Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Initial provider reviews from PeerTube testing
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Initial provider reviews from PeerTube testing

As part of the Ops side of the my devops work on PeerTube I've setup several instances in the last few months at a variety of providers.
As part of my future plans I want to try setting it up on a small nat vps, so I need to get my post count and participation up, so here's my initial reviews.

1. Home server on fiber with a dedicated VPN. Bad Idea, waste of money. Cost significantly more than a VPS for much worse performance. Do not recommend.

2. Racknerd: first 2 I setup. Performance was exactly as promised, and have had excellent uptime. No bandwidth issues. One support issue that was completely my fault. I screwed up my initial attempts with offloading the video transcoding to a home computer instead of the VPS and pegged the VCPUs for a few days. Support cut me down to 1 cpu, and contacted me and when I was ignorant and snotty they educated me about what fair use means instead of just justifiably canceling my account. Mea culpa to anyone else on that box.

3. LA vps: 3 of the Lunar new year specials have been perfect for my test instances. Great uptime and the unmetered bandwidth gives significant peace of mind. The reason they have been great for testing is that video transcoding is the biggest CPU hog for PeerTube, and the usual 60% CPU steal goes up to ~80 during transcoding. This was extending transcoding jobs so long it was causing video duplication problems. A perfect test case for developing Bash scripts offloading the transcoding to a home computer and now the servers are performing flawlessly.

4. Letbox: got a 2tb storage server for testing offsite storage of video back catalogs for the low end instances with small amounts of local storage. Has performed perfectly in this roll so far with SSH rclone and Rsync. Further testing will push this harder.

5. TNA hosting. Sure, this box has had uptime issues and I was unable get the offsite storage to work, I've chalked that up to it being OpenVZ instead of KVM or XEN. But the performance has been perfect. It manages 1080p livestreaming with simultaneous transcoding to 480, the 500 gigs of storage looks to be plenty for most creators. The uptime issue will be moot once PeerTube gets the video redundancy fixed.

6. Reprise Hosting: $25 dollar dedicated server has performed perfectly. Used it to test hundreds of hours of transcoding and lbry node integration and other relatively cpu intensive tasks without having to worry about fair use or making my house any warmer.

7. Servarica: Performing flawlessly so far. Moved Matt Christiansen's sited after the previous site wasn't up to the livestreaming demands. Has handled 2 hour+ streams transcoded in multiple resolutions with dozens of viewers so far at the unmetered 100mbit, look forward to seeing how it performs with the gigabit option enabled. Keeping hoping for the Mammoths to come back.

8. Buyvm: Dedicated single CPU slice is working out well for a video serving instance. For livestreaming it taps out over 480p. Unmetered bandwidth and dedicated CPU mean not having to monitor as much as more limited servers which is nice. Price is significantly higher, but seems to be the consensus place to recommend to creators who may face push back with DDOS and false complaints.

Comments

• dustincdustinc Member, Patron Provider, Top Host

Hi @mcduquesne - appreciate you taking the time to leave detailed honest reviews for each of these providers. We're happy to see that we were one of the providers you've enjoyed services with. We sincerely value your business and hope to be a provider you work with for years to come.