Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Australia | KVM 512MB RAM, 20GB 100% SSD True Cloud Storage AU$5/mo.
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Australia | KVM 512MB RAM, 20GB 100% SSD True Cloud Storage AU$5/mo.

BinaryLaneBinaryLane Member, Host Rep
edited May 2014 in Offers

Hello everyone,

We launched a new KVM VPS service here in Australia in February. We are using Ceph and all-SSD to provide a true cloud service at LEB price. You can read more about why we think cloud storage is so great here: https://www.binarylane.com.au/cloud

We have a bespoke control panel with a wide variety of features, some of the more interesting ones are:

• external firewall with web-interface
  • upload/download disk backups
  • variety of pre-built distributions or BYO ISO
  • load-balancer as-a-service
  • OpenStack Compute API support

The Test IP/100MB file is here: http://www.binarylanecustomer.com . We are in NextDC Brisbane; our transit is predominantly AAPT and Vocus.

--
https://www.binarylane.com.au/

Comments

• WilliamWilliam Member

Are these really HA (i.e. there is a hot standby server and the SAN is redundant on 2+ nodes)? Can you announce own IP space on a larger plan? (A /24, Plan ~50$ with 4GB RAM and 50GB HDD)

• Do you support PayPal yet?

• BinaryLaneBinaryLane Member, Host Rep
    edited May 2014

@William: Yes, its really HA. The "SAN" is currently on 2 nodes - we will add more when more disk space is needed. Ceph works by replicating data across storage hosts, there would be no redundancy if you only had a single storage server. The compute hardware is N+1 - we have one warm server that is completely unused.

We could technically announce a /24 in that we operate BGP with upstream, but do not have anything in terms of control panel support for it. Get in contact if you are interested in pursuing that option.

@0xdragon not yet. We have been working on other things (notably the BYO ISO is a new addition since our earlier post), Paypal is in our May pipeline.

• @BinaryLane

Any plans for a Sydney location? GlobalSwitch / NextDC?

• WilliamWilliam Member

panel is not really an issue, just need to have it announced once and routed in the VMs VLAN - Not like there is much to change (and RDNS is external anyway).

I will probably open a ticket about it :)

@PetaByet not in the immediate future. The latency between Brisbane and Sydney is 15msec; I personally cannot tell the difference when using SSH.

• @BinaryLane Offer me a 128 MB plan please, I will pay yearly

• WorldWorld Veteran

Any special plan?Like 128MB plan :P

edited May 2014

Due to IP shortages in Australia $5/mo is as low as we can go (in fact, additional IPs are $5/mo as well). The only way I see it going lower in the future is with IPv6-only.

• @BinaryLane Do you colocate or rent servers? What are the hardware specs?

P.S. Here is a benchmark of BinaryLane (submitted more than 1 month ago): https://www.petabyet.com/result/2014-03-19-e644b768b67eaae44a707ac07abf1681/

• IPv6 only is fine :D

If the costs for IP is the main reason for lower monthly bill issue, then how about make a plan/package for lower specs but for 3 months or more. :)

• @ErawanArifNugroho said:
    IPv6 only is fine :D

If the costs for IP is the main reason for lower monthly bill issue, then how about make a plan/package for lower specs but for 3 months or more. :)

I'm being serious when I say it costs providers $5 an IP here in Australia. And to think people complain about the costs in the EU, huh?

• 0xdragon said: I'm being serious when I say it costs providers $5 an IP here in Australia. And to think people complain about the costs in the EU, huh?

What? Costs for IP only, is $5 itself? It's really expensive then. :|

• 0xdragon0xdragon Member
    edited May 2014

@ErawanArifNugroho said:

Yep, for those who've got their allocations it might be a bit cheaper. However, if you've got IPs from any dedicated server provider/datacenter in Australia, it's generally $5+ an additional IP with a cap of ~3-5/server.

Trust me, I live here ;)

Thanked by 1ErawanArifNugroho
    edited May 2014

@PetaByet we rent a rack and own all hardware (switches, servers, etc) in it. Servers are a variety of specs ranging from E5645 through current E5-2695v2.

@ErawanArifNugroho its not so much that the underlying cost is $5 (although they certainly are not cheap), its that APNIC allocate each company a /22 - period, you cannot get more. That's 1024 IPs forever. If you have more customers, too bad, you need to use IPv6 or share IPv4 - which is not really possible for VPS.

• wychwych Member

@ErawanArifNugroho said:

Yes it is, even compared to the EU let alone US.

• eLohkCalbeLohkCalb Member
    edited May 2014

BinaryLane said: each company a /22

Register a new company, request for resources, after a year close the company, and before that transfer the resources over to the "parent" company (with a merging, acquiring, or whatever reason that sounds logical and reasonable).

This method carries a pretty bad smell, but I guess some will do it when they are desperate.

• @eLohkCalb said:
    This method carries a pretty bad smell, but I guess some will do it when they are desperate.

I think APNIC will take back the /22, but IANAL.

• perennateperennate Member, Host Rep

I'm just curious, what's your disk speed like with Ceph?

• 0xdragon said: I think APNIC will take back the /22, but IANAL.

Well, the official FAQ says... http://www.apnic.net/services/services-apnic-provides/helpdesk/faqs/obtaining-resources-faqs#more22

• the /22 limit must make it very hard to startup any kind of new provider. seems like it benefits the ones who have been around longer and have funds to acquire companies for their allocations alone. Atleast with Windows XP support being dropped, SNI is becoming more of an option for regions with severe limits on IPv4. I'd imagine IPv6 adoption may be faster in such regions too but maybe not if the top few ISPs are holding most the IPv4 then they really dictate IPv6 deployments usefulness.

• And people wonder why I have been suggesting that LEB/LET institute a rule that all offers must have at least 1x IPv6 address by the end of next year......

APNIC is on their last /8, so they are in maximum conservation mode hence the maximum /22 allocation to any holder from the last /8. But as mentioned by @ctalkington most of the ISP's got plenty of decent blocks from the last two /8's in any case and have a least 2-3 years worth of IP demand in most cases.

The only way is for IPv6 to be pushed harder. There is plenty of room for leadership from companies like Google to push the issue to ISP's and also to the public about the constraints that are becoming more severe by the day.

Anyway, a great offer from BinaryLane and and one that tempts me as I have local requirements.

• kyakykyaky Member

data transfer allowance hurts hard... would give it a try if it's more.