Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How much do you think it's a reasonable price for DDOS protection?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How much do you think it's a reasonable price for DDOS protection?

If you are a VPS user how much are you willing to pay for DDOS protection for your server?

If you are a VPS provider, how much do you think is the price your customers should be able to accept?

for VPS user
  1. below 1$ per month36 votes
    1. 1-5$ per month
      30.56%
    2. 5-10$ per month
        8.33%
    3. 10-25$ per month
      19.44%
    4. above 25$
      11.11%
    5. won't pay for it
      30.56%

Comments

• NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran
    edited April 2014

Depends on many factors, obviously.

Nice DDoS protection for a container, above $25 for sure.

Resold 10 gbps 1 mpps CNSERVERS/AWK/etc, no more than $5.

• Its depends on the specification of the protection. How many PPS, what protocols, trigger mechanism, is it protection (ie blackholing) or scrubbing, maximum Gbps being scrubbed, etc.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • CakeyCakey Member

@MarkTurner said:
    Its depends on the specification of the protection. How many PPS, what protocols, trigger mechanism, is it protection (ie blackholing) or scrubbing, maximum Gbps being scrubbed, etc.

Also what happens when it gets above the limit if it will null route til request to get the IP back or a "30" minute null route.
    Everytime there's a limit the kiddies will just push all their power at once rather than for a long time.

• If you are using a server with OVH's antiddos, then nothing extra. If you have external protection, then $5 - $15 is reasonable for 10 - 20gbps

• It also depends where. If you are in a region with little to no native ddos protection, then you should probably charge a bit more

• Just switch to OVH or if you don't want to be with them directly justone of their resellers like MyCustomHosting or beastVM. DDOS protection should be a necessary feature rather than a luxury.

• howardsl2howardsl2 Member
    edited April 2014

The new OVH VPS classic or cloud (from 2.99/mo) includes (PRO!) DDoS protection aka. permanent mitigation with firewall. Just enable it in the control panel under IP.
    CA: http://www.ovh.com/ca/en/vps/
    US: http://www.ovh.com/us/vps/

Both are in their Canada BHS datacenter. Just different currency (CAD vs. USD) for your order.

They might ask for your ID to verify payment. Some people reported very poor disk I/O. Mine seems OK though, at around 100MB/s.

Thanked by 1marrco
  • Shoaib_AShoaib_A Member
    edited April 2014

@hwdsl2 said:
    The new OVH VPS classic or cloud (from 2.99/mo) includes (PRO!) DDoS protection aka. permanent mitigation with firewall. Just enable it in the control panel under IP.
    CA: http://www.ovh.com/ca/en/vps/
    US: http://www.ovh.com/us/vps/

Both are in their Canada BHS datacenter. Just different currency (CAD vs. USD) for your order.

Yes they havePRO DDOS protection but for performance conscious people I would recommend going with one of good OVH resellers.

• @K2Bytes said:

Agreed. Thanks for pointing this out.

• I'd include DDoS protection in the price of your servers.

@K2Bytes @hwdsl2 have you guys personally checked their VPS offers? Disk IO is limited, but they perform really well and even better than the average offers listed on this forum. At least that's my recent experience with them.

@DDoSHost that's easy to say when you resell OVH. Not so easy if you want to offer very costly DDoS protection.

• @Nyr said:
    K2Bytes hwdsl2 have you guys personally checked their VPS offers? Disk IO is limited, but they perform really well and even better than the average offers listed on this forum. At least that's my recent experience with them.

Well I have a VPS classic & VPS cloud from them.The performance of cloud vps which is based on VMware is alright but the VPS classic lags so badly it is almost impossible to even SSH on it.

@K2Bytes said:
    Well I have a VPS classic & VPS cloud from them.The performance of cloud vps which is based on VMware is alright but the VPS classic lags so badly it is almost impossible to even SSH on it.

Wow, I got both on the RBX datacenter and they don't lag at all...

• @Nyr said:
    Wow, I got both on the RBX datacenter and they don't lag at all...

VPS Classic or cloud? If it is VPS classic then it is possible you are on node which don't have much VMs on it yet.This is one of the reasons I am not a fan of OpenVZ as it allows you to oversell beyond imagination.I don't mind overselling as it enables optimum use of resources but 99.99% misuse this feature of OpenVZ.

@K2Bytes said:
    VPS Classic or cloud? If it is VPS classic then it is possible you are on node which don't have much VMs on it yet.This is one of the reasons I am not a fan of OpenVZ as it allows you to oversell beyond imagination.I don't mind overselling as it enables optimum use of resources but 99.99% misuse this feature of OpenVZ.

I got multiple classic and one cloud, no problems at all...

edited April 2014

@Nyr said:
    K2Bytes hwdsl2 have you guys personally checked their VPS offers?

Personally I see no problem with my OVH Classic VPS (in BHS datacenter, obtained through the private beta last month). Disk I/O test yields a little less than 100MB/s.

One of the features I like is the "rescue mode", that OVH allows you to reboot your VPS into. In rescue mode they boot a different OS while your entire OpenVZ container is mounted under /mnt. It is good for backing up your files and/or fixing IPTables errors, etc. I use this command to backup, and then sftp to my local PC:

tar --exclude="/mnt/backup.tar.gz" --exclude="/mnt/dev" -cpzf backup.tar.gz /mnt

Later if you need to restore it: reboot your VPS again into "rescue mode", upload the tar file to /mnt, and run:

cd /mnt; tar xzf backup.tar.gz --strip-components=1

Optionally, before extracting the archive you can remove everything in /mnt except /mnt/dev. However, be VERY careful if you do this - DO IT AT YOUR OWN RISK.

They also provide a so called "KVM console" which is similar to a remote VNC console to troubleshoot your VPS.

• @hwdsl2 said:
    They also provide a so called "KVM console" which is similar to a remote VNC console to troubleshoot your VPS.

What is the deal with IPv6 on the Classics...can you request more in the new Manager (v5 or v6 or whatever)

edited April 2014

@texteditor said:

From what I can see, for the VPS Classic line you only get one IPv4 and one IPv6 with NO option to order more in the manager.

• It really depends on the size of DDoS protection you require. DDoS protection is not cheap, so for anything decent I would asume way over $25