Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Setup Iodine DNS tunnel, 'collapses' when sending/receiving any real traffic.
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Setup Iodine DNS tunnel, 'collapses' when sending/receiving any real traffic.

FreekFreek Member
edited July 2012 in Help

I am currently on holiday and the WiFi here is unsecured. But as with many unsecured WiFi Networks at hotels and airports, as soon you try to look up a page, the payment terminal shows up.
The only thing what I can do on this WiFi without having to pay is:
1. Visit the webpage of the hotel (e.g. www.greathotel.com)
2. Get the IP of a webpage by pinging it. The pings will timeout, but the DNS will give you the corresponding IP address for the domain you are trying to ping.

For educational purposes, I am trying to surf the web by bypassing this so called 'captive portal'. I followed these tutorials and all went fine:
http://trezotop.blogspot.it/2012/01/guide-bypass-captive-portals.html
http://www.putdispenserhere.com/bypassing-captive-portalsairport-pay-restrictions-with-iodine-on-a-debian-vps-guide/
http://www.h3xstream.com/d/iodine
I can connect to my tunnel with putty and can ping it, but as soon as I try to load a webpage in FireFox, my tunnel 'collapses'. It's unresponsive and nothing seems to be happening anymore; I can't type anything in Putty nor ping it.

Does anyone have an idea what could be the problem?

Thanked by 1djvdorp

Comments

• AsadAsad Member

Do you know how to use netcat? You can use that to get around the payment pages on wifi networks.

• Can I suggest openvpn on udp port 53?

Thanked by 1djvdorp
  • @AsadHaider said: Do you know how to use netcat? You can use that to get around the payment pages on wifi networks.

Can you PM/post any info on that?

• ’Educational purposes,' suuuuuure.

Leaving that aside, follow what @TheHackBox suggested.

Thanked by 2djvdorp TheHackBox
  • AsadAsad Member

@djvdorp I can't remember too much, but you use it to tunnel into a DNS server which should be unblocked by any captive portal.

I think it's similar to what @Freek is doing, and as @TheHackBox said but no other server/vpn is required.

• Some place will be bypassed by using your-freedom.

• FreekFreek Member

@AsadHaider said: Do you know how to use netcat? You can use that to get around the payment pages on wifi networks.

No, but thanks for the tip. I'll Google it and see how far I get.

@TheHackBox said: Can I suggest openvpn on udp port 53?

Tried that already, sadly didn't work :(

@Wintereise said: ’Educational purposes,' suuuuuure.

Yes. I'm not sure if you have seen my other topic yet, but I already bought 14 days internet access for a whopping 55 euros at blazing speeds of 0.17Mbps up/down. I totally forgot the option to buy a prepaid SIM and tether :( Meh.

@ErawanArifNugroho said: Some place will be bypassed by using your-freedom.

Thanks, I'll take a look.

• M66BM66B Veteran

If you're on Android, this can help you ;-)

• FreekFreek Member

@M66B said: If you're on Android, this can help you ;-)

Thanks. Stumbled on it in the Market, but can't figure out how to use it in combination with ProxyDroid.