Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

OVH removes the 5 TB bandwidth limit // Offers unmetered 100 Mbit VPS in HK
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

OVH removes the 5 TB bandwidth limit // Offers unmetered 100 Mbit VPS in HK

rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
edited July 2013 in General

http://forum.ovh.com/showthread.php?t=89533
The bandwidth counters weren't working properly anyway;
they were fixing those since May-2013, apparently without much success;
and now decided it's easier to just switch everyone to the "standard" b/w SLA (aka unlimited).
So yay.

Comments

• But i though it was already SLA as mentioned on their website (10mbps after 5TB)

• DomainBopDomainBop Member
    edited July 2013

and now decided it's easier to just switch everyone to the "standard" b/w SLA (aka unlimited).

technically not really unlimited...

KS (Kimsufi) is 100 Mbps =32TB monthly possible if using full 100Mbps continuously
    SP 200 Mbps
    EG 500 Mbps
    MG 750Mbps
    HG 1.5 Gbps

But i though it was already SLA as mentioned on their website (10mbps after 5TB)

The speed limiting after hitting 5TB was only for the Kimsufi products. Their standard line SLA was/is "guaranteed xxxMbps "

• @DomainBop It is unlimited. If that's not enough for you, good luck finding someone who can offer you unlimited port speed.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited July 2013

Also their full VPS lineup including the Low-Latency VPS are now on 100 Mbps unmetered as well. In all locations, including Hong Kong. http://www.ovh.com/fr/vps/vps-low-latency.xml

• camargcamarg Member

They also reduced the prices for failover ipv4 by 50% !!!

0 .50 €/ Month / IP

• rds100rds100 Member

100 Mbps unmetered in HK... this won't end well.

• lbftlbft Member
    edited July 2013

So now the Mini SP (€40 for E3-1245v2, 32GB of RAM and 2x 2TB SATA drives) is "guaranteed" 200mbit on gigabit.

If the Aussie dollar hadn't just shat itself I'd be seriously considering picking one up...

• so anyone know if they allow vpn on the hk vps? Last i read from somewhere tun/tap isnt enabled.

edited July 2013

Last i read from somewhere tun/tap isnt enabled.

I think that's true, but my impression is that if you manage to use it for a VPN-like scenario without actually requiring the TUN/TAP device (e.g. by Squid proxy, SSH dynamic tunnelling, etc), they won't have a problem with that.

• @lbft said:
    So now the Mini SP (€40 for E3-1245v2, 32GB of RAM and 2x 2TB SATA drives) is "guaranteed" 200mbit on gigabit.

If the Aussie dollar hadn't just shat itself I'd be seriously considering picking one up...

That's a nice drop in price and upgrade in hardware for the Mini SP plan. The old Mini SP they were selling up until yesterday was an i5-2400, 16GB RAM for €49.99

• FFFlipFFFlip Member
    edited July 2013

0 .50 €/ Month / IP

Wish I knew this last night :/

• OVH making some big changes!

• @DomainBop said:
    That's a nice drop in price and upgrade in hardware for the Mini SP plan. The old Mini SP they were selling up until yesterday was an i5-2400, 16GB RAM for €49.99

Now I'm glad I only do monthly contracts on my SPs

• @cosmicgate said:
    so anyone know if they allow vpn on the hk vps? Last i read from somewhere tun/tap isnt enabled.

Yes, i asked them before. There are no tun/tap in their vps line of products.

And as @rm_ mentioned if your VPN setup doesn't require tun/tap then you should be able to use them.

• chrispchrisp Member
    edited July 2013

"100 Mbit VPS in HK" makes it sound like they offer VPSes hosted IN HONG KONG, which is not what they do. You can geolocate the shit out of those IP addresses and have transit to HK, but the servers are physically located in France or Canada.
    I hate that geolocation manipulation stuff. Someone here once said "Hey, yeah I can geolocate your IP to everywhere in the world" and I just facepalmed. Whats the big deal about having the REAL location of your hardware faked to a new location?

• rds100rds100 Member

@chrisp are you sure? That would be cheating then... not to call it with worse names.

• strexstrex Member

not true.
    Those "Low Latency" VPS are hosted in the country you select.
    That is why it´s called "Low Latency".
    "Choose from 9 virtual server locations across the globe

• bring your services closer to your users"
    edited July 2013

Those "Low Latency" VPS are hosted in the country you select. That is why it´s called "Low Latency".

Yep that's correct. Here are the IPs of the Low Latency VPS in HK that I had (for free) from them during the beta-test period:
    2402:1f00:2001:100::9391
    The VPS itself is no longer active, but you can see how the trace goes all the way until the very last hop.

• skaska Member
    edited July 2013

@chrisp said:
    "100 Mbit VPS in HK" makes it sound like they offer VPSes hosted IN HONG KONG, which is not what they do.

Are you sure you're not mixing up the IP failover where you can geolocate the respective IP and the low latency VPSes that are physically in the respective country?

• SpiritSpirit Member

@chrisp said:
    "100 Mbit VPS in HK" makes it sound like they offer VPSes hosted IN HONG KONG, which is not what they do. You can geolocate the shit out of those IP addresses and have transit to HK, but the servers are physically located in France or Canada.

Not in this case. I had one of those free Mikro VKS boxes from OVH in their test period and it was located properly in HK. IP was also from APNIC allocation not RIPE geolocated to Asia.

@cosmicgate said:
    Last i read from somewhere tun/tap isnt enabled.

TUN/TAP wasn't enabled in their free Mikro VKS test period but it's possible that they lifted this restriction with paid product. Maybe someone to confirm?

• pechspilzpechspilz Member
    edited September 2013

@camarg said:

0 .50 €/ Month / IP

And after a little more than a month we're back to €1 / month / IP without prior announcement, because he "changed his mind". I didn't see this one coming as Oles just confirmed a week ago on Twitter that IPv4 prices will at remain the current level. The guy is tuly nuts.