Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Interest in Seattle?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Interest in Seattle?

We picked up quite a few servers at Seattle via the Liquid Host acquisition. We're normally in LA.

Just curious as to what interest there is in Seattle vs Los Angeles and if it's worth expanding on.

Thanks!

Seattle vs Los Angeles
  1. Seattle vs Los Angeles104 votes
    1. Seattle
      66.35%
    2. Los Angeles
      33.65%

Comments

• Seattle doesn't get enough love.

Everyone and their mother is in Los Angeles.

Thanked by 3Gunter lazyt Rapta
  • As a Western Canadian, please. The only Seattle provider that's currently reliable is Ramnode. It would be nice to diversify.

• nunimnunim Member

@darknyan said:
    As a Western Canadian, please. The only Seattle provider that's currently reliable is Ramnode. It would be nice to diversify.

^ This.

• SunnSunn Member

LA is too saturated.

Thanked by 1Gunter
  • LA needed.

• need more uk and eu. there is already enough us providers. come over here and give us decent service and cheaper prices.

• @asterisk14 said:
    need more uk and eu. there is already enough us providers. come over here and give us decent service and cheaper prices.

• lazytlazyt Member

Seattle

• Thanks to everyone that's voted. Lots of votes so far. Quite interesting. Seattle is winning too.

• ScionScion Member

Grudgingly have to vote Seattle on this one. We Pacific Northwesterners need to stick together against the hordes of Californians. (I'm from Portland.) ;)

• @Scion said:
    Grudgingly have to vote Seattle on this one. We Pacific Northwesterners need to stick together against the hordes of Californians. (I'm from Portland.) ;)

I think most people voting Cali are from Asia :p

• SpeedyKVMSpeedyKVM Banned, Member

@darknyan said:
    As a Western Canadian, please. The only Seattle provider that's currently reliable is Ramnode. It would be nice to diversify.

That's changing rapidly I feel :-). I see a lot of people, including us, deploying in seattle. We just got some of our wable nodes up in seattle today. The network in Seattle to Canada is pretty great. http://serverbear.com/benchmark/2014/04/25/DXLmJ6kdUjN1Dlfm

Thanked by 1ryanarp
  • Monsta_AUMonsta_AU Member
    edited April 2014

Seattle by a mile. (Put something into Globalswitch or Equinix SY3 please!!)

I currently have a GVH in LA & a ReverseHosts in San Diego. West Coast is much better for us down here. I am on Internode/ii so data tends to go via the Southern Cross Cable, so Seattle & San Diego are the closest points.

Just noticed you are in Burwood. I am just down in Campsie. Amazing. Will have to come up and say hello.

• Seattle for sure. More regulations coming to CA area....nuff said.

• @hdpixel said:
    Seattle for sure. More regulations coming to CA area....nuff said.

Regulations?

• concerto49concerto49 Member
    edited April 2014

Monsta_AU said: I am on Internode/ii so data tends to go via the Southern Cross Cable, so Seattle & San Diego are the closest points.

Internode peers with PCCW in LA. They also peer with quite a few other transit carriers, so it's not an issue.

You should look at Internode's network map http://www.internode.on.net/pdf/network/internode-global-network.pdf before making these conclusions. The peering points are in San Jose and LA.

Seattle won't help. It'll have to route back to San Jose or LA regardless.

• @asterisk14 said:
    need more uk and eu. there is already enough us providers. come over here and give us decent service and cheaper prices.

forget EU and US, won't somebody please think of the Aussies?!?

Thanked by 2Monsta_AU jamson
  • concerto49 said: Internode peers with PCCW in LA. They also peer with quite a few other transit carriers, so it's not an issue.

I believe there was also some transit in Seattle a while ago as I know I went direct via SXC a few years ago, but that may have changed since the iiBorg. I don't keep up with the Network maps like I used to.

It would seem my routes through to GVH are crap. Getting pings of 210-220ms, whereas Reversehosts is around 176-179ms. I will look into that further next week.

The Ramnode Seattle test IP gets ~205ms on both v4/v6, but takes different paths. Both route via SJC but v4 goes nLayer, v6 via HE. Interesting.

• Monsta_AU said: It would seem my routes through to GVH are crap. Getting pings of 210-220ms, whereas Reversehosts is around 176-179ms. I will look into that further next week.

The Ramnode Seattle test IP gets ~205ms on both v4/v6, but takes different paths. Both route via SJC but v4 goes nLayer, v6 via HE. Interesting.

That's a provider, how they run networks and transit problem. Not a matter of location.

I'm not trying to downplay Seattle. All I'm saying is your problem isn't due to location.

• Yeah, I know there is something up with the GVH route. I mean that Seattle shouldn't be faster than LA. Anyway, put something in Sydney and I won't have to worry about it!

• BrianHarrisonBrianHarrison Member, Patron Provider

Glad to see Seattle doing so well in the poll! Connectivity options in the Westin Building are fantastic. Abundant peering, affordable prices and home to the Seattle Internet Exchange.

edited April 2014

@darknyan said:

We're in Seattle too :-)

Same building as RamNode and some of the same upstream carriers as well.

In Seattle we peer with FiberHub, CNSERVERS and various entities over the SIX: http://bgp.he.net/AS62838#_graph4

@concerto49 Our AS numbers as eerily similar, at first glance I thought you were advertising our ASN in your signature ;)

• forthcloudforthcloud Member
    edited April 2014

Some interesting numbers here :) (especially #3 and #4)

DigitalOcean AS62567

INIZ AS62599

Query Foundry (Cloud Shards) AS62638

Crissic AS62639

Reprise Hosting AS62838

@forthcloud said:
    Reprise Hosting AS62938

You got our AS number off by a digit -- it is: AS62838

• I think that this would be worth adding. It really depeends on if the connectivity is good and what the price differance will be between the two locaitons.