    edited August 2012

I can vouch for SilverKnight (previously known as rubyringtech). I used to have a half rack with them. Anthony (the owner) is a great guy!

Time is good and also bad. Life is short and that is sad. Dont worry be happy thats my style. No matter what happens i won't lose my smile!

Thanked by 1tinyray
  • Are those RAQs running Cobalt Linux still, or have they been flashed to be able to load standard Linux kernels?

I am no longer affiliated with IPXcore.
  • @tinyray said: Yup, just for demonstrations,

No, I was talking to the other guy.

And for you. The ram is cheap, and there aren't even 512 MB dimms anymore, so doesn't make sense actually to sell something like that, and even less sense with a Quad CPU, imho.

• The only heavy point of his specs was CPU power. Which VPS will let you use 4 cores like a dedi? I doubt any CPU-intensive stuff is welcome in a place that resource is shared. Also, the kimsufi deals, and similar posts in here have like the worst CPU possible (and not 4-core).

• TazTaz Disabled

@Damian got no idea, was with them about 6 year ago. God know what they are upto. Anthony and his partner splitup and Sknight was born. I was able to get tony on the phone couple of months ago.

• And for which modern CPU you can find 256/512 MB memory modules (to make it 768MB total) ? This is going to be some very ancient server, with 768MB of RAM.

• @zhuanyi said: Current Specials! Cobalt RAQ 4

Not running the Cobalt RAQ OS I hope....

Much better to splurge and get the Pentium D :)

• MaouniqueMaounique Member
    edited August 2012

@rds100 said: And for which modern CPU you can find 256/512 MB memory modules (to make it 768MB total) ? This is going to be some very ancient server, with 768MB of RAM.

That will in no way have 4 cores. Any kimsufi cpu will beat it. M

Nobody here.

• @yomero, that fits some specific configurations for my applications. I look for a dedicated server because of performance stability. I dont have my hand in the production phase of my applications.

• JarJar Member

I guess I do get the desire to have a small dedi sometimes, just because even with more CPU power I always feel like a jerk pushing everything I can on a VPS, and you can abuse a dedi to your heart's content without getting suspended for abusing CPU, I/O, etc.

@tinyray What is your budget?

• Ok, then get a quad and limit the kernel to that RAM quantity at boot

• AmfyAmfy Member

@tinyray said: I look for a dedicated server because of performance stability.

Then it would be better to look for a reliable vps provider. Only because there are a lot hosts which can't manage their servers properly (in the view of overselling) that doesn't mean that there aren't providers which are able :)

• @jarland, $30/month at most, or I stop watching TV to double that much, :)

• @Amfy, the SSH application on my desktop contains a very long list of VPS. I dont think there are such providers nowadays.

• JarJar Member

@tinyray

Get this: https://www.bluevm.com/cart.php?gid=25

I've got one. I know reviews about BlueVM are mixed, but this is quality.

• Is bluevm any good?

• JarJar Member

@bdtech I always hear mixed things about their OpenVZ, but this thing is great.

• AmfyAmfy Member

@jarland said: @bdtech I always hear mixed things about their OpenVZ, but this thing is great.

Have you looked at the link which was posted?! You can't compare this product with OpenVZ...

• JarJar Member
    edited August 2012

@Amfy said: Have you looked at the link which was posted?! You can't compare this product with OpenVZ...

I don't follow you. He asked if BlueVM is any good, not the product. I hear mixed things about how good they are with OVZ, but this KVM split 4 ways is great.

• TazTaz Disabled

@jarland another debate waiting to start KVM versus OVZ :P

• JarJar Member

@NinjaHawk said: another debate waiting to start KVM versus OVZ :P

Like comparing a wall to a tarpaulin ;)

• TazTaz Disabled

And here we go again ;)

• JarJar Member

@NinjaHawk said: And here we go again ;)

No debate, my analogy is spot on haha. Jail vs virtualization. Two very different things.

• TazTaz Disabled

Yep. Btw, fixed my centos. Thanks a lot for that hint. Did not even have to switch to oracle :D

• JarJar Member
    edited August 2012

@NinjaHawk said: Yep. Btw, fixed my centos. Thanks a lot for that hint. Did not even have to switch

Giving away my secrets ;)

Yeah I was bored, test phase, thought "This could be fun" and then had no idea that would fix the issue. Never occurred to me that not replacing the kernel would solve it. I really like to abuse my systems when testing them haha

In before "Oh my god you didn't know how to fix it you clearly know nothing about linux" from one of the people who thinks cache is supposed to build until the system crashes, and who was probably too young to walk when I compiled my first kernel...

• @tinyray said: @jarland, $30/month at most, or I stop watching TV to double that much, :)

You still watch TV? Seriouslly? I stopped 3 years ago ;/

Anyway, for 60$ you can get a erlatively good dedicated server, compared to your requirements for 768 ram.

• TazTaz Disabled

@jarland can summer be much better!

• JarJar Member
    edited August 2012

Btw here's that BlueVM semi-dedicated system I recommended:

CPU model : QEMU Virtual CPU version 0.9.1 Number of cores : 2 CPU frequency : 2500.000 MHz Total amount of ram : 3962 MB Total amount of swap : 4092 MB System uptime : 2 min,
    Download speed from CacheFly: 17.2MB/s Download speed from Linode, Atlanta GA: 6.50MB/s Download speed from Linode, Dallas, TX: 7.89MB/s Download speed from Linode, Tokyo, JP: 9.05MB/s Download speed from Linode, London, UK: 6.77MB/s Download speed from Leaseweb, Haarlem, NL: 7.23MB/s Download speed from Softlayer, Singapore: 5.10MB/s Download speed from Softlayer, Seattle, WA: 12.0MB/s Download speed from Softlayer, San Jose, CA: 28.6MB/s Download speed from Softlayer, Washington, DC: 4.97MB/s I/O speed : 276 MB/s

Just formatted. Was trying Windows 8 on it with the tablet. No downtime experienced on it.

• @zhuanyi said: Cobalt RAQ 4

Wow, I didn't know RAQ 4's even still existed. Might look into that, be fun just to play around on for a month if it still has Cobalt Linux

• @mindfreak said: Wow, I didn't know RAQ 4's even still existed. Might look into that, be fun just to play around on for a month if it still has Cobalt Linux

Yeah, I would take it if it is with original cobalt OS as well. I have just sent them an email

• Please let me know what you find out, would love to play around with it if it is.

• Is that still patched ? Must be really ancient :o M

Nobody here.

• For a small dedicated server, you can check out CoreNetworks. You can get some small dual-core non-atom servers at a reasonable price (starting at $30), but 4 cores is expensive.

• @david said: CoreNetworks

I find some of their servers pretty, meh.

25 dollars for a Celeron D with 512mb, I'd rather get a nice VPS for that cash.

Catalyst Host - Pie Approved!