Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with OpenID
Advertise on LowEndTalk.com

In this Discussion

VPS uptime contest

VPS uptime contest

bobbybobby Member
edited July 2012 in General

Currently online only, no history lane. Me: edis.at: 166 days, 5 min

Tagged:

Comments

• TaylorTaylor Member
    edited July 2012

@bobby said: edis.at: 166 days, 5 min

uptimevps 365 days, 9 min.

I know, I'm Dale Maily.

• @Taylor said: uptimevps 365, 9 min.

I severely hope UptimeVPS uses ksplice.

Daniel.

• bobbybobby Member

Really, 2nd post derailing?

• gsrdgrdghdgsrdgrdghd Member
    edited July 2012

Currently: up 96 days, 8:17 from Prometeus closely followed by 84 days, 17:34 from Carstensz Pyramid Server.

@bobby said: Really, 2nd post derailing?

We should start a thing where the first post is actually derailing, so that the 2nd post bill derail from the derailment and bring everything back on track.

President Of Operations/CEO/CFO/CTO/COO of my account

• bobbybobby Member

Both ValueVPS (Xen) and JSHosts (VZ) i had ~ 400 days, Mention record on a LEB too?

• bobbybobby Member

@gsrdgrdghd indeed hehe.

• AndriAndri Member

Mine is Prometeus, 04:22:51 up 74 days, 5:18

I trust Namesilo for my domains. Use DOLLARLESS for $1 discount.
  • BrandonBrandon Member
    edited July 2012

Mine is: up 314 days, 4 min,

• Ok everyone reboot all your VPSes and lets let this competition get going.

join us on IRC - #lowendbox on irc.freenode.net

• How about some independent proof of these claims? ;)

• bobbybobby Member

@JoeMerit Sup, Buzz Killington?

• bobbybobby Member

@sleddog like giving you root on all to check them?

• TazTaz Disabled

Seriously? No kernel updates? I wouldn't trust a provider with 1+ year uptime on a single server( cloud is acceptable) unless they can proove that they are using ksplice.

Time is good and also bad. Life is short and that is sad. Dont worry be happy thats my style. No matter what happens i won't lose my smile!

• A simple script like mine, in the bottom of the page :p

<?php
    function linuxUptime() {
      $ut = strtok( exec( "cat /proc/uptime" ), "." );
      $days = sprintf( "%2d", ($ut/(3600*24)) );
      $hours = sprintf( "%2d", ( ($ut % (3600*24)) / 3600) );
      $min = sprintf( "%2d", ($ut % (3600*24) % 3600)/60  );
      $sec = sprintf( "%2d", ($ut % (3600*24) % 3600)%60  );
      return array( $days, $hours, $min, $sec );
    }

$ut = linuxUptime();
    // If you would like to show the seconds as well just add [ , $ut[3] seconds ] after minutes.
    echo "Server Uptime: $ut[0] days, $ut[1] hours, $ut[2] minutes";
    ?>

www.erawanarifnugroho.com - powered by Prometeus XenBiz | Server Uptime status - powered by Prometeus Xen Pune
    I'm not working for any providers in here, all my comments just my own opinion.
  • @bobby said: @sleddog like giving you root on all to check them?

Don't need root to check uptime ;)

• KuJoeKuJoe Member

You all are aware that server uptime doesn't mean anything right? Please provide network uptime if you want to compare something meaningful.

Thanked by 1bamn
  • @KuJoe said: You **all **are aware that server uptime doesn't mean anything right?

Maybe..maybe not. ;)

To be honest now, never had over 2 months of overall uptime. Had around 1 year of hardware uptime on different providers, however network just tends to fail from time to time.

• SpiritSpirit Administrator

@KuJoe said: You all are aware that server uptime doesn't mean anything right?

Why so serious? Of course we know ;-)

Syscentral.de

home:~# date
    Mon Jul 30 23:50:24 UTC 2012
    home:~# uptime
     23:50:27 up 418 days, 12:29,  1 user,  load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00
    home:~#

Network uptime (hetzner) is also near perfection.

• Would anyone use my script and put it in the bottom of the page of your website? :p

www.erawanarifnugroho.com - powered by Prometeus XenBiz | Server Uptime status - powered by Prometeus Xen Pune
    I'm not working for any providers in here, all my comments just my own opinion.
  • @KuJoe said: Please provide network uptime if you want to compare something meaningful.

OK, so starting Aug 1 PungCM is a contest ;) Providers have tomorrow to check/verify their IP, or submit to get listed. First prize is... bragging rights?

• serverbearserverbear Member
    edited July 2012

Fremont Linode:

root@li91-xx:~# date
    Tue Jul 31 00:03:30 UTC 2012
    root@li91-xx:~# uptime
    00:03:31 up 349 days, 16 min,  2 users,  load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00
    ServerBear - Easy UnixBench/dd/IOPS/FIO (NEW) & Network Benchmarks | Example Report | Compare Low End Boxes
    Gleam - Run kick-ass viral competitions & rewards to grow your userbase. Free until Sept.
  • @sleddog what if the server goes down, that PungCM is on? Do we panic?

• @eastonch said: @sleddog what if the server goes down, that PungCM is on? Do we panic?

Nah :) Network or server downtime would affect everyone equally. And there's two locations....

• I can just imagine @Damian's new webpage title..

IPXCore -- 100% Uptime as confirmed by PungCM - TAKE THAT BUYVM!

• @eastonch said: I can just imagine @Damian's new webpage title..

IPXCore -- 100% Uptime as confirmed by PungCM - TAKE THAT BUYVM!

That'll be August :)

• JTRJTR Member
    edited July 2012

BuyVM (I suppose I should fix the time zone at some point):

05:28:06 up 33 days, 23:39,  1 user,  load average: 0.08, 0.06, 0.04

Dedi:

20:29:22 up 34 days, 22:28,  1 user,  load average: 0.25, 0.60, 0.68
  • 96mb96mb Member

96MB.com:

Server uptime and load: 22:54:09 up 100 days, 5:22, 0 users, load average: 0.03, 0.06, 0.00

You can see that at the bottom of the page

96MB: My Low End VPS Review Blog, 96MB Forum: Official forum for 96mb.com, LowEndPress: Low End VPS community news/tips site on 64MB of RAM!
  • deregenderegen Member
    edited July 2012
    deRegen@ns2:~$ who -b
             system boot  2011-02-09 18:02
    deRegen@ns2:~$ uptime
     10:11:45 up 537 days, 16:09,  2 users,  load average: 0.06, 0.04, 0.00

maybe Linode uses ksplice

Do you know Lake Toba?

• $ uptime 21:06:50 up 475 days, 10:00, 3 users, load average: 0.08, 0.02, 0.01

That's at my budget-vps-hosting.com's VBS184 package.

Signatures are to identify who I am. I'm me. Who the hell are you?

• fanfan Member
    edited July 2012

My longest uptime is with Dreamserver.uk.com:

root@uk:~# uptime 12:12:32 up 207 days, 17:36, 1 user, load average: 0.10, 0.18, 0.16`

• @eastonch said: IPXCore -- 100% Uptime as confirmed by PungCM - TAKE THAT BUYVM!

And then they get dropped offline due to a 600Mbit DDoS or because 2.6.32 is complete horse shit. Take...that? Come on, don't pit me against @Damian, he's one of the few hosts around here that I actually like.

Minus a few nodes with either a bad stick of RAM or the nodes we had to perform power maintenance (coresite requirement), the vast majority are in the 100 - 130+ day uptime mark. They'd be right around the 300 mark if we didn't choose to rebase all of our nodes to debian to future proof upgrades.

Our website is under more floods than any hosting website on this whole community so the fact it stays up with minimal burps is pretty rockin' no?

Francisco

BuyVM - OpenVZ & KVM Based / TUN, PPTP, FUSE, SIT & GRE Enabled! / Stallion Control Panel
    Thanked by 1ErawanArifNugroho
  • TazTaz Disabled

@Francisco Da man! You left aldryic left and even taipres left. $hits are too quiet around here.

Time is good and also bad. Life is short and that is sad. Dont worry be happy thats my style. No matter what happens i won't lose my smile!

• @NinjaHawk said: even taipres left

You're welcome.

BuyVM - OpenVZ & KVM Based / TUN, PPTP, FUSE, SIT & GRE Enabled! / Stallion Control Panel
    Thanked by 1jcaleb
  • TazTaz Disabled
    edited July 2012

@Francisco said: You're welcome.

@Francisco @Aldryic Hey I just met you And this is Crazy, But taipres left, So guys comeback maybe?

• Maybe ppl are just busy or in vacation. I am very busy lately. M

I am only representing myself :)

• RandyRandy Disabled

what is the worst uptime you guys ever get?

• @Francisco said: website is under more floods than any hosting website on this whole community

Yea... i doubt that

Opinions/Posts are to be assumed my own/personal and not company related unless obvious - Content is protected by free speech laws in the US (where LET is hosted) and Austria (where i live). Working @ EDIS and owning some others.

• @francisco I wasnt meaning to be offensive, or even aggressive there, it was the first host that popped into my head.

Really like both providers, even though I don't currently have a BuyVM box at the moment.

I've read all your blogs and posts about how you've managed to become pretty much DDoS proof. Quite an amazing feat, i'd love to see some graphs of "attempts". :']!

• jcalebjcaleb Moderator

Where is his blog? I only know frantech twitter account

• @eastonch said: @francisco I wasnt meaning to be offensive, or even aggressive there, it was the first host that popped into my head.

I apologize for coming off as a dick then

@William said: Yea... i doubt that

Our filtering service was down for about a day due to some failed hardware. Within 15 minutes of the route change our main website was getting ~1.5Gbit of UDP. Could people have noticed the route change that quickly? unlikely which makes me believe that we simply get a lot of burst floods from booters. The floods are never long, usually over within 5 minutes but it's nothing I really want to allow racking into our servers either :P Maybe we don't get flooded the most but before we put billing on a filtered IP we were getting hit every time we announced a stock run or simply hit 'for fun'. In fact our big stock run a few months back got postponed for a day while I got a server in place with awk. On our unfiltered side we place about ~150 nullroutes a month. Sure some are recurring (the same person getting a sustained flood), but it's still 150 nullroutes.

@eastonch said: I've read all your blogs and posts about how you've managed to become pretty much DDoS proof. Quite an amazing feat, i'd love to see some graphs of "attempts". :']!

Not flood proof, just protecting what we can along the path so there's less failure points. The one point I had to address a few weeks ago is one we knew of for over a year now but egi refused to help us address it. Once they were in a jam of 'nullroute his router or help him with what he wants' did they finally comply.

We don't have graphs because awk doesn't even have them. They're a cool company but i've had a ticket requesting ACL adjustments for about a week now w/o a single reply. It makes me think I could simply not pay my invoice and he'd be too lazy to unplug it. I may need to just tell him I want to put my own switch w/ a fat pipe just for handling my own ACL's because this whole 'waiting' game is annoying as all hell. :(

Francisco

• @jcaleb said: Where is his blog? I only know frantech twitter account

There isn't one, just RFO's and announcements i'll write for my.frantech.ca for upgrades/changes/etc. You can always tell when it's myself or Anthony :P

Thanked by 2jcaleb HalfEatenPie
  • @Francisco it's fine. And yeah, I assume you'll have alot of them "HF" skiddies using random $5 booters, trying to knock off websites that are hosted on your network.

Do you ever feel the effect of it? Or does the filtering work quite well?

• JackJack Member

@eastonch said: does the filtering work quite well?

Hell Yea! I use it personally for a friend of mine he was getting large floods.

Fran is very helpful via IRC too.

• @eastonch said: @Francisco it's fine. And yeah, I assume you'll have alot of them "HF" skiddies using random $5 booters, trying to knock off websites that are hosted on your network.

Do you ever feel the effect of it? Or does the filtering work quite well?

Depends on the ACL's in place on the client. If they didn't request them then yea, sometimes we'll feel some of it. I've tried to be 'nice' to justin and not ringing his private number I got to get these tickets done, but that'll change later today.

If someone has UDP filtered and they get a UDP flood? won't feel it. They'd have to throw 10Gbit+/sec to a single IP to get any sort of 'Wow, thats a big flood!' kind of reaction.

SYN Is always a hard one to deal with but I'm hoping the new revision of our filtering setup will help with that a lot more. I need to get a test bed online first though :)

I'm off to bed, good night.

Francisco

• @Francisco Good night, and thanks for clearing that up. What's the main problem with SYN filtering anyhow?

• mistertmistert Member
    edited July 2012

Uptime on openVZ-VM (1,49 EUR per month):

Uptime: 433 days 18:08:44 hours

http://www.de-punkt.de - a german vps hosting company since 1996

• DamianDamian Member
    edited July 2012

I'd also like to pop in here to point out that we're not selling services to break records. If clients want to enter contests, that's fine, but keep in mind that our services will never achieve months of uptimes because we didn't get in the ksplice bandwagon, unfortunately, and we would rather have newer kernels.

I am no longer affiliated with IPXcore.
  • And as we were talking about network uptime in the begining of this thread... Well, 150 of my IPs are unreachable, one whole vlan... Thank you Murphy. (bow)

• JacobJacob Member

PDU Uptime: UpTime: 86 Days 9 Hours 25 Minutes

• jcalebjcaleb Moderator

@mistert said: Uptime on openVZ-VM (1,49 EUR per month): Uptime: 433 days 18:08:44 hours

You tease...