Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Complaint against filemedia for defamation
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Complaint against filemedia for defamation

WellGroundedWellGrounded Member
edited August 2014 in General

Around two weeks ago, I signed up with @fileMEDIA but could not resolve my issues with them. I could not get the server setup correctly due to the really unmanaged nature of their service. I simply asked for a refund, and when they didn't offer it citing their ToS, I then proceeded to file a PayPal dispute. Note that my server was never up and running properly.

Now fast forward to today, I signed up with WSWD but they stopped me in my tracks and claimed filemedia reported me for malicious intent, claiming I used their servers to "spam" for "weeks" which is completely and utterly false. I then proceeded to sign up with another host, i-83, and they also blocked me for the very exact reason. This is obviously becoming a big problem now. I prefer to handle things professionally so I privately contacted filemedia about this whole fiasco. They blew me off. So here I am asking for assistance and a public forum to provide assistance with this matter.

What am I do in this situation? Mind you I have many hosting provider accounts with a reputation as a good customer. Please see below for the support ticket interaction between us and filemedia regarding the issue that led to us asking for a refund. Thanks.

filemedia

Comments

• RadiRadi Host Rep, Veteran

Did you buy a KVM? Some providers would deploy it with no OS at all, and you will need to install it using VNC.

• W3HostW3Host Member
    edited August 2014

Just pick another provider.

• soulchiefsoulchief Member
    edited August 2014

Your fault. Only thing is they should fix it so your reported for committing fraud instead of spam.

Thanked by 1switsys
  • How do these hosts share information?

Thanked by 1W3Host
  • AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

Working my way backwards from your ticket to your post.

1) You did not realise what you were buying, not every VPS comes ready to log in to e.g. KVM/XenHVM from ISO.

2) You are asking them how to configure the network on an unmanaged VPS, this is fairly common/ expected knowledge on an unmanaged service.

3) They seem to have given you enough info to finish the setup but you go on to insist they set it up for you.

4) They are correct they dont offer refunds you were aware of this pre purchase.

5) they go on to explain that your VPS is currently booted from ISO and you cant SSH in to a pre install environment, seems fair.

6) The VPS seems to have been delivered in a self install, unmanaged manner, fairly common I would have expected you to have seen this given that you claim to have used 250 providers.

7) You filed a paypal dispute and it seems they have reported you to fraud record and rightly so, they delivered what you paid for within the terms you agreed to and this is the result.

8) if they have lied and said you have used the VPS for spam then that is a complete outrage and yes you should nail them to the wall for it.

Just a bit of extra info. not every VPS host uses OpenVZ or Xen PV which is template driven and obviously what you are used to, even with KVM you often install yourself from ISO, you then seem to have selected a template instead but left it booting from CD-rom first so obviously you cant get in via SSH.

My opinion is that you jumped the gun, expected to much, wrongly filed a paypal dispute without good reason and then it looks like they have done the dirty and reported your for spamming which is terrible.

I think you are both in the wrong to be honest but in any event lets just hope they really did report you for spamming or it is you that is the one liable for defamation.

I think they could have explained it a bit more clearly to you, example:

Good afternoon,

It seems you selected install from ISO during sign up which may have been in error on your part so the system is waiting for you to finish the install, if you want I can just switch that to a template so you can SSH?

Let me know and I will send you a temporary root password within the next 5 minutes, please change it ASAP when you get logged in.

But they are not really under any obligation to do that and it looks like the initial cause of the whole issue was your lack of understanding.

• Defamed...in a ticket?!?!

Thanked by 1gsrdgrdghd
    edited August 2014

@kcaj said:
    How do these hosts share information?

Fraudrecord, it is hash based so your actual details don't get shared, then if someone else looks an order up it re hashes the info and looks for a match.

@WellGrounded place an order with Inception hosting if you want (don't pay obviously) and I will be able to see exactly what they reported and let you know, if you already have service just pop a ticket in I will check for you.

• TL;DR: OP bought an umanaged KVM VPS, doesn't know how to install OS and come here and complain.

@zhuanyi said:
    TL;DR: OP bought an umanaged KVM VPS, doesn't know how to install OS and come here and complain.

well, that seems to be the heart of it, deffo could have been handled better, bad expectations have not helped but a fake listing on fraud record is a really bad scum bag trick so that needs to be explored now it is public, I find it pretty hard to believe to be honest.

• zhuanyi said: TL;DR: OP bought an umanaged KVM VPS, doesn't know how to install OS and come here and complain.

I think the fraud/spam marker is the bigger thing here.

• linuxthefishlinuxthefish Member
    edited August 2014

As someone who has been listed (and removed) in fraudrecord as a 'joke' by one of my friends who runs a large VPS provider, it's not very nice trying to sign up for stuff! Good luck getting this sorted...

@linuxthefish said:
    As someone who has been listed (and removed) in fraudrecord as a 'joke' by one of my friends who runs a large VPS provider, it's not very nice trying to sign up for stuff! Good luck getting this sorted...

These days it is click of a button by the host that listed you to remove the record.

• I'm not admitting I did no wrong here. I fully don't expect a refund and am no longer actively seeking it. I am addressing the FraudReport made by fileMEDIA, like @kcaj said

• i83i83 Member

To confirm we have not blocked your recent order.

We are awaiting receipt of your eCheque payment via PayPal, your account was also flagged for review as a pre-sales enquiry came from a different name and e-mail from the account you already had with us from your previous order.

@i83 he said different, do you have the fraudrecord url?

said: filemedia reported me for malicious intent, claiming I used their servers to "spam" for "weeks" which is completely and utterly false. I then proceeded to sign up with another host, i-83, and they also blocked me for the very exact reason.

• WellGroundedWellGrounded Member
    edited August 2014

Here is the support ticket convo with WSWD that brought me to my attention regarding filemedia:

wswd

• i83i83 Member

@AnthonySmith said:
    i83 he said different,

>

@WellGrounded can post the tickets with ourselves if he wants, I cannot without his permission.

I can assure you his order has been held due to payment type then internally we spotted an issue that triggered a manual account check, further to that the FraudRecord was noted and we asked him about it, now we are just awaiting payment.

edited August 2014
    edited August 2014

Got the spam reference removed, thanks guys. Would appreciate a @fileMEDIA response

• RBHRBH Member

Wow that's a snake move on @fileMEDIA's behalf.

Thanked by 1ihatetonyy

@WellGrounded said:
    Got the spam reference removed, thanks guys. Would appreciate a fileMEDIA response

I think you appreciate it was wrong to open a paypal claim and it was you who miss understood how to use a self install server so lessons learned and all that.

The FraudRecord spam report is terrible though, honestly if I saw that I would deny anyone service.

• @AnthonySmith said:
    The FraudRecord spam report is terrible though, honestly if I saw that I would deny anyone service.

Agreed, it was rude of you to chargeback when it was an issue on your end that caused you to have an inoperable service for 2 months. However, if this is how @fileMEDIA handles their clients in such a harsh manner, I'll make sure to select someone else in their region as a host, as well as not recommend them.

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep
    edited August 2014

EDIT: Corrected by WellGrounded. It still sucks that providers out there abuse a useful database like this.

edited August 2014

@AnthonySmith @Pwner I will own it, yes, I shouldn't have done that. And it's still on the FraudRecord.

@KuJoe I don't have a clean record, the FraudRecord is still there. I'm actually a customer of yours and have been for quite some time.

• The record says:

Paypal chargeback after denied refund. Stay away!

That seems to be correct.

• If you are still looking for a host in Germany, I would recommend colorhost.de.

• gsrdgrdghd said: The record says:

It has been edited. Original record

• orakorak Member

Even a more scumbag move by fileMEDIA to just edit it afterward to save their asses.

• orak said: Even a more scumbag move by fileMEDIA to just edit it afterward to save their asses.

Looks like FraudRecord made the change.

• danodano Member

Been with filemedia for a year now, and they have been good with ticket response and friendly attitudes. One ticket took a couple of days to answer, but it was super low priority, as I assumed the answer, but wanted to verify it was ok to do so on their platform. I honestly did take a few moments to get used to fm setup, but it works fine and is intuitive enough to get through, if your patient.(if your a hot head, nothing you do in your life will work right)

Thanked by 1Upstage