Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Testing FreeBSD
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Testing FreeBSD

jcalebjcaleb Member
edited July 2012 in Help

I am trying to learn BSD and installed FreeBSD in a KVM. How do I test disk i/o? it seems the command I see here does not run as is. Is it expected that FreeBSD disk io to be much slower than Linux in KVM?

Comments

• What version of BSD is this?

• jcalebjcaleb Member

FreeBSD freebsd 9.0-RELEASE

• touch test
    rm test

• jcalebjcaleb Member

is dd not the right way to test for bsd?

• AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

DD is not really accurate for other OS as well.

• jcalebjcaleb Member

Thanks @Zen thats encouraging. Honestly, I am lost at the command prompt right now. But it seems it's worth it to work with BSD.

• AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

@jcaleb said: Thanks @Zen thats encouraging. Honestly, I am lost at the command prompt right now. But it seems it's worth it to work with BSD.

Yes it is, it is the most stable OS that I have worked with :)

Thanked by 1jcaleb
  • jcalebjcaleb Member

Thanks. It's a bit discouraging that most commands you know don't work (free, history, etc), and you don't know where to begin. Very tempting to reinstall with very familiar Debian. But I guess I should try and learn BSD.

• jcalebjcaleb Member

Thanks man!

• flyfly Member

fdatasync is not a thing in freebsd.

Thanked by 1jcaleb
  • # uname -a && uptime
    FreeBSD mail 4.11-STABLE FreeBSD 4.11-STABLE #0: Mon Aug  6 13:25:24 SGT 2007     admin@mail:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/MAIL  i386
     1:09AM  up 836 days, 23:38, 1 user, load averages: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00

Enuff said. Ridiculously stable as long as your hardware is stable too.

Write dd is pretty accurate, doesn't support fdatasync. Read is another story though.

• @Kenshin said: Write dd is pretty accurate, doesn't support fdatasync. Read is another story though.

That's because the BSD DD is different from GNU DD. OS X always comes with BSD DD, however I install GNU DD.

If you install GNU DD, you should be able todo the standard DD everyone around here uses.

• Too much of a BSD tools supporter. The only time I had GNU tools installed on a FreeBSD machine was due to a major sed that I needed to do quickly across multiple files and didn't want to write a bash or perl script to do it.

• jcalebjcaleb Member

I Must learn BSD

• jcalebjcaleb Member

Question though.

If all I want is a webserver for now, would you still recommend freebsd?

• flyfly Member

if you don't know freebsd, then no.

Thanked by 1marrco
  • @Kenshin said: Too much of a BSD tools supporter. The only time I had GNU tools installed on a FreeBSD machine was due to a major sed that I needed to do quickly across multiple files and didn't want to write a bash or perl script to do it.

You can have both :P

• @MrLawoodle said: You can have both :P

The benefits of majoring with FreeBSD instead of Linux 12 years ago is that I've become ridiculously adept at writing perl scripts to do the simplest of things, things that can be done with a single basic linux-included command. :)