Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

OpenITC little review (bad one :( )
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

OpenITC little review (bad one :( )

netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

Well, I bought their 20usd/y VPS plan on March 19. I just wanted this for VPN purposes. I know I didn't read their: "NAT is going to be soon" text. He is "working on it", but stopped answering on March 23 about the NAT update. I sent a ticket (I think it as last week), with no luck so far. He is not answrring their page, too

http://lowendtalk.com/discussion/23778/i-m-sorry-dave-i-bought-an-ssd-node-and-sold-all-the-vps-for-1/p1

So, if you need a little support for a box, avoid them. I regret I didn't get a dotVPS offer :(

P.S. @sean , I hope you know that it is important to -at least- have a communication with your clients. I know I'm just 1 client, but at least answer me with -working on it- or -I will not do it-. Thanks

Comments

• Last time sean not answering about my refund request, and dissapear, and that is the last time I use them.

• I sent a message about a RDNS query and although he took a while to reply he did apologise for the delay. The server runs very well and I'm happy, especially for the price I paid for it. The only problem I have is running IP tables without errors.

• AsimAsim Member

Although their control panel is awesome (feature wise), the whole VPS-experience is not so awesome. I stopped using them a while ago. I had two active VPS's which I did not renew and placed a cancellation.

• seansean Member

I'm sorry you feel that way, however we did state in the advert that NAT/connetion tracking is not supported on OpenVZ, but it is on Xen and KVM. We get messages ticket updates from clients almost daily regarding this and our answer is still that it's not supported and we have no further updates. Once we figure out a sane way to support it on OpenVZ, we will send out an e-mail to all affected customers.

Stability is the primary concern here as that's what our customers like about us most. It takes time to implement something like this correctly. There are many things to consider and it's not something we can rush out a quick fix for.

If you really badly need it, go for our Xen or KVM products which support it.

• seansean Member

ErawanArifNugroho said: Last time sean not answering about my refund request, and dissapear, and that is the last time I use them.

I don't recall, do you have a ticket ID please?

• seansean Member

Asim said: Although their control panel is awesome (feature wise), the whole VPS-experience is not so awesome. I stopped using them a while ago. I had two active VPS's which I did not renew and placed a cancellation.

If I recall correctly, was it performance related?

• I had nothing but good things to say about OpenITC during my use. Extremely stable, maybe 1 reboots the whole time?

My only complaint is they decided to discontinue the location I was in (California) which I was using because it was a DDOS protected platform. It seems they didn't have enough customers using this location so the completely discontinued services there. While they did give me plenty of warning and let me know this was going to happen, they had no other product to replace this with so I was more or less SOL.

Honestly I think I may have put in 1 ticket during my whole stay with them and it was taken care of promptly as far as I can remember.

@sean its a shame you had to discontinue services in California.

Cheers!

• Nah, it's too late if you ask it for now.

Since there's no easy way to contact you except from the system/email from the website, and also I've sent you a PM to your LET account last year, but got no response, I just went to another provider after it, and leave my service unused.

• seansean Member

TheLinuxBug said: I had nothing but good things to say about OpenITC during my use. Extremely stable, maybe 1 reboots the whole time?

My only complaint is they decided to discontinue the location I was in (California) which I was using because it was a DDOS protected platform. It seems they didn't have enough customers using this location so the completely discontinued services there. While they did give me plenty of warning and let me know this was going to happen, they had no other product to replace this with so I was more or less SOL.

Honestly I think I may have put in 1 ticket during my whole stay with them and it was taken care of promptly as far as I can remember.

@sean its a shame you had to discontinue services in California.

Cheers!

Yes it's a shame. As it was rented hardware that was very old, it was not competetive enough and was making a loss. We tried to negotiate some newer hardware but we couldn't make the figures work. When our UK suppliers announced upcoming DDoS protection and filtering services we figured it's better to wait for that than invest in the US as the logistics are too difficult.

• seansean Member

ErawanArifNugroho said: Nah, it's too late if you ask it for now.

Since there's no easy way to contact you except from the system/email from the website, and also I've sent you a PM to your LET account last year, but got no response, I just went to another provider after it, and leave my service unused.

I don't receive e-mail notifications from LET most of the time. I do not know why. Basically, do not contact me on LET as I don't frequent it enough for a timely response.

• sean said: Once we figure out a sane way to support it on OpenVZ, we will send out an e-mail to all affected customers.

Disable neighbor announce, iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -s 10.0.0.0/24 -o eth0 -j SNAT --to 192.168.1.1

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

@sean what's the price to change it to xen?

• seansean Member

It depends what you're looking for. If it's an SSD package you've bought, we do not have SSD nodes available for Xen or KVM.

We can offer mechanical HDD storage with KVM at the same price.

Per 256MB RAM, you currently get 3.25GB SSD storage. With mechanical HDDs, you'd get 12.5GB.

@sean as I've told you, I don't care about the specs, I just want NAT for VPN :(

Can you switch me?

Thanked by 1camarg
  • DylanDylan Member
    edited April 2014

@sean

I really need to be able to use iptables as well and bought it based on the "soon" for that. Are you saying you could do all the same specs other than disk type/space (so CPU cores, RAM, bandwidth) for the same price on KVM as the I'm Sorry, Dave specials?

Thanked by 1netomx
  • @sean said:
    I don't receive e-mail notifications from LET most of the time. I do not know why. Basically, do not contact me on LET as I don't frequent it enough for a timely response.

could you then, please point me to a vpn setup guide or howto that would allow me to use your openvz vps service as a vpn server?

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited April 2014

Hmm... to my knowledge XenVZ always publicly stated that their OpenVZ product does not support tun/tap and they suggested their Xen product for that.

However be warned in advance: our OpenVZ products DO NOT SUPPORT TUN/TAP or some other iptables modules.
    http://lowendbox.com/blog/xenvz-openvz-xen-uk/#comment-24792

That's 2011 @Spirit

• seansean Member

alright, after a reboot of your VPS via our control panel, NAT should be available :)

Thanked by 1gattytto
  • wychwych Member

@sean said:
    alright, after a reboot of your VPS via our control panel, NAT should be available :)

This on all packages? :)

• seansean Member

Yep!

Thanked by 1gattytto
  • DylanDylan Member

What about any other iptables modules?

• seansean Member

@Dylan which do you need? most common modules should be there.

• @netomx y en el mio no pudiste?

• DylanDylan Member
    edited April 2014

@sean

To use CSF's test (on a fresh OS reload) as an example, it seems most aren't:

Testing ip_tables/iptable_filter...OK

Testing ipt_LOG...FAILED [FATAL Error: iptables: No chain/target/match by that n ame.] - Required for csf to function

Testing ipt_multiport/xt_multiport...FAILED [FATAL Error: iptables: No chain/tar get/match by that name.] - Required for csf to function

Testing ipt_REJECT...OK

Testing ipt_state/xt_state...FAILED [FATAL Error: iptables: No chain/target/matc h by that name.] - Required for csf to function

Testing ipt_limit/xt_limit...FAILED [FATAL Error: iptables: No chain/target/matc h by that name.] - Required for csf to function

Testing ipt_recent...FAILED [Error: iptables: No chain/target/match by that name .] - Required for PORTFLOOD and PORTKNOCKING features

Testing xt_connlimit...FAILED [Error: iptables: No chain/target/match by that na me.] - Required for CONNLIMIT feature

Testing ipt_owner/xt_owner...FAILED [Error: iptables: No chain/target/match by t hat name.] - Required for SMTP_BLOCK and UID/GID blocking features

Testing iptable_nat/ipt_REDIRECT...FAILED [Error: iptables: No chain/target/matc h by that name.] - Required for MESSENGER feature

Testing iptable_nat/ipt_DNAT...OK

• seansean Member

@Dylan strange - you did reboot via our control panel didn't you? If you have, please open a support ticket and we'll take a look.

• DylanDylan Member
    edited April 2014

@sean - yes, I did. I even reloaded to another OS. I sent in a ticket.

@sean it works! :D THANKS!

@dedicados said:
    netomx y en el mio no pudiste?

El tuyo no es del reino unido :p

Por cierto, se reinició hoy :(

• ahh no, el mio es de rel reino de nuevo leon eseeeee

algo has de haber echo, porque todos los demas siguen online ja

Thanked by 1netomx