Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hard Disk Failure - S1-NY - BlueVM
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Hard Disk Failure - S1-NY - BlueVM

Hello,

I understand this isn't BlueVM's support Forum, but I'd prefer to post about this before someone else makes a thread about it. We had a series of disk failures on S1-NY which lead to a loss of the VPS on it.

Hello,

>

Unfortunately as many of you are aware we had a hardware failure on S1-NY. If you're receiving this message it means that you had a VPS on S1-NY and that we were unable to salvage the data on your VPS. We've replaced the failed drives and have setup Feathur so that you can login and rebuild your VPS. If you would like we are offering one month of free service for the issue and while it won't replace any data you may have lost we hope that it will give you adequate time to rebuild and setup your services again.

>

It's rare that a server failure like this happens and we understand that no one likes to loose data. We did our very best to attempt to recover the data, but in the end there was nothing we could salvage. This is why we encourage and implore our users to maintain their own backups, just in case an event like this happens.

>

Once again we do apologize for the inconvenience. If you have any questions or wish to request the credit for your service please feel free to open a ticket with us at: https://bluevm.com

>

Best Regards,

BlueVM Support

https://bluevm.com

Thanked by 2rmlhhd Grainga

Comments

• agentmishraagentmishra Member, Host Rep

ouch

but a nice gesture...

• SetsuraSetsura Member
    edited December 2013

Not trying to pick on you or anything, but:

@BlueVM said:
    loose data

That said, good gesture giving a free month.

• yeah, the first step is admitting you don't know how to spell. use a spell checker. ;o)

this reminds me i must finish off my own backup process.

• risharderisharde Patron Provider, Veteran

What really gets me is that I have experienced these data losses from a lot of other leb providers so I have to wonder what comfort does raid really provide. Is it that some of these leb providers really dont know how to fix their server issues properly or perhaps in a timely fashion??? Sorry, not trying to derail but it really confuses me... im glad I didnt have anything important on my @bluevm vps and sorry for those that did in this circumstance. Reposted from the other thread.

• @risharde said:
    What really gets me is that I have experienced these data losses from a lot of other leb providers so I have to wonder what comfort does raid really provide. Is it that some of these leb providers really dont know how to fix their server issues properly or perhaps in a timely fashion??? Sorry, not trying to derail but it really confuses me... im glad I didnt have anything important on my bluevm vps and sorry for those that did in this circumstance.

RAID does not protect from a data loss. RAID can offer redundancy; however at best this will reduce the chance/time to data loss. RAID does not substitute for backups. At the prices many providers charge in the LEB market it is unreasonable to expect providers to take backups.

At least BlueVM do state clearly that backups are the clients responsibility:

Backups and Storage

>

1. BluevM Communications LLC is not responsible for maintaining or creating backups of >client data in any form. You, the customer, understand that you alone are responsible >for creating, maintaining and restoring your own backups of your data.

>

1. You, the customer, agree that BlueVM Communications LLC is not responsible in any >capacity, shape, method or form for ensuring your data is backed up or stored correctly. >While BlueVM Communications LLC will strive to maintain your data in its correct form >you agree that you can not and will not hold BlueVM Communications LLC responsible >for any data loss, corruption or loss of backups and understand that storage on our >services is provided without a warranty of any kind.
  • risharde said: What really gets me is that I have experienced these data losses from a lot of other leb providers so I have to wonder what comfort does raid really provide.

Without RAID you'd see a lot more incidents like this. HDDs fail. RAID controllers fails. Catastrophic failure is a statistical probability. RAID significantly reduces the probability but doesn't eliminate it. That's why you need offsite backups.

• @Virtovo - I couldn't have said it better myself. Thank you for that...

--
    We take our client's data storage seriously, but there's never a 100% fail proof system for maintaining that data.

Thanked by 1k0nsl
  • That is actually good that clients here realize that backup is important. We have been working on Eastern European market for some time, and those clients just do not get it, they expect backup to there there even if it says - no backup, you are responsible for your data. Just bizarre.

• Mark_RMark_R Member
    edited December 2013

@VDS6 said:
    That is actually good that clients here realize that backup is important. We have been working on Eastern European market for some time, and those clients just do not get it, they expect backup to there there even if it says - no backup, you are responsible for your data. Just bizarre.

they do get it, but they just dont want to and rather blame someone else for it

its human nature.

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

@BlueVM Feathr is down

• @netomx I noticed. Working on it now.

Thanked by 1netomx

@Magiobiwan said:
    netomx I noticed. Working on it now.

thx, it was pretty fast :)

• and S12-NY seems t be ddosed. bad day for bluevm?

• My poor VPN :(

• @risharde said:
    I have to wonder what comfort does raid really provide.

Absolutely none, RAID is not backup.

@cause maybe. In midnight, one of my nodes was suffering of lots of packet loss. And I was VPNing Netflix :(

• @ BlueVM new blue0.5 order will go to either S15-IL or S12-CA?

• I ordered one blue0.5 today. It's on S12-CA.

• rskrsk Member, Patron Provider
    edited December 2013

@netomx said:
    cause maybe. In midnight, one of my nodes was suffering of lots of packet loss. And I was VPNing Netflix :(

Use a free DNS to proxy, works 100 times better and faster :P @netomx

@rsk said:

got any tuto?

• so what exactly happened if i may ask?

• @Jupiter Basically, we had a dual failure. We run RAID 10 on the nodes, BUT that doesn't help much if the 2 failed drives were mirrors. Basically, one drive failed, then its mirror decided to die as well, breaking the RAID array. All RAID does is provide redundancy; it's not a foolproof backup.

• @Magiobiwan said:
    Jupiter Basically, we had a dual failure. We run RAID 10 on the nodes, BUT that doesn't help much if the 2 failed drives were mirrors. Basically, one drive failed, then its mirror decided to die as well, breaking the RAID array. All RAID does is provide redundancy; it's not a foolproof backup.

I understand, but have two disks fail at same time is rather unusual unless there is some other underlying issue. I am just asking in order to know how to avoid similar situation.

Was it raid card issue?